Defense Shotgun , Semi or Pump, Rem or Moss?

This is a discussion on Defense Shotgun , Semi or Pump, Rem or Moss? within the Defensive Rifles & Shotgun Discussion forums, part of the Related Topics category; Benelli M1 or Remington 870 action express, there are no other shotguns, only pretenders...

Page 5 of 5 FirstFirst 12345

Thread: Defense Shotgun , Semi or Pump, Rem or Moss?

Distinguished Member Array INccwchris's Avatar
    Benelli M1 or Remington 870 action express, there are no other shotguns, only pretenders
    "The value you put on the lost will be determined by the sacrifice you are willing to make to seek them until they are found."

2. Remove Ads

VIP Member
    Quote Originally Posted by INccwchris View Post
    Benelli M1 or Remington 870 action express, there are no other shotguns, only pretenders
    Wow, you are easy to please.
    I don't carry Benelli but I don't thing H&K is Importing the M1 model any longer. Most of what I have seen for the Super 90 used is in the $900+ range.
    The Remington 870 Express is $250-350 depending on options and where you buy.
    Given a choice, I know which one I would take.
    If you understand, things are just as they are... If you do not understand, things are just as they are....
    - Zen Saying

VIP Member
    S. Florida, north of the Miami mess, south of the Mouse trap
    Quote Originally Posted by zacii View Post
    Whatever you use, whether pump or semi, just learn how to use it. That's all; it's not rocket science.
    Brilliant! Some see the obvious; some never do.
    Retired USAF E-8. Remember: You're being watched!
    Paranoia strikes deep, into your heart it will creep. It starts when you're always afraid... "For What It's Worth" Buffalo Springfield

VIP Member
    Quote Originally Posted by chiefneon View Post
    Howdy!

The Benelli M3 has a selector ring that when twisted changes it from semi auto to pump action.

I don't have any trigger time with the Benelli M3 other then armorer training. As stated all ours were M1 Super 90. The M3 is a very good shotgun and if I found one for the price of the M1 I would buy it. But if you fine a M3 your going to pay quit a bit more for it. One of the reasons for the use of the M3 in Military and LEO is the use of breaching and gas round are low power and have problems cycling. I for one did not have any issues with this and trained to cycle the bolt if needed (good clearing and stoppage drills).

"Happy Trails"
    chiefneon
    The Benelli shotguns are real pieces of art. I'm sure if I had an M3 semi auto/pump I would probably keep it on semi-auto. I would not use it enough to warrant the price tag even though I admire the engineering and craftsmanship.

I might think about an 11-87 but I would want a 21" barrel.
    If you understand, things are just as they are... If you do not understand, things are just as they are....
    - Zen Saying

Not much experience with others,heard especially good things about Moss and Rem.I do have a Benelli M2,flawless.I recommend just that,Comfortech stock and Surefire light.M2 is preference from others in Benelli line because of the recoil operation as opposed to typical semi auto gas.

Senior Moderator
    I've only seen 1 guy mention the Saiga 12, which is what i have had my eye for a short while. does anybody know some pros/cons on the Saiga line?
    I convert them.

Pros...
    Saiga's are the fastest shooting shotgun on the planet...faster than a Benelli.
    Saigas are magazine fed. If you must, you can load buck in one mag, slugs in another, or even 6# for up close inside.
    They are fairly cheap, most can be had for 550 bucks, in many cases LESS than semi auto's.
    They are semi auto.
    They have two settings, one for higbrass and one for buck/slugs. The higher setting has less recoil so its easier to shoot.
    The Saiga has a low axis bore, so recoil is more straight back than up like most shotguns.
    the Saiga has a whole industry devoted to custom parts.

Cons...
    They need to be reworked to shoot low brass. If done correctly, they will cycle anything.
    They aren't as well know as the more popular brands.
    To buy the shotgun and have it converted with custom parts will usually double the price of the gun.
    Finding someone to do a conversions can be tough,most manufactures, myself included, have a waiting list.
    Saigas are open choked. An open choke ain't much good past 20 yards. The ones I build have Polychoke Breachers which take care of that, but they are 100 bucks but well worth it.

Heres the thing...
    Saigas made their debut in 3 guns competitions, where you used shotgun, rifle and pistol. 12 rounds were fired with the shotgun, this included a rapid reload. The Saiga has 2, 5,6,8,10,12 round magazines, so there was no reload at that stage if you had a Saiga. While others were reloading, the Saigas rocked on and beat everyone. It got to be that if you didn't have a Saiga, you just weren't competitive. Since then, they have classified them in a different category to even things up.
    A converted Saiga can shoot 5 shots per second. I don't care how fast you are with a pump, you wont beat that. I have won many steaks over the years shooting my 870 faster than most semi autos, but not against the Saiga. They are as customizable as an AR. Stocks, pistol grips, forearms, optics, you name it, you can get it and are only limited by your imagination and checkbook. They are made in many different configurations.

I personally believe that if it has been properly converted, the Saiga is the best combat shotgun made and that everything else is old news. Many people poo-poo that idea, until they have shot one. I have made many converts myself, I just let the gun do the talking and that is usually all it takes.

With the magazines available, the 10,12 20 and even 30 round drums, the reload capability is second to none. While you are thumbing rounds in your shotgun, I've dropped a mag, stuffed another one in and am back shooting before you are even near topped off. I have seen people shoot two ten round mags in the time it took to reload a conventional shotgun.

If you can afford to trick one out there is nothing better.
    The further a society drifts from the truth, the more it will hate those that speak it...- George Orwell

AR. CHL Instr. 07/02 FFL
    Like custom guns and stuff? Check this out...
    http://bobbailey1959.wordpress.com/

Page 5 of 5 FirstFirst 12345

Links