Rem. 770?

Rem. 770?

This is a discussion on Rem. 770? within the Defensive Rifles & Shotgun Discussion forums, part of the Related Topics category; Does anyone have this, or have thoughts on it. I know it's fairly new. Saw one at my local fun store for 329.00 Kinda have ...

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Rem. 770?

Rem. 770?

Does anyone have this, or have thoughts on it. I know it's fairly new. Saw one at my local fun store for 329.00 Kinda have a gut felling this gun is a bit funky. For the scope and price.

Come with a Bushnell scope...I think the cal was .270? How is that round?

Thought I would swing by here for some input before really thinking 'bout it. Since the only bolt action rifle I've had exp. with is my Mosin Nagant 91/30 from '43.

The round is fine, but I'd look for a used Rem 700. Have seen the 710 and 770 and was not impressed at all.

The 270 Winchester is a great round, one of the most popular and versatile out there. That being said, look elsewhere for a rifle, as I've heard nothing but bad things about both the 710 and 770 rifles. A used Remington/Winchester/Savage could be found around the price you mentioned and would be well worth the money spent

Distinguished Member Array Siafu's Avatar
    The 770 looks like it was made by Phillipine farmers out of recycled pot metal. If you are looking to fly "economy" go with a entry price-point Savage. At least with a Savage you get that spectacular Accu-trigger. Remington is a husk of its former greatness. My 25 year old Model 700 BDL Varmint Special in .22-250 is a work of art. I wouldn't take a 770 even if I won it at a gun raffle (I'd take the cash equivalent instead).

ntg
    In the quality/inexpensive bolt action category you can do better. A savage is a good option, a mossberg art100(4x4 same thing) or a marlin xl7 have been real good too. Out of all of them the XL7 seems to be the best to me, but all 3 are acceptable. Pass on the 770. FWIW Remington is marlin too, now.
    M&P Shield9; RIA 1911 Tactical 9mm;...many long guns

Senior Moderator
    The 770 as well as the 710 is a no frills rifle meant to be shot by the guys that only shoot their rifles a few times a year, mostly at deer season. With that being said, they are great guns to lay on the back of a 4 wheeler, bang off of trees when lifting them up in a deer stand, and if you get some mud,dirt or blood on them it wont hurt them.

As such, it works great. It never was meant to compete with anything else. The manufacturing techniques used are a bit different, but they operate as well as anything out there and I have seen some suprisingly good accuracy from the 710's. The 770's are the same action, andf although I have not personally shot one, I would see no reason not to purchase one.

Most of the people that badmouth them have never shot one, or owned one and are only repeating what they read on the net.

The .270 is a great round that will kill most anything in the U.S.
    I would rather stand against the cannons of the wicked than against the prayers of the righteous.

AR. CHL Instr. 07/02 FFL
    Like custom guns and stuff? Check this out...
    http://bobbailey1959.wordpress.com/

Distinguished Member Array Dragman's Avatar
    The worst rifle that remington has ever produced! More exspensive and less gun than the savage edge packages. Boo just Boo for this rifle.
    To crush your enemies, to see them driven before you, and to hear the lamentations of their women

I asked the same question a while back. Generally the powers that be suggest doing a search for such threads. I guess it's been a while, and the search function isn't as friendly as it used to be.
    http://www.defensivecarry.com/vbulle...gton+model+770

VIP Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Frogbones View Post
    Does anyone have this, or have thoughts on it. I know it's fairly new. Saw one at my local fun store for 329.00 Kinda have a gut felling this gun is a bit funky. For the scope and price.

Come with a Bushnell scope...I think the cal was .270? How is that round?

Thought I would swing by here for some input before really thinking 'bout it. Since the only bolt action rifle I've had exp. with is my Mosin Nagant 91/30 from '43.
    The 710 felt cheap the 770 is the "improved version" it now has a metal receiver. You may like its looks but most think it is just butt ugly. It is a basic economy model packaged with a cheap $30.00 Bushnell scope. If you like Remington, the 700 SPS is a much better rifle. If you want a better rifle packaged with a scope I would look at the Marlin XL7, Savage Edge, Savage 111FXP3 w/ Accu-Trigger or Steven's.
    If you understand, things are just as they are... If you do not understand, things are just as they are....
    - Zen Saying

While the 770 may be good for what it is, I think it boils down to there are better values (bang for your buck) out there, both new and used, that will last generations.

Yeah, I typed rem 770 in the search bar...zip...then typed 770...zip, so I posted.

Will take a look into other packages too. though it's still consideration.

Thanks.

Well I actually own one and by no means is it any where near as bad as what folks here are telling you. Long story but I ended up buying it for my son on a spur of the moment thing. I got a .308 and it holds 1" groups all day long at 100 yds. By no means would I have one of these for a range rifle I put a lot of rounds through, but if you are getting it to hunt a few times a year with, it will do the job just fine.

It is so funny how many people bad mouth stuff they have never owned.

Distinguished Member Array Dragman's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by DaxE View Post
    Well I actually own one and by no means is it any where near as bad as what folks here are telling you. Long story but I ended up buying it for my son on a spur of the moment thing. I got a .308 and it holds 1" groups all day long at 100 yds. By no means would I have one of these for a range rifle I put a lot of rounds through, but if you are getting it to hunt a few times a year with, it will do the job just fine.

It is so funny how many people bad mouth stuff they have never owned.
    It's kinda unfair for ya to assume that everyone who bad mouths it hasn't owned one. I also don't believe that only people who have owned them will have a valid opinion on them. Will this gun be functional at shorter ranges and get the job done for the average person YES, is it the worst of the cheapy guns in it's catagory YES.
    To crush your enemies, to see them driven before you, and to hear the lamentations of their women

Distinguished Member Array alachner's Avatar
    The Remington 770 looks like a toy gun made in China. I would go for the Remington 700 or 750.
    "If you carry a gun, people will call you paranoid. That's ridiculous... If I have a gun, what in the hell do I have to be paranoid for?" [Clint Smith - Thunder Ranch]

Quote Originally Posted by Dragman View Post
    It's kinda unfair for ya to assume that everyone who bad mouths it hasn't owned one. I also don't believe that only people who have owned them will have a valid opinion on them. Will this gun be functional at shorter ranges and get the job done for the average person YES, is it the worst of the cheapy guns in it's catagory YES.
    Well I dont understand how you can have a valid opinion on something without owning it. I guess if you know someone who owned something and they told you about it...well wait a sec that would be word of mouth hu. And why are these guns only functional at shorter ranges and what are you considering shorter ranges.? Also how did you come up with they are the worst in its category? Like I said before, if you are looking for a rifle for 1000yd range time, look somewhere else. If you are looking for a hunting rifle and it will only be used for hunting and a little range time, this will do it for you just fine for $300.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Sponsored Links