First AR

This is a discussion on First AR within the Defensive Rifles & Shotgun Discussion forums, part of the Related Topics category; I have a BUG, an EDC, and my next purchase now that I have been bitten by the gun bug is going to be an ...

Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

Thread: First AR

First AR

I have a BUG, an EDC, and my next purchase now that I have been bitten by the gun bug is going to be an AR. But I am not really sure where to start.

I want to spend around 1k and I have found a couple options.

There is a bushmaster AR15 MOE for out the door at the local gun shop
    They have the SW AR15 MOE for about $100 More

Does anyone have some thoughts about what a good starting point for me would be?

I want to buy a premade platform that I can eventually add probably an ACOG and a bipod too. I don't know enough about AR's to go around shopping for each individual part and then assembling it so I have to buy something premade, and my budget maxes out at about $1200 out the door. I have had good luck with advice from many of you on these forums, so I am hoping I get some more now.

2. Remove Ads

Spikes tactical gives you a WHOLE lotta bang for your buck and their product is flawless. Stag arms also is an excellent choice. Both will get you into a reliable AR at a good price.

Don't be afraid to buy a complete lower and a complete upper. It's just a matter of pushing in two pins and you have a complete gun. Sometimes a great deal can be had by purchasing the two separate.

Ive been looking at STAG arms, it seems like a good place to start and that they are well under the $1000 mark, but I am not sure about how reliable they would be.

I was also wondering if anyone had heard of these guys

http://www.olyarms.com/index.php?pag...hk=1&Itemid=37

Its chambered in 7.62. Bigger holes are sometimes better. More expensive less abundant round though.

This is where I found my answers:
    http://www.m4carbine.net/showthread.php?t=60901
    http://spreadsheets.google.com/pub?k...=5&output=html
    http://m4carbine.net/showthread.php?t=6642

I hope this helps mate. I'm in the same boat I chose a BCM mod 2...just gettin the $$ together now

VIP Member
    First you have to decide what you want to use the rifle for, self defense, range, both and so on. The next step is choosing either a mil spec or commercial model. Mil spec is exactly that to military standards.
    Everything is correctly staked and will last you a long, long time. Commercial guns will also last you a long, long time but each manufacturer may add their own little changes to the weapons system.

Personally I would avoid the AR chambered for the AK round. If it comes down to it you want something that everyone will have parts for including mags stick with the 5.56. Speaking of try and make sure the rifle is chambered in 5.56 and not just .223 there is a difference. The military 5.56 is loaded to higher pressures and could damage a rifle chambered in .223.

Any of the brands are good. Also look at CMMG they make both a standard AR and a gas gun both under 1K. If you need to save an extra month and make sure you get a good base rifle that fits your needs and then get into a class to learn how to fight with it not just shoot it. Colt rifles can sometimes be found for right around you budgeted price and you can't go wrong with them.

Lastly as was mentioned don't forget to look at "custom" built guns meaning buying a lower and upper and putting it together. THOR Defense/Knesek guns is building mine now and you get a carbine class included with the purchase of a rifle. Their are tons of places that offer complete lowers and uppers just decide what you want it for and go from there.

This is just my opinion I am sure there will be others just take your time and shop around.
    "A first rate man with a third rate gun is far better than the other way around". The gun is a tool, you are the craftsman that makes it work. There are those who say "if I had to do it, I could" yet they never go out and train to do it. Don't let stupid be your mindset. Harryball 2013

Quote Originally Posted by Lanner View Post
    Ive been looking at STAG arms, it seems like a good place to start and that they are well under the $1000 mark, but I am not sure about how reliable they would be.

I was also wondering if anyone had heard of these guys

http://www.olyarms.com/index.php?pag...hk=1&Itemid=37

Its chambered in 7.62. Bigger holes are sometimes better. More expensive less abundant round though.
    Stag is fully mil spec as is Spikes. Either will be very reliable. I've seen both good and bad from Olympic Arms but I have first hand experience with the other two and their customer service is unbeatable. Stick with the .223/5.56 to start with and then later if you want something different then search around there are dozens of different chamber sizes for the AR platform.

Stag is a sweet AR, and its built in the USA! Right here in New Britain.

Stag Arms ARs are most definitely NOT mil-spec. At a glance I see they use 4140 steel 1/9 twist barrels. Their chambers may be off (generally too small) and the do not have the QA/QC that quality builders have. Most hobby builders use substandard bolt steel, do not pin the FSBs correctly and marginally or do not stake gas keys.

