Need some shotty set-up advice

This is a discussion on Need some shotty set-up advice within the Defensive Rifles & Shotgun Discussion forums, part of the Related Topics category; I recently purchased an 870 express magnum for my HD shotgun. I found a deal that was too good to pass up on a good ...

Thread: Need some shotty set-up advice

I recently purchased an 870 express magnum for my HD shotgun. I found a deal that was too good to pass up on a good used, but basic express. It came w/a 28" vent-rib, but I've acquired a 20" improved cylinder smooth-bore with rifle sights. I also put a Knoxx NRS stock and forearm on it.
    Now the questions:
    I'd like to put an optic (reflex) on it as I'm cross-dominant and I like that set up. This shotty is not tapped and I don't want to spend the $ a gunsmith charges. Do I go with the clam-shell mount to get a rail on top like the B-Square?
    If I do go with such a mount, does that eliminate the possibility for a side saddle? I would think so without modification?
    Next, are there tritium sights readily available to replace the stock rifle sights on my 20" barrel?
    I'd really like to have the rail mount AND a side saddle, but if I have to choose one, I could live with a nice set of "iron" night sights and go with a side saddle. It shoulders pretty well inline with the current iron sights.

What can you recommend for my situation?
    I'll keep my freedom, my liberty, and my guns. You can keep the change.

As far as your night sights, here you go: http://www.brownells.com/.aspx/pid=2...M_NIGHT_SIGHTS

And I believe if you look at Mesa Tactical, they have the shell holder/top picatinny rail combo units.

ETA--yes, Mesa makes them, it's the Sureshell Saddle Rail.
    There are no dangerous weapons; there are only dangerous men.--RAH

...man fights with his mind; the weapons are incidental.--Jeff Cooper

There is a reason they try and make small bullets act like big bullets--Glockmann10mm

Administrator
    You can get a UTG aircraft Aluminum picatinny mount for not too many beans & try that out - lowest price that I saw was $23.45 + Shipping.
    Search Ebay for "UTG 870" two pins replace the trigger pins.
    You can go with a shell holder on the stock. That's one option.

Most bolt on items are less than optimal. Having the top drilled and tapped, and having a quality optic mounted, is the best way to go, in your situation. Trying to go cheap always ends up costing you more money! Don't garbage it up, keep it light and fast handling. You can get XS Night Sights for it, if you want to, but they aren't a necessity. Too much is made of trying to make the shotgun "tacticool." Good sights, short stock and spare ammo are all you need on it.
    Suarez International Staff Instructor

"I am not afraid to go unarmed...I simply detest being unarmed. It is a contemptible and undignified condition in which to find oneself."

NRA Life Member

Mesa makes a top quality product. I would avoid stock mounted ammo carriers. If you have to shoot it weak handed it will pound you in the cheek painfully hard.
    Try not to screw up so bad they name the screw up after you. (Station 15 saying)

NRA Certifed Instructor

Senior Moderator
    If I do go with such a mount, does that eliminate the possibility for a side saddle? I would think so without modification?
    No.

All you would have to do is get some longer screws, since the side saddle and the the clam shell use the same holes.
    I would rather stand against the cannons of the wicked than against the prayers of the righteous.

AR. CHL Instr. 07/02 FFL
    Like custom guns and stuff? Check this out...
    http://bobbailey1959.wordpress.com/

Distinguished Member Array tangoseal's Avatar
    Can we have a picture of your gun? Maybe we can have a peek at some candy and recommend some candy upgrades haha!
    "I believe that the right of the citizen to keep and bear arms must not be infringed if liberty in America is to survive." - Ronald Reagan

I'll post up a pic of my 870 when I get home (Friday). I put the UTG rail and a Red Dot on it, and modified my side-saddle shell holder to work with it. I like the setup and it fits the bill so to speak.

Distinguished Member Array INccwchris's Avatar
    might i recommend a Blackhawk ATI stock for it, reduces recoil by at least 40%
    "The value you put on the lost will be determined by the sacrifice you are willing to make to seek them until they are found."

See what Bill Wilson's gang offers at their Scattergun Technologies web site.

I think I would put a white light mount well ahead of night sights on a home defense shotgun. Even the sidesaddle ammo mount is of questionable value if you haven't taken a decent shotgun training course and actually know how to use it. Before you invest heavily, go thru a case or two of promo birdshot loads to practice reloading the gun quickly!

The only other mods I suggest for HD use are a mag extension and adding a sling.
    Smitty
    NRA Endowment Member
    NROI Chief Range Officer

Some eye candy

Thanks for all the great advice. That Magpul mount looks awesome, but it is likely less costly to just have the receiver tapped. I may just try something with longer mounting screws for both saddle and mount.

Here's my 870 express magnum with a Knoxx Spec-Ops NRS stock, Command Arms tri-rail forearm, Tac-Star +3 extension, and 20" barrel with rifle sights.

I'm thinking of trying out some fiber-optic rifle sights as they are inexpensive and I hear from others that once I have my weapon light mounted on the side, the front sight will light up brightly when the flashlight is on. Since this is a HD shotgun and I need to know my target, that seems like a reasonable way to go.
    Of course I'll add a sling too.
    I'll keep my freedom, my liberty, and my guns. You can keep the change.

Sponsored Links