Saiga Conversion Question

This is a discussion on Saiga Conversion Question within the Defensive Rifles & Shotgun Discussion forums, part of the Related Topics category; I'm looking to convert a saiga rifle but not move the trigger forward. I;m looking at getting a stock that has the pistol grip attached ...

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Saiga Conversion Question

Saiga Conversion Question

I'm looking to convert a saiga rifle but not move the trigger forward. I;m looking at getting a stock that has the pistol grip attached to it. Something like this.
    http://store.carolinashooterssupply....TRAFUSE/Detail
    ]
    Anyone know if this count as 1 part or 2?
    Also what are the easy parts to switch? Not to interested in changing FCG( but might be best for compliance)

My thought was with the pistol grip I would be at 15 parts. I would change out these.
    Stock- 1 part
    Pistol Grip- 1 part
    Handguard- 1 Part
    Gas Piston - 1 part
    Still need one more.

Anyone able to recommend another?

2. Remove Ads

Mine has the stock, pistol grip, handguard and 30 rd magazine, which counts as 3 parts for a total of 6.
    Duty, Honor, Country...MEDIC!!!
    ¡Cuánto duele crecer, cuan hondo es el dolor de alzarse en puntillas y observar con temblores de angustia, esa cosa tremenda, que es la vida del hombre! - René Marqués

According to the web site you linked it counts as two 922 parts.
    You might use a US made Red Star follower for one part.

http://www.redstararms.com/index.htm?906.htm&1

ETA: I just noticed that it is actually a TAPCO part.

ETA2: This one might be better.

http://www.tapco.com/products/ak_mod...d&productId=54

Quote Originally Posted by boricua View Post
    Mine has the stock, pistol grip, handguard and 30 rd magazine, which counts as 3 parts for a total of 6.
    What kind of magazine you use? I saw the tapco plastic ones are cheap. Don't know how good they are. Any u.s. made metal ones? Saw surefire, but those are $40

Yep; a US made magazine counts for 3 parts... Mag body, follower and floorplate.

According to the CSS website, your stock counts as 2 parts.

I highly recommend changing the FCG; it's not difficult and it's so much better than the stock one.

The Saiga has 14 non-US parts. You only need to get to 10 to be compliant. You could use a US magazine (3 parts) and a US piston (1 part) and call it a day. Info on 922 compliance
    Trust in God and keep your powder dry

"A heavily armed citizenry is not about overthrowing the government; it is about preventing the government from overthrowing liberty. A people stripped of their right of self defense is defenseless against their own government." -source

Quote Originally Posted by zeppelin03 View Post
    What kind of magazine you use? I saw the tapco plastic ones are cheap. Don't know how good they are. Any u.s. made metal ones? Saw surefire, but those are $40
    My mag is a Surefire. I have not compared it to any other US-made mags, but according to what I've researched, it seems to be one of the better options for Saigas.
    Duty, Honor, Country...MEDIC!!!
    ¡Cuánto duele crecer, cuan hondo es el dolor de alzarse en puntillas y observar con temblores de angustia, esa cosa tremenda, que es la vida del hombre! - René Marqués

Senior Moderator
    I changed one out yesterday.

If you don't do anything else, change out the FCG. Get rid of the Clintonesk linkage and parts and go from a ratty trigger pull that has more take-up than a jet landing on a aircraft carrier and replace it to a nice, slick 4 pound trigger that will allow you to shoot 5 shots in less than a second.

Do it right. Move the trigger group forward, install a pistol grip, stock and it will change the whole feel and appearance of the gun.

Replacing the stock on the factory gun with an hermaphrodite one makes it not only look funny, but it causes people to say "uuuggggghhhh" when they see it.
    I would rather stand against the cannons of the wicked than against the prayers of the righteous.

AR. CHL Instr. 07/02 FFL
    Like custom guns and stuff? Check this out...
    http://bobbailey1959.wordpress.com/

Quote Originally Posted by HotGuns View Post
    I changed one out yesterday.

If you don't do anything else, change out the FCG. Get rid of the Clintonesk linkage and parts and go from a ratty trigger pull that has more take-up than a jet landing on a aircraft carrier and replace it to a nice, slick 4 pound trigger that will allow you to shoot 5 shots in less than a second.

Do it right. Move the trigger group forward, install a pistol grip, stock and it will change the whole feel and appearance of the gun.

Replacing the stock on the factory gun with an hermaphrodite one makes it not only look funny, but it causes people to say "uuuggggghhhh" when they see it.
    That is certainly convincing. How does the FCG mount? I've seen a metal clip you can use. just not sure on how it would work.

