Need your opinion - Rem700 vs Savage111

This is a discussion on Need your opinion - Rem700 vs Savage111 within the Defensive Rifles & Shotgun Discussion forums, part of the Related Topics category; So, i am planning to start some hunting next year, and i want get myself a rifle. Ive done some research online, and two rifles ...

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Need your opinion - Rem700 vs Savage111

Need your opinion - Rem700 vs Savage111

So, i am planning to start some hunting next year, and i want get myself a rifle. Ive done some research online, and two rifles seem to pop up the most.

The Remington Model 700, and the Savage 111. It seems that people online are about 50/50, but most admit that both rifles are good buys.

I'm looking mostly for something that's accurate right out of the box, without much tinkering, and is not rocket science to strip and clean.

I appreciate any opinions you guys have to offer.
    You tried your best and you failed miserably. The lesson is 'never try'. -Homer Simpson

2. Remove Ads

VIP Member Array automatic slim's Avatar
    I've always had great luck with the Remington. With a scope it can hit anything you can see. Cleaning and maintainance is a snap.
    "First gallant South Carolina nobly made the stand."
    Edge of Darkness

Both good brands but I've had my Browning A-bolt .300 Win mag for 28 years and I wouldn't trade it ever for anything else in the world.
    G30SF XD45Tactical

VIP Member
    The Remington 700 is the 'gold standard' all other rifles are measured against... Savage makes quite good rifles, but if I had the choice, I'd pick the 700, in a heartbeat... Remington has the history, great customer service and quality and it's the choice of the military.
    "Texas can make it without the United States, but the United States can't make it without Texas!".... Sam Houston

Retired LEO
    Firearms Instructor
    NRA Life Member

I would go with the 700. It is hard to argue with history. Granted Savage has some pretty neat features, simplicity and longivity always wins with me.
    Good people do not need laws to tell them to act responsibly, while bad people will find a way around laws. Plato

Go with the Remington, always have gone with the 700's and never have been disappointed. They shoot well, solid rifles, keep them clean and lubed, they will not let you down!
    God Bless the troops...especially the snipers!
    -LaRue Tactical -

Surprised no one has spoke up for the Savage. I had a similar debate , ended up going the Remington and cannot complain.
    I don't make jokes. I just watch the government and report the facts. --- Will Rogers ---
    Chief Justice John Roberts : "I don't see how you can read Heller and not take away from it the notion that the Second Amendment...was extremely important to the framers in their view of what liberty meant."

VIP Member
    Savage has probably the most accurate out of the box rifle there is. The new accu triggers are fully adjustable and safe, whereas you adjust the trigger on your 700 or change out the trigger group you have now voided your warranty.
    I am still shooting the same Savage 110 FP that I bought in the 80's for use as my sniper rifle. It has been put in a different stock and has a sharpshooter trigger group, this was before the days of accu trigger, but it will still shoot 1/2 groups or less if I do my part. The 700 has a great rep also but to me there are just a few more perks with the Savage.
    You can't go wrong either way.
    "A first rate man with a third rate gun is far better than the other way around". The gun is a tool, you are the craftsman that makes it work. There are those who say "if I had to do it, I could" yet they never go out and train to do it. Don't let stupid be your mindset. Harryball 2013

if you like a 8 pound trigger, get the rem.

if you want a more accurate gun, with a adjustable trigger down to 2.5, that you can change out the barrel at home to any other caliber with no gunsmith involved, and for less $, get the savage...

GM
    My vote goes to the Remington.
    "The Second Amendment: America's Original Homeland Security"

I have had both, and couldn't see a nickels worth of difference other than price. The military uses the Remington, but it is customized with different barrels and bedding. I think both are of the push- feed design, where some people prefer controlled round feeding if used for dangerous game. What I liked about the 110 savage I owned was it had a free floating barrel from the factory. If you are going for optimum accuracy, the bedding is what makes the difference in consistant groupings. You can't go wrong either way.

Distinguished Member Array USPnTX's Avatar
    You really can't go wrong with either the Savage or the Remington. They are both great rifles and are very accurate. I know you didn't ask about any other options but if I were you I'd look at the Tikka. IMHO it is the best buy for a rifle out there!! I bought one in 25-06 a couple of years ago and have been really pleased with its performance. So much so, that I no longer use my Remington 700 (30-06) for whitetail hunting. Just food for thought
    "Do not fear those who disagree with you; fear those that do and are too cowardly to admit it" - Napoleon

ntg
    Can't go wrong either way. If you don't want to "play" with it, don't get a Rem as they need work (usually) to make them reach their full potential. A-bolts, and Howa/Vanguards, are great right out of the box like the savage. I have a howa/hogue set up in 22-250 that was such a good deal I thought I'd try it. It's never shot over 1.25'' with anything I've feed it and with my reloads and me doing my part it's always printing .5'' or less. I've done nothing with it to include the Nikko scope that came with it, which by the way really is a pretty good scope for a "package deal" scope...much better scope than the one Remington is putting on its recent ADL package that some dealers are getting this year. The T/C venture is getting a very good reputation quickly, but I've only fondled one in the store and have an accuracy guarentee like the vanguards. They seem like good quality. Just giving you some other things to look into.

Oh, FWIW, I have an old Rem721 in .270 that's a shooter and I'll never sell!
    M&P Shield9; RIA 1911 Tactical 9mm;...many long guns

Distinguished Member Array phreddy's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Ring View Post
    if you like a 8 pound trigger, get the rem.

if you want a more accurate gun, with a adjustable trigger down to 2.5, that you can change out the barrel at home to any other caliber with no gunsmith involved, and for less $, get the savage...
    I have a nib remington 700 SPS DM in .270 that has an adjustable trigger down to 2.5 lbs.

VIP Member
    Ok here is the deal. They both make a decent rifle but the difference between the two is huge. Remington is a high end rifle with better everything (steel,bluing,stock etc). Savage WAS a bargain priced rifle with a reputation for good accuracy. The problem is that Savage has gained so much popularity for being a good rifle at a great price that they were able to cash in on their rep and sneak the prices up every few years. It now costs as much to buy a Savage as it does a Remington. For years they were not competitors in the same price bracket but now a Savage is just as pricey as a top shelf rifle. Go to a gun shop and compare the two side by side and you will easily see how much better the Remington is.

The Remington 700 outsells every other rifle in America by a huge margain. It has done so for something like 30 years. It is renowned for it's accuracy, quality and dependability. To be fair, Savage makes a decent product but against a Remington (or Browning) they're out of their league.

ETA: When you compare the two take note of the savage's bolt. It has plastic washers and a seriously ugly pinned spacer at the back. Then work the action a few times....Yuck! Then try the 700...smooooooth. :)
    It is surely true that you can lead a horse to water but you can't make them drink. Nor can you make them grateful for your efforts.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Links