Remington 700 Police .308 (My Dream Come True)

Remington 700 Police .308 (My Dream Come True)

This is a discussion on Remington 700 Police .308 (My Dream Come True) within the Defensive Rifles & Shotgun Discussion forums, part of the Related Topics category; Dreams really do come true! With the convergence of circumstances, I have finally been able to purchase a Remington 700P (Police) in .308 Win, one ...

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thumbs up Remington 700 Police .308 (My Dream Come True)

Dreams really do come true!

With the convergence of circumstances, I have finally been able to purchase a Remington 700P (Police) in .308 Win, one of my dream guns. Those converged forces being a decent bonus check, a local dealer's sale and a loving wife's approval. I have wanted a 700P since it was called the 700PSS (Police Sharp Shooter). This is the version of the Remington 700 that would turn me into a covetous sinner, in every movie or TV show that showed a LEO or military sharpshooter taking aim at a foe.

Why is the Remington 700 Police more of a dream rifle than other 700's or other brands? The Remington 700P adds features to the base 700 that should cost MUCH more than it does, but Remington has kept the cost down to make it affordable to LE agencies.

Features like:
    • Barrel: A Heavy parkerized 26" bull-barrel with a 1 in 12 twist
    • Stock: A H-S Precision stock reinforced with Du Pont Kevlar and fiberglass
    • Bedding: The stock is laid up around an aircraft-grade aluminum bedding block that runs up the entire length of the receiver
    • Trigger: Remington's best 40-X trigger system (Not all 700P's or PSS's come with this trigger system)

Don't ask what glass I'm using... OK! Fine! I'm using a Center Point 4x16x40 until I can afford a Kahles Helia CL scope... More dreams.

I'll post some range results soon.

Sometimes, life really is but a dream...
    "Let me guess... This isn't about the alcohol or tobacco."

Should be a very functional piece. I am a Remington fan in bolt guns. I will be anxious to see how it shoots for you. Will you load for it or shoot factory fodder?
    "I do what I do." Cpl 'coach' Bowden, "Southern Comfort".

Nice piece! Now head down to Storm Mountain Training Center or out to Thunder Ranch and give yourself and that baby some long-range exercise!
    Smitty
    NRA Endowment Member

Thanks for reminding me about selling mine 6 months ago.... :( Congrats on your new baby, I'm sure you will love it!

VIP Member
    Don't knock the Centerpoint I have the same one and have used it for awhile now to test accuracy on different rifles from .22 to 7.62 and it has not missed a beat yet.
    Congratulations.
    "A first rate man with a third rate gun is far better than the other way around". The gun is a tool, you are the craftsman that makes it work. There are those who say "if I had to do it, I could" yet they never go out and train to do it. Don't let stupid be your mindset. Harryball 2013

That is an awesome gun...I am a Winchester Model 70 user with the pre 64 style action. If I had to switch today it would be a 700 or a Browning A-Bolt. That 700 P is an awesome selection.
    Friends don't let friends be MALL NINJAS.

I am just as nice as anyone lets me be and can be just as mean as anyone makes me. - Quoted from Terryger, New member to our forum.

Very nice rifle.
    Semper Fi

GM
    Nice piece. Congrats.
    "The Second Amendment: America's Original Homeland Security"

Congratulations, that's a fine looking rifle. Long may it serve you well.

VIP Member Array automatic slim's Avatar
    I've had one for several years. You're going to love the long range accuracy! If you roll your own, try Sierra's 168 gr. match HPBT. Mine has a Springfield 4X14 range finding scope. Trust me, that gun will hit out to 1000 yards.
    "First gallant South Carolina nobly made the stand."
    Edge of Darkness

176 bucks plus shipping

https://www.budsgunshop.com/catalog/...ducts_id/17383

Excellent scope, excellent price. I have been running one on my .308 with great success out to 800 yards

Thumbs up

The Dream Continues!

I could not be happier with this new 700P. Even though I am still breaking in the barrel, which is a long and arduous process, I was still able to get some accuracy testing in. The group below 3-shot group was at the end of a 20 shot break-in session, and I was shocked at the result.

My break-in process is as follows:

• First 10 shots - Clean the barrel between each shot with copper solvent, Hoppes #9 and then Ammonia free Windex. This takes dozens of patches on each cleaning.
    • Second 20 Shots - Clean the barrel between each 2 shots, with the same procedure as above. This is where I ended my range time today.
    • Third 50 Shots - Clean the barrel between each 5 shots, with the same procedure as above. I will complete this next week, and then the barrel will be broken in.

If I am dreaming... Don't wake me up!
    "Let me guess... This isn't about the alcohol or tobacco."

VIP Member
    S. Florida, north of the Miami mess, south of the Mouse trap
    Only dime-sized groups? Sell it. What a piece of junk!

A Remington is a Remington, and I've never shot one I didn't like. Very nice. Looks like you've picked up a real jewel.
    Retired USAF E-8. Lighten up and enjoy life because:
    Paranoia strikes deep, into your heart it will creep. It starts when you're always afraid... "For What It's Worth" Buffalo Springfield

Congratulations on your new sniper rifle! Remington has been doing it for years. Remington did it for the Marines when I was in.....1982+ (M40A1). Solid and built to specs. Not sure of the current offerings, but my expectations go well over 200yds. The movies and TV are long removed from the real purpose sometimes. I'm sure it will meet and exceed your expectations. I know it makes you feel good, and that's what's important right now. Start reloading for it and get more IMO. .308win is a good cartridge and always will be. The quality of rifles made these days still leaves me with questions.

Dreams do come true....when you put your dream through the enemy's mind. Anything less would be uncivilized.

I can shoot dime sized one shot holes all day long,the problems start when I try to shoot dime sized 2 shot holes
    "Outside of the killings, Washington has one of the lowest crime rates in the country,"
    --Mayor Marion Barry, Washington , DC .

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Links