Senior Moderator
    There are tutorials and pictures galore on a website called Saiga.com. Everything you need to know is there. The whole website is dedicated to Saigas in every caliber.
    check it out.http://forum.saiga-12.com/index.php?act=idx People that have never done it can make a pretty wicked looking shotgun with a minimum amount of tools.

Here is a pretty typical conversion.

Do yourself a favor and check out the site. It'll answer all of your questions, and if not, I'll be here to talk you through it.

Heres a small clip of my son shooting a Saiga that I built the other day. We are function firing it. This is shooting low brass Winchester, 7 1/2 shot. As you can see they are fun guns, this one dumpin a 5 round mag in less than a second.Imagine the fun of a 10 round mag or a 20 round drum. Click on the picture, its actually a video.

I would rather stand against the cannons of the wicked than against the prayers of the righteous.

AR. CHL Instr. 07/02 FFL
    Like custom guns and stuff? Check this out...
    http://bobbailey1959.wordpress.com/

Quote Originally Posted by zeppelin03 View Post
    I'm looking to convert a saiga rifle but not move the trigger forward. I;m looking at getting a stock that has the pistol grip attached to it. Something like this.
    http://store.carolinashooterssupply....TRAFUSE/Detail
    ]
    Anyone know if this count as 1 part or 2?
    Also what are the easy parts to switch? Not to interested in changing FCG( but might be best for compliance)

My thought was with the pistol grip I would be at 15 parts. I would change out these.
    Stock- 1 part
    Pistol Grip- 1 part
    Handguard- 1 Part
    Gas Piston - 1 part
    Still need one more.

Anyone able to recommend another?
    Since the Saiga comes without a pistol grip, the pistol grip is not an "eligible part" so the stock/pistol grip counts as only 1.

Swith the mag to an American made and you get another 3 parts switched.
    Gun Control: The theory that a woman found dead in an alley, raped and strangled with her panty hose, is somehow morally superior to a woman explaining to police how her attacker got that fatal bullet wound.

-- L. Neil Smith

Congrats on getting a Saiga, it is yours and you should do what you want to it. The only thing I strongly recommend (as others have already mentioned) is to put the FCG back where it belongs and enjoy it the way it was made to operate. It is not hard to do.

Pictured is my first 7.62 Saiga that underwent a couple stages of transformation. First (top) was a tapco T6 and USA mag. It was legal with high capacity and adjustable LOP. The pistol grip was held on to the collapsible stock with a sheetrock screw...not AK standards.

Second (bottom) was a FCG relocation, tapco saw grip, kvar stock and USA mags. HUGE improvement with the new FCG. The Warsaw length stock improved balance as well.

Currently (right) comblock mags w/bullet guide, USA gas piston, performance mainspring and Hogue grip, it wears a TLR-1 Streamlight at night sometimes too. I like the Hogue grip feel and the lighter mainspring has been fine so far, faster trigger. The comblock mags are cheap and reliable with minor adjustments.

I had a lot of fun trying things out and seeing what worked good etc. The reason I picked up a Saiga in the first place was to work on it, and as you probably already know they are quality affordable "sleeper" AK's.

Second pic is my 5.45. I ran her stock a hundred + rounds before conversion to make sure everything was OK under warranty and then wrenched on it. I really like the Ultimak with red dot...much faster acquisition. Currently I'm putting a Bulgy 74 break on. At .13 a round it is one fun practice AK.

Enjoy your Saiga, don't count the pistol grip as a part, and shop wish confidence (and speedy delivery) at CSS.

Those look good. I'm getting excited about doing this.

Thats what I loke about it. I can make it my rifle.

Here is a great little online tool that helps in 922(r) compliance...

http://jobson.us/922r/
    Gun Control: The theory that a woman found dead in an alley, raped and strangled with her panty hose, is somehow morally superior to a woman explaining to police how her attacker got that fatal bullet wound.

-- L. Neil Smith

Easy to do the conversion , but it is your choice so shoot it how you want. Just pay close attention to the 922 and everyone's opinions about it.

Quote Originally Posted by zacii View Post
    Yep; a US made magazine counts for 3 parts... Mag body, follower and floorplate.

According to the CSS website, your stock counts as 2 parts.

I highly recommend changing the FCG; it's not difficult and it's so much better than the stock one.

The Saiga has 14 non-US parts. You only need to get to 10 to be compliant. You could use a US magazine (3 parts) and a US piston (1 part) and call it a day. Info on 922 compliance
    I'm pretty sure you'll also need to replace the thread protector, if you have one. It counts as a muzzle attachment and an additional foreign part. If somebody knows otherwise, please tell.
    pro-CZ's, pro-AR's, anti-CZAR's

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Links