Soooo many ARs to pick from...some guidance

This is a discussion on Soooo many ARs to pick from...some guidance within the Defensive Rifles & Shotgun Discussion forums, part of the Related Topics category; Way too many to choose from. I'm looking to spend less than $1000. I'm thinking flat top so I can mount optics. I like the ...

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Soooo many ARs to pick from...some guidance

Soooo many ARs to pick from...some guidance

Way too many to choose from. I'm looking to spend less than $1000. I'm thinking flat top so I can mount optics. I like the M&P15 optic ready model, but is that too bare bones? It comes with NO BUIS.

Daniel Defense makes a nice rifle...but a lot of loot.

Any help appreciated.

Thanks.

2. Remove Ads

I don't know much about all the brands out there, but I have owned a Rock River Arms, which was a great rifle, and currently have a Bushmaster a2 and Colt a2. Having carried and used the Colt in my 8 year USMC tour, I think it and the Bushmaster are great. I like my rifles bone stock, and understand how to "dope" the sights to hit men size targets from 200-600 yards. Personally, I have no use for a flat top, nor optical/ electronic sites on rifles meant for rugged battlefield conditions. I know they have been used by our armed forces in this latest war, but I also know they have plenty of replacements and batteries to go around, which we do not have, especially in a shtf situation. But I would say any rifle made to milspec with a chromed lined bore and chamber, and a good phosphate or parkarized finished will work for you.

VIP Member
    I have the M&P optic ready AR-15. I think it is very nice.
    Last edited by atctimmy; September 28th, 2010 at 04:46 PM.
    Mark Twain:
    The government is merely a servant -- merely a temporary servant; it cannot be its prerogative to determine what is right and what is wrong, and decide who is a
    patriot and who isn't. Its function is to obey orders, not originate them.

Bushmaster xm15-e2s.

Made it through Tactical Response's Fighting Rifle class, 2 days, 1500 rounds dry...then only needed 1 shot of grease after 700 rounds to continue without further issue.

i personally have a rock river and love it, would love to pick up a bushmaster some day also ive heard nothing but good things about them from many people.

Here's some light reading with plenty of info for you.

http://forums.officer.com/forums/showthread.php?t=81462

Biker

VIP Member
    LOL I feel your pain. There are as many opinions about AR's as there are models out there. It is easy to get overwhelmed by all of it.
    The link posted by BikerRN will help.

Some feel that unless the base gun is MIL SPEC you are doomed from the start. Most AR platforms will do everything you want them to do as long as you maintain them correctly for as long as you want to shoot them. MIL SPEC guns are properly staked in all the right places and usually have very few problems. The main thing is to decide what you are going to do with the rifle and plan from there.

Personally I prefer the true flat top rifles as opposed to those with the standard front sight. Magpul among others make strong sturdy BUIS that wont break the bank that can be added at once or if you want optics first added later. BUIS are exactly that, BACK UP, should your optic fail. Should your optic fail if needed you can simply shoot through the tube if you do not have back up sights on the rifle.
    Everything will revolve around budget here. A good shooting rifle can be a complete disapointment if you mount a $12.00 red dot. Get the rifle, iron sights and save for a decent optic. You think choosing the rifle is confusing wait til you shop for and optic. SWFA and Optics Planet both have decent prices and good variety.

The M4 series of rifles was meant to be a short, lightweight carbine for targets at moderate distances. Nowadays everyone adds so much stuff that now you have a short, heavy carbine that does not shoot any better. I tend to keep my rifles simple. A stand alone or surefire fore grip light, backup iron sights, an optic of some type and that's it. It serves a purpose nothing more nothing less.
    The current M4 that I am getting is being put together with a Troy monolithic rail system, BUIS, surefire light, and a U.S. Optics 1-4 or a Elcan Spectre DR. It is based on a MIL SPEC upper and lower with 1/7 twist, 14.5 inch true M4 barrel with a permanent flash hider attached. It will have only a couple of extras being a Noveske end plate for the QD sling swivel and Knight ambi selector switch and a SOPMOD stock. It is simple direct and to the point but will do everythng I need it to do. Here is the base rifle I am starting with:

Shop around and if you can go somewhere and look and play with the rifle it will help a lot. Good luck in your search.

