How much would you pay for a Winchester 94-30?

This is a discussion on How much would you pay for a Winchester 94-30? within the Defensive Rifles & Shotgun Discussion forums, part of the Related Topics category; My brother in law is selling his to raise money for other things he needs (who wants to pay rent??) He's really not into shooting ...

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: How much would you pay for a Winchester 94-30?

Distinguished Member Array pcon's Avatar

My brother in law is selling his to raise money for other things he needs (who wants to pay rent??) He's really not into shooting that much, maybe has shot it a handful of times. I told him last year if he ever wanted to sell it I'd be interested. I've always wanted a 30.30

So...he has no idea what a fair price is. Last time I saw the rifle, I'd say it was 90+%. I've seen values online from "a gun blue book" saying $250 max for a used Winchester 94-30. I've also seen people saying it's worth at least $400.

When I asked, he didn't know the SN# of the rifle, I know that's a huge factor. Let's assume it's not a collector's item for now until he gets me the SN#.

So, what's a fair price to offer him?
    Μολὼν λαβέ

memento mori

If it's a pre 64, they are going over $500. If it's not depending on wood features and condition, $275. Even on an emaculante pre 64 I would not go over $400, even though they have been sold over $600. Ultimatley, it is you that determines how valuble it is too YOU.

Yeah, thanks glockman, that's about what I figured.
    Μολὼν λαβέ

memento mori

No problem. Good luck.

OD*
    Quote Originally Posted by pcon View Post
    My brother in law is selling his to raise money for other things he needs (who wants to pay rent??) He's really not into shooting that much, maybe has shot it a handful of times. I told him last year if he ever wanted to sell it I'd be interested. I've always wanted a 30.30

So...he has no idea what a fair price is. Last time I saw the rifle, I'd say it was 90+%. I've seen values online from "a gun blue book" saying $250 max for a used Winchester 94-30. I've also seen people saying it's worth at least $400.

When I asked, he didn't know the SN# of the rifle, I know that's a huge factor. Let's assume it's not a collector's item for now until he gets me the SN#.

So, what's a fair price to offer him?
    This will give you an idea what people are asking; http://www.gunsamerica.com/Search/Ca...r/Model-94.htm

More info would help, not all pre-64s are the same;

1894s- Oct. 20, 1894 to approximately serial #950,000, late 1924 when Winchester
    removed the 1 & 8 from the stamping die, they then officially became the Model '94.

Pre-wars-1924 to 1943, approximately serial #950,000 to #1,350,000.

Flatbands-1943 to 1949, just after serial #1,317,450 to approximately #1,550,000

Pre-64s- 1949 to 1964, just after serial #1,550,000 to serial #2,600,011, reportedly the last pre-64 Model 94.
    "The pistol, learn it well, carry it always ..." ~ Jeff Cooper

"Terrorists: They hated you yesterday, they hate you today, and they will hate you tomorrow. End the cycle of hatred, donít give them a tomorrow."

If you look at what M94s go for on the on-line auctions or at gun shows, the prices seem out of line with what the guns are actually worth. This artificial inflation started when Winchester (USRA) shut down their New Haven, CT plant and the M94 line was ended. All of a sudden, every half-rusted M94 with a cracked stock became a "collectors item" and a $250 gun had a $500 price tag on it. Away from the auctions and shows, the prices get to be reasonable.

The last 10-15 years of M94 production had the "angle eject" feature which helped if you mounted a scope. Mid-70's to about 1990 the M94s seemed to get cheapened and the "tell-tale" was that the lever rattled, even in the closed position, if you shook the gun side-to-side. New management at USRA listened to the shooters and got that cleared up, but unfortunately USRA was stuck between a rock and a hard place and even with some creative people on board, they had to close their doors.
    Smitty
    NRA Endowment Member
    NROI Chief Range Officer

OD*
    Funny how time slips away from us, the "angle eject" feature is 27 years old (1983), and the rebounding hammer has been around for 29 (1981).

