Defense Shotgun , Semi or Pump, Rem or Moss?

This is a discussion on Defense Shotgun , Semi or Pump, Rem or Moss? within the Defensive Rifles & Shotgun Discussion forums, part of the Related Topics category; Any of the above mentioned shotguns will work. Just get the one that you like, for whatever reason, and then get professional training. You'll be ...

Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Thread: Defense Shotgun , Semi or Pump, Rem or Moss?

Any of the above mentioned shotguns will work. Just get the one that you like, for whatever reason, and then get professional training. You'll be happy as a duck in water
    Trust in God and keep your powder dry

"A heavily armed citizenry is not about overthrowing the government; it is about preventing the government from overthrowing liberty. A people stripped of their right of self defense is defenseless against their own government." -source

2. Remove Ads

Distinguished Member
    I think I am going to have to forget about the 1187. I can't find one and the best answer I could get as to when it would come in was 30 to 60 days. Buds has a 870P for $658, so I am going to think about it this weekend.

Has anyone dealt with Buds, good or bad?

They have sold out since last night, just my luck.

I'm not trying to start an argument,but all the people that say don't get an auto evidently haven't shot all the autos.I have a 12ga auto Verona(italian made).I've shot skeet,trap,hunting for over 10 years now and it has never malfunctioned in any way.It holds 5 plus 1 stock from the factory.I would bet my life on it without any qualms at all.a big plus for auto's is that they keep the recoil way down also.

Quote Originally Posted by BikerRN View Post
    Read the part in bold for what some of us would call, a big clue.

You have here a person that uses the semi-auto platform shotgun frequently, yet chooses the pump action for defensive usage. That says a lot.

Biker
    Not to bust on Sixto, but also refer to Post #5 and the line that starts with "Masaad"

VIP Member
    Quote Originally Posted by redrick View Post
    I think I am going to have to forget about the 1187. I can't find one and the best answer I could get as to when it would come in was 30 to 60 days. Buds has a 870P for $658, so I am going to think about it this weekend.

Has anyone dealt with Buds, good or bad?

They have sold out since last night, just my luck.
    I have 20 or so variations of the R 1187 and every other model mentioned including the 870 P - Buds is not the best price in town
    If you understand, things are just as they are... If you do not understand, things are just as they are....
    - Zen Saying

Distinguished Member Array Jason Storm's Avatar
    I have a Mossberg 590 "Special Purpose". I am sticking with it because it is the only shotgun I have trained with most of my life, starting with the Mossberg 500s in the military. I like it for its simplicity, low cost, and reliability. As a matter of fact, I am going to take my father out to the outdoor range tomorrow to fire off buckshots from the 590. It will be his first time.

Quote Originally Posted by SpencerB View Post
    Definitely go with a pump, less prone to jamming. And both Remington and Mossberg make quality pump shotguns, perfect for HD. Whichever one you choose will work just fine.
    +1. I love my Mossberg 500a! Better than an 870 I have shot, FYI.
    Semper Paratus

‎"People sleep peaceably in their beds at night only because rough men stand ready to do violence on their behalf." - George Orwell

GM
    I like pump action. My vote goes to the Remington 870P.
    "The Second Amendment: America's Original Homeland Security"

Administrator
    Quote Originally Posted by nedrgr21 View Post
    Not to bust on Sixto, but also refer to Post #5 and the line that starts with "Masaad"
    Mas does bring a good arguement to the table, I do not disagree with him. But, you can do so much more with a well made pump, its just a more versatile firearm. With that said, I do prefer autos in everything else shotgun. I own an 1187p, and its a fantastic gun. I wouldnt cry if that was my only choice. But, I can run anything I find laying around in my 870P so that is what I stick with.
    "Just blame Sixto"

I know Mas, and it's Massad not Masaad by the way, and as Sixto noted he does bring a good argument to the table.

The Pump Action, as Sixto noted, is much more versitle. Both platforms have their pluses and minuses and one will have to find what works best for them. I personally have found Pump Actions to be more "user friendly" to the beginner, but others may find otherwise.

Mas likes a traditional stock on a blunderbuss, from my conversation with him on the matter. I do not, as I much prefer a pistol grip to go with my butt stock. Mas makes a good arguement for it being easier to disarm you, and he's right. The thing is, I like the controlability with the added pistol grip. It allows one to really push the butt stock in to one's shoulder, making follow up shots faster in my expirience. It also allows me better one handed operation, as the pistol grip can be used to lever the shotgun in place if needed. I also find the accuracy improved when shooting slugs at longer distances. I find it to be more ergonomic, plain and simple.

I also find the Pump Action to be more tolerant of neglect and harsh use. Both platforms may "jam" but I'll not have to worry about changing some rubber washer with a Pump Action.

In short, I find the Pistol Grip Buttstock to work well for me. YMMV.

Biker

Note: I'm not trying to put words in Mas' mouth, but rather recalling a discussion that we had two years or so ago. I may have recalled the conversation wrongly, or misheard him, but this is what I recall and heard, to the best of my recollection.

VIP Member
    I would go with a pump. I have a Mossberg 500 that I have had for 25 years or so. It came with a 28" interchangable choke bbl and a 24" slug (cylinder) bbl. This was my primary (only) shotty for years. I used it for hunting, trap, skeet & sporting clays as well as home defense. When my son got old enough to shoot, I pulled off the wood stock and bolted on a plastic tactical stock with 5 length settings so the stock length could grow with him. I have also acquired an 18" bbl and pistol grip for home defense. This is one shotty that can do it all - not that others can't. Unless you have a shotty for each occassion, the mission adaptability of the pump is hard to beat.
    It's the Land of Opportunity, not the Land of Entitlements - Vote America!!!

"When governments fear the people there is liberty. When the people fear the government there is tyranny." Thomas Jefferson

You are only paranoid until you are right - then you are a visionary.

Sponsor
    What ever you go with, be sure and get one of these for your home storage needs. (Guard Dog not included)

ShotGun Holder System

Guy

www.TigerHolsterSystems.com www.TigerRacingProducts.com
    Tiger Holster Systems
    Peace of Mind at Arms Reach

GM
    Why do some people appear to think that Massadís words are the only right? He is a very skilled man, but that is it; he can be wrong too like all other mortals.
    "The Second Amendment: America's Original Homeland Security"

I have a Benelli M3 Super 90--that is both a semi-auto and pump action....best of both worlds...
    Magazine <> clip - know the difference

martyr is a fancy name for crappy fighter
    You have never lived until you have almost died. For those that have fought for it, life has a special flavor the protected will never know

Whatever you use, whether pump or semi, just learn how to use it. That's all; it's not rocket science.
    Trust in God and keep your powder dry

"A heavily armed citizenry is not about overthrowing the government; it is about preventing the government from overthrowing liberty. A people stripped of their right of self defense is defenseless against their own government." -source

Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Links