AR 15 Help Needed

This is a discussion on AR 15 Help Needed within the Defensive Rifles & Shotgun Discussion forums, part of the Related Topics category; I need help deciding what I should do. The guns currently in question are: Mossberg 500 Savage 11FXP3 in .223 I've been bitten by the ...

View Poll Results: What should I do?

Voters
12. You may not vote on this poll
  • Buy M&P 15-22 and not sell anything

4 33.33%
  • Buy M&P 15 and sell Mossberg

1 8.33%
  • Buy M&P 15 and sell Savage

6 50.00%
  • Buy M&P 15 and sell Mossberg and Savage

1 8.33%

Thread: AR 15 Help Needed

AR 15 Help Needed

I need help deciding what I should do. The guns currently in question are:
    Mossberg 500
    Savage 11FXP3 in .223

I've been bitten by the AR15 bug and would really like one. The only problem is that I've only got about $600 to play with, unless I sell one or two of the above guns. What I'm looking to buy is an S&W M&P15OR from CDNN for $599 after the S&W rebate. On top of the rifle I would need sights, probably MBUIS for about $100. This would mean that I need to sell the mossberg and/or savage to feel financially comfortable.

My other option is to pick up a S&W M&P15-22 for about $450. If I do this, I wouldn't need to buy anything else. I've already got a .22 that is fun to shoot, but I like the idea of .223 a lot more than .22lr.

The other thing to keep in consideration is ammo cost. I know .22lr is A LOT cheaper than .223, but I'm set up to reload. I don't get to the range as often as I would like so I don't think ammo cost is a huge consideration.

Would I be giving up much accuracy with the AR15 over the Savage? I'm not a fantastic shooter but I do enjoy slapping a gong around at 200-300 yards.

As far as the shotgun goes, it was an impulse buy more than anything else. If I pick up an AR15 then it would be my SHTF gun, rather than my pistol and shotgun. I'd also like to add that shooting the shotgun is "fun", but not exactly economical. It's more of a "look what I can do" kind of fun.

SO, what should I do?

How much do you think I could get for a Mossberg 500 with 6 position adjustable stock, plus the "stock" stock.

How much do you think I could get for a Savage Arms 11FXP3 in excellent condition with less than 100 rounds down range?
    Guns don't kill people, people kill people...and chimps do, if they have a gun

2. Remove Ads

Why not buy the AR and leave it without sights until you can save another $100 for the MBUIS, that way you wouldn't have to get rid of any guns!

Quote Originally Posted by SpencerB View Post
    Why not buy the AR and leave it without sights until you can save another $100 for the MBUIS, that way you wouldn't have to get rid of any guns!
    I've thought about that too, but I'm not sure I'm comfortable spending the $600 on something I won't be able to use.

true, good point. Try selling something else you own. Have an extra tv laying around, or some old clothes you aren't wearing? Extra couch? I would try to sell something else not my guns.

I'm a big fan of adding to a collection, so, if you can wait a little longer save a few more bucks and just add the AR to your existing collection.
    Don't believe what you hear and only half of what you see!
    -Tony Soprano

You said you have a 22 now, why would you want a 15-22?
    An AR-15 223 should be able to replace the Savage 223.
    By the way CDNN no longer has the AR-15 OR on sale.

If you really want to get yourself into the AR15, and it's going to be the S&W (whatever it is at what you're looking at a good price).......I'd sell the Savage if you really need to. You'll be getting a .223 (or something that will shoot the .223) anyway. If that makes up the difference, I'd say do it. Keep the shotgun. You need to be versatile. The Savage bolt rifle.............was this purchased as a hunting rifle? You can still hunt with an AR15 in most places. Some have magazine restrictions for hunting. Check your local laws. Accuracy? I don't know about the M&P 15. I do know that you should expect good accuracy out to 500yds on just about any AR15 you intend to buy. Any mil-spec should be good enough to hit a one meter target at 500yds. Leaving 300yds to the shorter barrel AR15s, and the longer range to the full length barrels 16-20". You might expect as much from the AR15 of your choice, but in my opinion, your basic semi-auto will never beat a bolt action rifle for accuracy especially at longer ranges. The semi-auto is a faster second shot, and holds more ammo in the magazine. The carbine is of lighter weight.
    Sights? Scopes? What conveys with your Savage....and what do you actually need for the possible M&P 15 you're thinking about getting?
    As far as the rifles go......you've already got a 22lr rifle, so why get into a dedicated 22lr AR? That's really not the route you want to go. Get your .223 (AR) for a .223 in my opinion. What's the Savage bolt gun worth if you were to sell it? Depends on where you're selling it. You'll come out better selling on your own than consignment. Sell to a gun shop and you'll take a loss. I guess it all boils down to what you really want to do. $500? "Bitten by the bug" can sometimes obscure our vision and our thinking...into the future and what seems right for us at the time. Sometimes we just have to sit down, and methodically pick over our reasoning in taking action. I've had the burning hole in the pocket before.....I've had the wants, and the needs. It's never easy actually....especially if it comes down to letting one go in lieu of.......... It's taken me the better part of 15 years to obtain everything I need in the way of firearms. Wants are still there for sure. But I've been wise in the ways I've traded and or bought. Getting 'bitten by the bug' is one of those things you need to work out yourself. Getting stung....and wishing you hadn't done it is something else. I've personally come out on the better end of any dealings with firearms, and I always will. Just one of those things that may be luck, experience, or taking interest in and growing up in the market when the market was good and versatile. Things just don't seem to be as easy nowadays.
    Good luck with it all. I know you want to get into that AR15. Keep your shotgun and you'll have two SHTF guns and a bang-a-gong rifle.