"Terrorists: They hated you yesterday, they hate you today, and they will hate you tomorrow. End the cycle of hatred, donít give them a tomorrow."

I'd say between $200 and $300; whatever you're comfortable paying. That is, unless it's a collector's item or something special.

I paid $200 for mine, ten years ago NIB.
    Trust in God and keep your powder dry

"A heavily armed citizenry is not about overthrowing the government; it is about preventing the government from overthrowing liberty. A people stripped of their right of self defense is defenseless against their own government." -source

VIP Member
    More info would help.
    Serial number (1st few digits are enough), to help date it.
    183xxx- prior to 1900
    553xxx- prior to 1910
    880xxx- prior to 1920
    1081xxx- prior to 1930
    1142xxx- prior to 1940
    1724xxx- prior to 1950
    2469xxx- prior to 1960
    2797xxx- prior to 1964
    3381xxx- prior to 1970
    4892xxx- prior to 1980
    (add about 100,000 for each year after that)

Pictures would also help to see condition.

Here is a couple of things to look for:
    -Is it a 'flat band'? (barrel band, is it rounded or flat?)
    -Angle eject?
    -How is caliber written (.30WCF or 30-30)?
    -Is the butt plate plastic or metal?
    -Is the butt straight or curved?

Keep in mind that Winchester is GONE, so that will add to the value of all of them.

Average price is $400. In poor condition a little less....if it is a rarer one, higher.

I own a bunch of 94s. Some I purchased new, some used. Price for as little as $75, for a beater, to as much as a $700 for an early model in mint condition.

(love the 94...One of John Browning's BEST designs!)
    Quemadmodum gladius neminem occidit, occidentis telum est.-Seneca

"If you carry a gun, people will call you paranoid. If I have a gun, what do I have to be paranoid about?" -Clint Smith

"An unarmed man can only flee from evil, and evil is not overcome by fleeing from it." -Jeff Cooper

I paid $278 for a new one at walmart in 2005 - glad I got it coz they quit making them, but I liked the older models better.
    I shot my first deer with my (at the time) boyfriend's grandpa's Win 94 and that's when I fell in love with the gun. They wouldn't sell it to me because it's a family gun so I had to buy a new one for myself.
    I won't be wronged, I won't be insulted, I won't be laid a hand on. I don't do these things to other people and I expect the same from them. -- John Wayne as John B. Books in "The Shootist"

Sold one awhile back for $1300 and that was only because it was sold to a friend. That was about $400 below it's value. It was made in 1927 and was an octagon barrel takedown in 25-35 in pretty decent shape. So saying a 94 in 30-30 doesn't tell the whole story. May be worth several hundred down to a couple hundred, just depends.
    "Those who would give up essential liberties for a little temporary safety deserve neither liberty or safety" -Benjamin Franklin-

[QUOTE=goawayfarm;1782023]More info would help.
    Serial number (1st few digits are enough), to help date it.

1142xxx- prior to 1940
    1724xxx- prior to 1950

-How is caliber written (.30WCF or 30-30)?
    -Is the butt plate plastic or metal?
    -Is the butt straight or curved?

Ok, here are some answers. Its SN is 1504xxx, so it seems to be around the 1940's or so. The caliber is written WCF. I believe the butt plate is metal and straight. I'm just going off memory here. He had it appraised at $450 but said he'd sell it to me at $400. Sounds like an alright deal, right?
    Μολὼν λαβέ

memento mori

OD*
    Serial # puts it at 1949, according to "The Winchester Book" by George Madis. In today's market, if it's in good shape, $400 is a steal.

Distinguished Member Array Dragman's Avatar
    $400 is a great price to pay for a pre-64 94
    To crush your enemies, to see them driven before you, and to hear the lamentations of their women

that's kind of what I was thinking too. I'm excited to get it and try it out!
    Μολὼν λαβέ

memento mori

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Sponsored Links