You can get a BCM, Daniel Defense, or Spike's for between $800 to $1000. CDNN has a smoking deal on S&W AR15s that are around $650 with rebate. I also am told that there are some Colt's out there for $800 or so, but you'd need to do some research to find them.

The Bushmaster for a $1000 is a complete ripoff.

Here's a tip. Go to the M4Carbine link further up this thread, and read as much as you can. You can buy an extremely high quality AR for the exact same or less price than some real junk out there.

So do I go with the very basic Stag setup?
    This is going to be 100% range gun, but of course it's also going to be the SHTF gun if it ever does. So if I am gonna drop a grand on something I really would like it to last a long time. Like with proper care the rest of my life.
    I agree and have decided against 7.62. There really is no reason for it, it's more expensive at the range, and if SHTF harder to obtain.

Ive been doing a bit of research trying to figure out what sort of range a good AR has. Seems like people say out to about 500 meters?
    I know the Stag would be a starter AR, but it seems like a lot of starter guns also turn out to be keepers.

Thanks for the advice, keep it coming. I am going to call around to some LGS's tomorrow and get some prices.

I will check out the CDNN information as well. That sounds like a good deal.

Quote Originally Posted by 120mm View Post
    Stag Arms ARs are most definitely NOT mil-spec. At a glance I see they use 4140 steel 1/9 twist barrels. Their chambers may be off (generally too small) and the do not have the QA/QC that quality builders have. Most hobby builders use substandard bolt steel, do not pin the FSBs correctly and marginally or do not stake gas keys.

You can get a BCM, Daniel Defense, or Spike's for between $800 to $1000. CDNN has a smoking deal on S&W AR15s that are around $650 with rebate. I also am told that there are some Colt's out there for $800 or so, but you'd need to do some research to find them.

The Bushmaster for a $1000 is a complete ripoff.

Here's a tip. Go to the M4Carbine link further up this thread, and read as much as you can. You can buy an extremely high quality AR for the exact same or less price than some real junk out there.
    Just FYI, the rebate ended last week (10/4) -if you're referring the the S&W rebate, that is.
    There are no dangerous weapons; there are only dangerous men.--RAH

...man fights with his mind; the weapons are incidental.--Jeff Cooper

There is a reason they try and make small bullets act like big bullets--Glockmann10mm

Check out www.m4carbine.net for your M4gery needs. I recommend you read the stickies and the information posts....great information there.
    Magazine <> clip - know the difference

martyr is a fancy name for crappy fighter
    You have never lived until you have almost died. For those that have fought for it, life has a special flavor the protected will never know

DPMS makes a nice line also. I have the Panther in a flat top.
    "Confidence is food for the wise man but liquor for the fool"

Quote Originally Posted by hk45c View Post
    This is where I found my answers:
    http://www.m4carbine.net/showthread.php?t=60901
    http://m4carbine.net/showthread.php?t=6642

I hope this helps mate. I'm in the same boat I chose a BCM mod 2...just gettin the $$ together now
    ^^^^ What he said...
    "I pledge allegiance to the Flag of the United States of America, and to the Republic for which it stands, one Nation indivisible, with liberty and justice for all."
    You are not paranoid if They are actually out to get you, however, They probably are not and you probably are.

Quote Originally Posted by Lanner View Post
    So do I go with the very basic Stag setup?
    This is going to be 100% range gun, but of course it's also going to be the SHTF gun if it ever does. So if I am gonna drop a grand on something I really would like it to last a long time. Like with proper care the rest of my life.
    I agree and have decided against 7.62. There really is no reason for it, it's more expensive at the range, and if SHTF harder to obtain.

Ive been doing a bit of research trying to figure out what sort of range a good AR has. Seems like people say out to about 500 meters?
    I know the Stag would be a starter AR, but it seems like a lot of starter guns also turn out to be keepers.

Thanks for the advice, keep it coming. I am going to call around to some LGS's tomorrow and get some prices.
    Colt, BCM, or Daniel's. LOOK at the spreadsheet in the other posting and you will see the differences.

"I pledge allegiance to the Flag of the United States of America, and to the Republic for which it stands, one Nation indivisible, with liberty and justice for all."
    You are not paranoid if They are actually out to get you, however, They probably are not and you probably are.

Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

Links