Lead Moderator
    Lots of good brands that work well. I went with Stag and like it.
    "In matters of style, swim with the current; in matters of principle, stand like a rock." Thomas Jefferson

Nemo Me Impune Lacesset

I say checkout BCM (www.bravocompanyusa.com) for their AR. I also recommend checking out www.m4carbine.net and reading their stickies on their knowledge forum and make an informed decision on your next purchase
    Magazine <> clip - know the difference

martyr is a fancy name for crappy fighter
    You have never lived until you have almost died. For those that have fought for it, life has a special flavor the protected will never know

Distinguished Member Array Jason Storm's Avatar

Cool

I own a Rock River Arms LAR-15 "Entry Tactical" semiautomatic rifle in 5.56mm/.223 Remington. Excellent customer service from them as well.

VIP Member
    S. Florida, north of the Miami mess, south of the Mouse trap
    +1 for Glockman's suggestion. Forget the geewhiz, GPS tracking, laser guided, MP-3 crap so commonly added to ARs and get a basic set of sights and learn to shoot. Electronics are going to crap out on you at the worst moment, but you almost have to knock iron sights off to have them fail.

You want a sniper rifle? Get a real one with real optics. For a SHTF situation, put the bead on the target and let fly.
    Retired USAF E-8. Remember: You're being watched!
    Paranoia strikes deep, into your heart it will creep. It starts when you're always afraid... "For What It's Worth" Buffalo Springfield

I forgot to mention, I shot my rifle with Iron Sights for about a year before I put the EO Tech on.

As mentioned by Tacman, get the good rifle and save for the optics. I have a fifty dollar copy of an Aimpoint. It sucks, but works well on a $200 rifle, but not a $1200 rifle. Since this thread was started I'm considering going back to Iron Sights. I had my EO Tech conk out on me one day recently and didn't have spare batteries.

My suggestion is to buy the best rifle you can afford and slowly add what you need. Then start adding what you want. As I noted earlier, I didn't add much, and had a functioning, dependable, and quality rifle right from the start.

Biker

Quote Originally Posted by BikerRN View Post
    Here's some light reading with plenty of info for you.

http://forums.officer.com/forums/showthread.php?t=81462

Biker
    +1
    I've been recommending that site to everyone. It's written for cops, but it has a ton of good information. Forums like AR-15.com are too advanced for the first time buyer, this one is great.
    By the way, he ends up liking the CMMG, and I ended up buying a Colt 6920, but I knew why, and I love my one and only AR.

I am a big fan of el cheapo AR copies. Provided you just want to poke holes in paper with it, and get it for the right price.

For $800 you can get an excellent mil-spec rifle or carbine from Spike's Tactical

For $850-$900 you can get options better than Colt from BCM.

If you pay more than that for crappy companies like Bushmaster, RRA, Stag or Armalite, who take short-cuts in parts quality and assembly processes, it's your money. Provided they are priced correctly, you can afford to fix the problems you get, but hey, when quality guns are as cheap as Spike's or BCM, I just don't see the point.

I've read myself into confusion over the past 2 months researching exactly the same thing. I almost bought a couple others that were in stock in some of the local gun stores. I discovered that a lot of the features desired by those who are very familiar with the AR platform don't come on some of the common brands' models that sell for under $1K. With the guidance and advice of a few DC members I ended up going with Spike's Tactical. Spike's offered a complete rifle for $809 with some of the same features at more expensive AR's. I placed my order last week....spoke with Garrett at Spikes to get all the stuff that I wanted. They were very honest in answering my questions.

Ultimately I ended up ordering a Mid Length, chrome lined barrell, quad rail, combat trigger, FDE ladder guards, Hard Chromed BCG, MBUS sights, FDE CTR Stock, Ergo Grip, FCG spring upgrade, carrying case...etc. They essentially are building exactly what I want and I ended up just over the $1K mark. You could go without some of the upgrades I ordered and be WELL under $1K for an excellent rifle. They even gave me credit for the parts they were swapping out, so your not paying for stuff that will end up in a box.

Call Garrett, x114, at Spike's Tactical.....he will take care of you. Their contact info is on their website at www.spikestactical.com

Good luck!

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Links