CMMG

CMMG

This is a discussion on CMMG within the Defensive Rifles & Shotgun Discussion forums, part of the Related Topics category; Once again, I find nothing in the forum to answer a question I have...and I am confident that someone will provide a link to a ...

Thread: CMMG

CMMG

Once again, I find nothing in the forum to answer a question I have...and I am confident that someone will provide a link to a whole thread discussing it in detail that I somehow missed....but here goes anyway.

Has anyone known anyone who got one of the CMMG bargain bin M16s? I know one person who got one a year or two ago and loves it...but I have to say the price ($599 for a 16" WASP with M4 upper & 1/9 twist) makes me worry.

Any personal experience, friends with one or war stories?

$600 for a ready to go M16 just seems too good.
    Gun Control: The theory that a woman found dead in an alley, raped and strangled with her panty hose, is somehow morally superior to a woman explaining to police how her attacker got that fatal bullet wound.

-- L. Neil Smith

JT
    You can find a lot of discussion of them at ar15.com. Most of the feedback has been good.
    Blessed be the Lord my rock who trains my hands for war and my fingers for battle. Psalm 144:1

Si vis pacem, para bellum

I can't say I got a "bargain" gun from CMMG; my mid-length ran me about $900 shortly after Bambi's inauguration. Courtesy of their delicatessen-type menu, I got all the right pieces - MPI-tested bolt + barrel, M4 feed ramps, etc. I only have about 500 rounds thru it so far, but it's a solid gun so far with no problems. I'll be more confident when I go over the 1000 or 1500 round mark, but so far so good. If you're smart about what you order, I would have no hesitation about buying another CMMG and know it's a better gun than an Oly, DPMS or Bushamster.
    Smitty
    NRA Endowment Member

The M16 is a select fire weapon,the AR15 is semi auto,I haven't heard any bad stuff about the bargain bin stuff,and if you buy an AR15 lower and rifle kit from delton or model 1 sales you will end up with at least $650.00 in it
    "Outside of the killings, Washington has one of the lowest crime rates in the country,"
    --Mayor Marion Barry, Washington , DC .

VIP Member
    Yes have known several that purchased them and have had great results.

CMMG is a great company to deal with.
    "A first rate man with a third rate gun is far better than the other way around". The gun is a tool, you are the craftsman that makes it work. There are those who say "if I had to do it, I could" yet they never go out and train to do it. Don't let stupid be your mindset. Harryball 2013

Frankly, at $600, I don't think you can go too far wrong, for a fully assembled AR15. Especially for a plinker-grade AR.

Quote Originally Posted by 120mm View Post
    Frankly, at $600, I don't think you can go too far wrong, for a fully assembled AR15. Especially for a plinker-grade AR.
    That's kinda what I finally decided this morning...thanks.

If anyone else is interested, here is a link to the "bargain bin"... http://cmmginc.secure-mall.com/shop/index.php?cat=161&
    Gun Control: The theory that a woman found dead in an alley, raped and strangled with her panty hose, is somehow morally superior to a woman explaining to police how her attacker got that fatal bullet wound.

-- L. Neil Smith

I would go for the CMMG @ $650... you get a chrome-lined 1:7 barrel, vs. the take-whatcha-get with 1:9 twist for $599.95. I'd rather see you wind up with a CMMG rather than a DPMS.
    Smitty
    NRA Endowment Member

Quote Originally Posted by gasmitty View Post
    I would go for the CMMG @ $650... you get a chrome-lined 1:7 barrel, vs. the take-whatcha-get with 1:9 twist for $599.95. I'd rather see you wind up with a CMMG rather than a DPMS.
    Actually, I failed to mention I decided to spring the extra $50 for the chrome lined 1/7...

-- L. Neil Smith

Had one, worked decent, until the barrel extension came loose, chewing up the gas key and tube. Easy enough to fix, but you might check it over.

JT
    Quote Originally Posted by PaxMentis View Post
    Actually, I failed to mention I decided to spring the extra $50 for the chrome lined 1/7...
    Did you get the Tactical Bacon to go with it?
    Blessed be the Lord my rock who trains my hands for war and my fingers for battle. Psalm 144:1

Si vis pacem, para bellum

Quote Originally Posted by sammage View Post
    Had one, worked decent, until the barrel extension came loose, chewing up the gas key and tube. Easy enough to fix, but you might check it over.
    This is the deal. As long as you don't pay more than $600 or so, and view it as a gun "kit" that may or may not be up to spec, cheap ARs are good to go for hobby use and to learn on. Any more than that and paying for "upgrades" rapidly gets you into Spike's and BCM territory, price wise, and then you are better off having bought one of them to begin with.

Quote Originally Posted by JT View Post
    Did you get the Tactical Bacon to go with it?
    Nope...but I was tempted to get some for my son...

Hilarious idea. It made me chuckle.

-- L. Neil Smith

Links