Here's my 2 cents.
    An AR clone in .22 is no fun to shoot.
    I got all excited about the GSG-5 and got one.
    No recoil, no noise, no real feeling of shooting a real gun.
    I have a Colt in .556 and it is a blast to shoot.

Yeah, I can shoot the .22 all day for not much money, but I get bored fast.
    Stick with the real thing.

RKM
    I'm "ehh" on .22 AR-15's. When it comes down to it the, AR is a battle rifle and while many suggest the 5.56 is nothing more than a glorified .22LR, well, they suck. Get an AR in 5.56 and be happy. I'd definatly keep the shotgun. I know nothing about the Savage, but I'd think the AR in 5.56 may be a good replacement.

AR's are a lot of fun and super addicting! I want to get a magnifier for my holosight so bad, but I need to buy some bulk .223 ammo first.

Don't sell anything, wait ,save and buy an AR15 in 5.56. If you have to sell, sell the savage. Always have a shotgun...

Thanks for the help so far everyone! I'll give it a little longer and think about it. CDNN's catalog says the prices are valid through October 1st, so it should still be good. I'm also going to check out the local shooting places and see what their prices are like.

Quote Originally Posted by reyno2ac View Post
    Thanks for the help so far everyone! I'll give it a little longer and think about it. CDNN's catalog says the prices are valid through October 1st, so it should still be good. I'm also going to check out the local shooting places and see what their prices are like.
    I called CDNN about a week ago, they said they were out of stock and wouldn't have any more at the sale price.

Assuming that you have another shotgun, who doesn't have more than one smoothbore?

Sell both and buy the .22LR and the 5.56. That way you can keep the collection the same number. Personally I'd try to keep saving money, but the 5.56/.223 first and follow it up with .22LR caliber plinker ASAP. Also, while I selected that you sell both, I'm not really a fan of selling guns and would urge you to reconsider if at all possible. I'd sell my toaster and microwave before I sold a gun, if that tells you anything.

Biker

Distinguished Member Array pirate's Avatar
    On a trade you almost always lose out. Just save up for a while and keep the other firearms and but the M&P 15-22. Which is only my short list also.
    When I leave the home port:
    S&W 642 Airweight, Ruger SP 101, Colt Detective Spec., CZ RAMI, Kahr PM9, Kahr CW40, S&W Model 10-7, Glock 30, 19, and 26, Browning Hi Power, CZ82, Colt Commander, Dan Wesson PM7, Ruger LCP

I'm assuming that the savage has an optic on it, that scope could be put on the AR until you have the cash to get a dedicated sighting system for the AR.
    I've already got a .22 that is fun to shoot,
    There is no real point in buying a new overpriced .22 the only point to the m&p .22 besides cool factor is lower cost training with the AR manual of arms. Which makes no sense if you don't have a .223 caliber AR. There are reasonably priced conversion kits or .22 caliber uppers you can get later for that purpose

I wouldn't sell the shotgun since they are handy to have and you most likely won't get much out of it used.

If the deal isn't available on the S&W look at picking up a kit and lower and putting it together your self. It's satisfying to assemble it yourself, you can buy the parts as you get the money, and you wife doesn't realize you're buying another gun if you sneak it home one part at a time. I just helped a friend put one together and I think he was about $750 total with flip up rear sights and a couple of p-mags. Shoot me a PM if you want some resource to check out if you want to go that route.

Not knowing your full situation I would sell the Savage if I had to, buy a AR in .223, and keep the shotgun. I'm not a fan of selling guns but I will if I'm replacing one with something that will do the job better. The AR, once you get an optic, will do everything the savage will do out to 200 yards and you're not going to shoot much further than that in MI. You can hunt with the AR in MI if you get a 5rd mag for it.

Now that I've confused you a little more, my work here is done
    We the willing, being guided by the unknowing, Doing impossible feats, for the ungrateful, Have been doing so much with so little for so long,
    We now feel qualified to do, absolutely anything, with literally nothing

Links