Steel Ammo out of ARs

This is a discussion on Steel Ammo out of ARs within the Defensive Rifles & Shotgun Discussion forums, part of the Related Topics category; Originally Posted by 120mm You're assuming the extractor is a quality part. Chances are the extractor in a Bushmaster,RRA, Stag, Armalite, DPMS or other lower ...

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Steel Ammo out of ARs

Quote Originally Posted by 120mm View Post
    You're assuming the extractor is a quality part. Chances are the extractor in a Bushmaster,RRA, Stag, Armalite, DPMS or other lower quality AR is made out of less than quality material.
    what are you baseing this on? I have ARs made by Colt and Bushmaster, and have not seen a nickels worth of difference in them. Afraid of a worn out extractor? Buy a spare for a few bucks, easy to replace and cheap. Afraid of a stuck case? Put weapon on safe if possible, and while pulling on charging handle slam but of rifle on the ground, the enertia will bring the bolt back and release the stuck round.

All of this is much worry over nothing. They are meant to be battle rifles, and any problems can be corrected in a field expediant manner. Buy it, shoot what you can afford and stop worrying. Like I said, buy a spare extractor, they are only a few dollars. Hell, buy a whole new complete bolt carrier group for about $125, and get to shootin!

2. Remove Ads

Put weapon on safe if possible, and while pulling on charging handle slam but of rifle on the ground, the enertia will bring the bolt back and release the stuck round.
    a/k/a/ the "mortar" technique. Just one more reason to take some training and learn how to work the guns!
    Smitty
    NRA Endowment Member

Quote Originally Posted by gasmitty View Post
    a/k/a/ the "mortar" technique. Just one more reason to take some training and learn how to work the guns!
    And there ya go! That says it all.

Senior Member Array Matthew Temkin's Avatar
    Actually I learned the so called "mortar" technique from a Iraq ranger combat vet when I was shooting with some West Point instructors back in 2003.
    Worked fine to clear my rifle's malfunction and came from a very credible source.

Quote Originally Posted by glockman10mm View Post
    what are you baseing this on? I have ARs made by Colt and Bushmaster, and have not seen a nickels worth of difference in them.
    You either don't know what to look for, or haven't shot it hard enough to experience the "joys" of Bushmaster unstaked gas key, have an FSB come loose due to straight pins, sheared bolt lugs from the marshmallow metal material they put in "some" of their bolts or stuck casing from the too -tight chambers. I've seen a 1/3d failure rate in Bushmaster carbines in an arms room of 150 of them. And achingly, SOME Bushmasters come put together right, made from better materials than others. Its a freaking lottery, which is due to their lack of QA/QC.

Afraid of a worn out extractor? Buy a spare for a few bucks, easy to replace and cheap.
    I don't think you should have to "fix" a brand new gun, but Bushmaster thinks so. While you're at it, you might as well spend $140 to put a quality BCG in it, bringing the price of your "bargain" Bushmaster up to the level of a real gun.

Afraid of a stuck case? Put weapon on safe if possible, and while pulling on charging handle slam but of rifle on the ground, the enertia will bring the bolt back and release the stuck round.
    I'm sure the bad guy will comply by taking a time out so you can do this. Let me know how that works for you.

All of this is much worry over nothing. They are meant to be battle rifles, and any problems can be corrected in a field expediant manner. Buy it, shoot what you can afford and stop worrying. Like I said, buy a spare extractor, they are only a few dollars. Hell, buy a whole new complete bolt carrier group for about $125, and get to shootin!
    Actually, the cheapest COMPETENT BCG should run you about $140. And the new FSB with taper pins. And a new barrel made from the right kind of steel with a properly cut chamber. And the right kind of buffer tube and assembly. Do you see where I'm going, here?

It is much cheaper to buy a Spike's or a BCM to begin with, and you'll have a real gun that works. Whether or not you "need it", the prices of good guns are not that much more than crappy ones.

And it's not that I have a hard-on for Bushmaster. The day they decide to make good guns is the day I will rejoice. They know how, but right now they are too busy making and selling crap to people who don't know any better.

Your probably right. With my background and experience, I probably don't know what I'm looking for.

Opinions are great. That's what we do here. But in the spirit of the OPs question, he was not hinting around or saying he was going to engage in battlefield situations. He wanted to know about shooting steel cases.

What the he'll is wrong with shooting for fun these days? Maybe he just wants something for fun.

As far as battlefield quality goes, Bushmaster has supplied parts for Colts made for military contracts to meet their contract obligations.

So, choose what you want, I'll take any model by any maker, because if it comes to a situation where I need it in that capacity , I know that I am the primary weapon.

100% in my AR and AK

When I bought my Stag I broke it in with Wolf. Yes I had a few stuck in the chamber but they came out using the "mortar" method of clearing a chamber. I have since put a "H" buffer and extractor upgrade in to it and no more troubles. This rifle shoots anything I put into it. Some of us shoot for the fun of it and don't have the money to shoot brass cased ammo all the time. If I relyed on brass cased ammo all the time I wouldn't be able to shoot as much as I do. Yes I reload but with work and other obligations I don't have the time to reload enough ammo to shoot my rifle the way it should be shot.

Distinguished Member Array pirate's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Jason Storm View Post
    Never used Wolf ammo but I would avoid it at all costs since it is said they can wear out the extractors very quickly.
    Simply not true.......total bunk, the steel extractors in even the low end hobbie guns is far stronger than the steel cases. I have around 6-8K rounds of steel cased ammo through my Ar's to prove this point and Zero extractor issues.

Why even bother to pass along hear say info "it is said" if you have no personal direct experience with this issue. By your on admission you have never shot steel cased ammo in your rifle so you really do not know anything about it, you are just passing along something you read somewhere likely by someone else who has no clue. This helps no one here and does eveyone on this forum a disservice.
    When I leave the home port:
    S&W 642 Airweight, Ruger SP 101, Colt Detective Spec., CZ RAMI, Kahr PM9, Kahr CW40, S&W Model 10-7, Glock 30, 19, and 26, Browning Hi Power, CZ82, Colt Commander, Dan Wesson PM7, Ruger LCP

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Links