Need Some advice on a Storm

This is a discussion on Need Some advice on a Storm within the Defensive Rifles & Shotgun Discussion forums, part of the Related Topics category; Went to my local Gun store yesterday looking for a new plinker pistol because I sold my S&W to a friend. Everything was going great, ...

Thread: Need Some advice on a Storm

Went to my local Gun store yesterday looking for a new plinker pistol because I sold my S&W to a friend. Everything was going great, had a Walther P22 in hand, started the paper work when the owners son brings out a Customers used Beretta CX4 Storm that was never shot ? for 750.00 I went for the storm because it sounded like a deal so I put a down payment on it, and the P22 I could get anytime. Is the Storm a good weapon ? have there been any problems with them ? Did I do the right thing ? on the way out there was a pallet of ammo, I left with 2000 thousand rounds of ammo and no plinker. I think I need therapy ?
    Attached Images
    No free man shall ever be debarred the use of arms. -- Thomas Jefferson

I have never shot one, but I have done some reading on them and they have been well received with no particular problems that I have read about. You must decide if you did the right thing, I do find value in the pistol caliber carbine. Personally, I prefer the Israeli type platform for this application, but I am probably prejudice as that is what I have and use.

Personally I am not a huge fan of pistol caliber carbines. My AR is about the same size as a storm and carries a lot more effective round. If I was looking for something strictly for plinking I would go with a dedicated .22lr which can be had for a lot less then 750.00 and is overall a lot cheaper to shoot then a pistol caliber carbine.
    -It is a seriously scary thought that there are subsets of American society that think being intellectual is a BAD thing...

Senior Member Array mr surveyor's Avatar
    I recently traded/sold my CX4 Storm (9mm) just because my fun money has been somewhat limited the last year and a half...and I wanted something new and different. The pistol round carbine can fill a niche in many cases, for some people. I figure that my entire area of my huge, sem-rural "estate" can be covered with a 75 yard capable firearm. The CX4 is totally capable of that, but my pump guns with 00 Buck will do the same. As for the quality.... it IS a Beretta, and the craftsmanship is great. The major complaints from most CX4 owners has been with the buffer and the trigger group. Both have been addressed with third party replacement parts that seem to be successful. A bit of research of the Beretta forum will give you tons of info on these offerings from "Sierra Papa"..... the kits for these parts have been offered by Brownells for about a year now. Had I decided to keep the CX4, I would have checked into the adjustable trigger (metal instead of tuppereware), and probably put back a spare buffer or two. My main reason for letting the CX4 go was due to personal vision problems that tend to limit my ability to use all but stable long range optics. I would also have preferred a quality light/laser combination on the under rail (or side rail). Accuracy from a bench rest was definately "combat accuracy", giving consistant 4 inch groups, poa/poi. Take down and cleaning are very simple, and the complete ambidexterous nature of configurations lets you build it to suit your own preferences.

I would say that if you want/need a pistol caliber carbine, the CX4 is almost perfect.

surv

It's a nice smooth shooter for sure. My experience is limited to one day at the range, and a couple of brothers that were gun club members had one out at the range while my wife and I were shooting our SLR-95. They kind of took interest in that, and we took an interest in the Storm. Conversation from there on opened up like a thunderstorm in the desert. Before you know it, I handed the one brother the SLR and 30 round mag at our bench, and I had the Storm in my hands at their bench. They were shooting at 25yds with it and a laser attached. I used the open sights instead of the laser. It is a real smooth operator for sure! All I did was 30 rounds. Come to find out, the guy asks me about the laser they had on it and why I didn't use it. Turns out I'd tried one of the same brand, and he says it's hard to keep zeroed. I stated that I had the same experience with the same brand laser months previously trying it out on my AR-15. Lots of things come together at the range. Never know. But that's my experience with the CX4 Storm. I liked it! For what it's worth. I have too many things on my list of wants at this time to rank it effectively. LOL!
    Interesting no doubt. On the cost and a good deal? I couldn't say without searching the internet.

I would only be interested in a pistol caliber carbine if it used the same mags as my pistol.

Otherwise, I'd reach for my shotgun or Mini 14. For pure fun, it's hard to beat a .22.
    The more good folks carry guns, the fewer shots the crazies can get off.
    www.armedcitizensnetwork.org - member
    Glock 30, 19, 26; Ruger SP101, LCR, LCP (2), Mini 14; Marlin 336 .30-30; Mossberg 500
    CT Lasers

Distinguished Member Array AutoFan's Avatar
    I like the handgun caliber carbines/rifles for the fun factor. Yes, 22lr are cheaper to shoot, but shooting a handgun caliber carbine feels more like a regular gun. The extra fps you get out of the longer barrel is a definite plus, and they are easier to shoot than a pistol or full power rifle. My concern would be the price - is $750 a good price on a used Storm?

Well, I've been considering selling mine to help fund my Saiga 12 conversion. I was thinking of letting it go for $775 and that's with 5 20 round Beretta OEM mags. I paid $770 for the gun new early this year, & those 20 rounders go for around $50 apiece. So I've got right around $1000 into this gun. And even for how much fun it is, I've still only got around 600 rounds fired downrange with it.

$750 for just the gun? No, I wouldn't pay that much for one used.
    "Stand your ground, don't fire unless fired upon, but if they mean to have a war, let it begin here!" - John Parker April 19th, 1775 Lexington, MA

Μολών λαβέ!

I'm going to go with the Walther and pass on the storm. I only found one or two who had problems with their CX4 Storm, recoil spring guide rod broke, and the other wasn't happy with the plastic trigger.. and changed it out for a metal one. For the most part it was all positive, Thanks for the feedback guys
    No free man shall ever be debarred the use of arms. -- Thomas Jefferson

EAJ
    I have both. The Walther P22 is fun to shoot, but the earlier ones were problematic and some required work (mine did) out of the box. Check the rimfirecentral forum for more information and DIY repair guides.

I also though about getting one of those. But the price is too much for what it is.

I would go with the Keltec sub 2000. Its the same concept except it folds, you can get it in glock mag style 9mm and 40cal ( The glock mags go up to 30 rounds), and it's less than half the price.

They got favorable reviews everywhere. And i hear they are also more accurate. 31 rounds of 40cal and a 16 inch barrel fitted with a red dot and tac light sounds pretty sweet for home defense.

Google them and you will see.
    Mossberg 590a1 12g 20" 8+1 Spedfeeder, modified Limbsaver butt.<>Glock G30 45 auto<>Beretta 92FS 9mm Inox
    <>Smith & Wession 360 357mag<>Marlin 60ss, Bushnell 3-9 scope<>Kel-Tec Sub2k 9mm Glock mags, quick release red dot sight<>
    All I need Is a Sig 226 .40. And .556 tactical carbine of some sort.

Distinguished Member Array Black Knight's Avatar
    I have a Beretta Cx4 Storm that I bought in 2004. I was sent to the factory for an Amorers course so I got mine relatively cheap. It is set up to match my Beretta 92F pistol. I love it. Got to the Beretta forum for more info on the Storm.

Distinguished Member Array Colin's Avatar
    Mine is in .40cal, it seems to be the calibre that gets the most out of the long barrel, for Canadian legal reasons had the barrel extended which gives me a 10rd non-restricted rifle. These things are stunningly accurate and I regularly plink out to 200m with 170gr cast SWC with 4.0gr titegroup. It has rarely jammed in the thousands of rds put through it and those were ammo related. In the 16" barrel 135gr will match M/V with a .44mag with a 5" barrel.

Links