scope mounting help

This is a discussion on scope mounting help within the Defensive Rifles & Shotgun Discussion forums, part of the Related Topics category; I inherited an old savage model 120A...single shot .22 Great little shooter but I'm having trouble mounting a scope on it. I have seen the ...

Thread: scope mounting help

scope mounting help

I inherited an old savage model 120A...single shot .22 Great little shooter but I'm having trouble mounting a scope on it. I have seen the same rifle with a simmons 3-9x32 mounted on it with 3/8's dovetail mounts. I picked up that same scope today but the 3/8 dovetail all the way tightened is still a few hairs short of grabbing the rail tightly...I need some ideas or insight how to make this work. anyone ever have this problem? I'm taking my nephew squirrel hunting tomorrow and would really like to try this old rifle out.

just a few hairs shy of grabbing the rail.
    Vermont does not issue Permit/Licenses to Carry a Concealed firearm. Vermont allows anyone
    who can legally own a firearm to carry it concealed without a permit of any kind.

2. Remove Ads

Take a file to the sloped part of the mount that the screw goes through.

Thanks, that's what I was thinking but just wanted to see if there was another way. Probably what I'm going to have to do though.
    Vermont does not issue Permit/Licenses to Carry a Concealed firearm. Vermont allows anyone
    who can legally own a firearm to carry it concealed without a permit of any kind.

I made a rather extensive reply that somehow got lost. Either it's the forum of my FireFox not sure. Today's dovetail mounts wont always exactly fit your dovetail. I've been down the road with a few air rifles, and my previous marlin 65C. You can offset the mounts (front mount screw left and rear mount screw right and this may help. Filing on the jaws will only put more tension on the screw and the top of your rings. You'll be fighting things to keep your scope reticle aligned, and may very well dent the tube of the scope. .002 shim stock over the dovetail may get you where you need to be. Thing is..........you'll need to work with it. Best advice I can give is to try the Weaver Quad lock rings for your dovetail. They are the most forgiving IMO as the floating jaw side bites a lot lower than most standard ring mounts. Just be sure to index your scope and cross-hairs while at rest in the lower half of the rings, then tighten down the top halves accordingly. Kudos on taking your nephew out for the squirrel hunt. Getting our youth involved always deserves a pat on the back! My best wishes for to you both!
    I'd like to see a pic of him holding his first squirrel by the tail right here on the forum!

From looking at the pic, I swear I think you have the wrong mounts. The scope rings will not be centered even if those tightened up. I think you have the ones meant for a weaver adapter mount, such as the kind that goes on a rifle using the tapped factory holes in the reciever. They both look very close to the eye. Also those rings look very high which would make it hard for proper stockwell to be achieved for a youngster. Check this out with place that sells them by comparing them side by side....dont depend on the salesman, they often are not familar with alot of things.

Quote Originally Posted by glockman10mm View Post
    From looking at the pic, I swear I think you have the wrong mounts. The scope rings will not be centered even if those tightened up.
    Like I said....it's going to be difficult to deal with with what's available on the market for dovetail rings/mounts. If you want a serious and solid scope mount for that....look into a gunsmith tapping into your receiver and mounting a solid base like that of the 10/22 Weaver mount. If you're keeping it and passing it on, it will be well worth the price. A solid mount gets you what you're after plain and simple. A day at the range is one thing.....but a day in the woods with the youngster deserves more!

Quote Originally Posted by Ram Rod View Post
    Like I said....it's going to be difficult to deal with with what's available on the market for dovetail rings/mounts. If you want a serious and solid scope mount for that....look into a gunsmith tapping into your receiver and mounting a solid base like that of the 10/22 Weaver mount. If you're keeping it and passing it on, it will be well worth the price. A solid mount gets you what you're after plain and simple. A day at the range is one thing.....but a day in the woods with the youngster deserves more!
    I could not agree more RamRod. But if I am not mistaken, they make rings that should properly tighten down to those dove tails. I really think he has the one meant for the weave base. But like you said, to teach a child the proper fundementals of marksmenship, especially with a scope, proper stockwell is imperative. A trip to a gunsmith is called for here.

They do....or they did. May be a 10mm or something now. Last I knew, Tasco offered a good set-up including rings with their tiny 4x32 scope. Mainly for air rifles. I'm sure there are offerings from some of the best known vendors such as Numrich or Midway. Although the dovetail cuts in the receiver are rather shallow, there really is no industry standard for the exact measurements. Not only that, but most of those dovetail cuts are not long enough, and taper off at each end where a normal scope ring spacing isn't feasible. Typical dove tail mounts go 3/8". Weaver mounts will go 7/8". A good base is called for here, forget the dovetail receiver IMO. Nothing but a PITA to deal with really.

VIP Member
    Leupold Rifleman split rings should work. They are not expensive. You should be able to find them about anywhere, including Walmart.

Notice the difference of the dovetail clamp angle. This will allow more grip surface. Both of these are Rifleman Rings. There are other kits too. Thease two types should work best for your rifle.

If you understand, things are just as they are... If you do not understand, things are just as they are....
    - Zen Saying

Great advice thanks guys. Those rifleman rings look like they would cause the same problems. I think I may bring it to a gunsmith and see what he can do for a solid mount like you said.

Here is a pic of the same rifle with the same scope mounted on it, I have no idea how he did it but it looks like he used the same dovetail mounts that came with mine?

Senior Moderator
    It looks to me that you have a 1/2" mount for a 3/8" dovetail.
    There is only an 1/8" difference and you have at least that.
    The further a society drifts from the truth, the more it will hate those that speak it...- George Orwell

AR. CHL Instr. 07/02 FFL
    Like custom guns and stuff? Check this out...
    http://bobbailey1959.wordpress.com/

[QUOTE=Adkjoe;1780464]Great advice thanks guys. Those rifleman rings look like they would cause the same problems. I think I may bring it to a gunsmith and see what he can do for a solid mount like you said.

Here is a pic of the same rifle with the same scope mounted on it, I have no idea how he did it but it looks like he used the same dovetail mounts that came with mine?

That set-up may have worked well. Not sure what they did either...sometimes gunsmiths keep their own secrets. Thing is, the dovetail mounting with currently available ring mounts may seem to tighten up and bite just fine when it's mounted (and I might add.....a real bugger to sight in). But given any small impact may just jar the ring mounts loose and right off the top of the rifle. Again....I've been there. Another thing.......for a youth, the length of pull and eye relief of the scope may not work out in this scenario and the scope may need to be moved back more for proper focus to be obtained. In that picture (and like I had stated before) the mounts do not give enough play for that to happen. Matter of fact....according to the picture, I'd say the rings are too close to the adjustment turrets. Your elevation and windage adjustments will be compromised especially if the scope is not properly aligned in the rings (in other words, your scope may be bent at this point and you won't be able to rely in the 1/4" or 1/8" clicks of the scope click for click). This is where many probably make the mistake of mounting a scope themselves and sighting it in without thoughts of just how much adjustment is left available. With a 22lr, many of them are willing to hunt around and adjust for good hits simply due to the less costly ammo available. Bolt action 22lr can be just as accurate as any bolt action center fire to the extent of the cartridge. Most of the prominent silhouette shooters I've been around use a bolt action single shot or magazine fed. Some scoped, and some open sights. Steel silhouettes don't move but squirrels do. If you were within 50 miles of me, we'd work it out and fix it up within a week and make it repeatable each and every time. Plinking is one thing...squirrel hunting is another. There's more disappointment when you miss game that's in your sights than missing the 'X' ring by 2" at 50yds on paper. Believe me.

I still say they are the wrong rings.

Links