Conversion of AR15 to as close to M4 as you can get?

This is a discussion on Conversion of AR15 to as close to M4 as you can get? within the Defensive Rifles & Shotgun Discussion forums, part of the Related Topics category; Hey I am curious and cant find a solid answer. If I were to convert my Colt 6920 AR 15 to as close as possible ...

Thread: Conversion of AR15 to as close to M4 as you can get?

Distinguished Member Array tangoseal's Avatar

Conversion of AR15 to as close to M4 as you can get?

Hey I am curious and cant find a solid answer.

If I were to convert my Colt 6920 AR 15 to as close as possible an M4 would that require NFA approval?

We all know the main difference between a M4 and a AR15 is the 14.5" barrel and the selectable fire. Arguable of course, sigh... Im just going by the Army's original designation. No I was not army.

However select fire aside, and not appropriate in this case, would you need federal NFA tax stamp on a 14.5" barrel?

I own a few AR's and 2 of em are Colt 6920s. I wanted to get as close to an M4 as possible for collection reasons. No practical reason other than that.
    "I believe that the right of the citizen to keep and bear arms must not be infringed if liberty in America is to survive." - Ronald Reagan

2. Remove Ads

Ex Member
    Yes. I believe that would be considered a Short Barrel Rifle.

u can get a 14.5" barrel with a pinned FH on it, that would not be NFA

Quote Originally Posted by Ring View Post
    u can get a 14.5" barrel with a pinned FH on it, that would not be NFA
    Really? That just saved a few hundred bucks and keeps you off the "registered list".
    "I believe that the right of the citizen to keep and bear arms must not be infringed if liberty in America is to survive." - Ronald Reagan

Administrator
    Quote Originally Posted by tangoseal View Post
    Really? That just saved a few hundred bucks and keeps you off the "registered list".
    Really.

FWIW, you will probably spend more money converting than you would just buying an M4orgery off the shelf.
    "Just blame Sixto"

Quote Originally Posted by SIXTO View Post
    Really.

FWIW, you will probably spend more money converting than you would just buying an M4orgery off the shelf.
    Why is that? I have a colt, it is about as close to being authentic next to a $450.00 barrel. That would be about it. If I would have to NFA it then $650.00. In the past hours after making this post I am starting to not care much for doing it anymore as it really doesnt seem worth the money to lose accuracy, velocity, and it still not be a true m4 (minus the SelFire).

More I think about it today, im just going to save the cash and put it towards a LWRC REPR SASS.

Why is that? I have a colt, it is about as close to being authentic next to a $450.00 barrel. That would be about it. If I would have to NFA it then $650.00. In the past hours after making this post I am starting to not care much for doing it anymore as it really doesnt seem worth the money to lose accuracy, velocity, and it still not be a true m4 (minus the SelFire).

More I think about it today, im just going to save the cash and put it towards a LWRC REPR SASS.
    As far as I know a Colt 6920 with 14.5 inch barrel is about as M4 as you can get.

VIP Member
    What 120 said. You can't get much closer than that.
    "A first rate man with a third rate gun is far better than the other way around". The gun is a tool, you are the craftsman that makes it work. There are those who say "if I had to do it, I could" yet they never go out and train to do it. Don't let stupid be your mindset. Harryball 2013

I don't get the 1.5" shorter barrel costing 200.00 tax stamp,My 16 inch guns are juust as maneuverable etc
    "Outside of the killings, Washington has one of the lowest crime rates in the country,"
    --Mayor Marion Barry, Washington , DC .

Distinguished Member Array Bob The Great's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by dukalmighty View Post
    I don't get the 1.5" shorter barrel costing 200.00 tax stamp,My 16 inch guns are juust as maneuverable etc
    Nobody said it had to make sense. But any rifle under 16" is considered an SBR and has to have the tax stamp.

To the OP, if you want an almost-M4 looking rifle without the hassle of an SBR, go with the 14.5" barrel + permanently attached flash hider. You won't be able to use a standard A2 birdcage flash hider (too short), but there are "extended" A2 flash hiders for sale specifically for the purpose of bringing 14.5" barrels out to 16.1" while maintaining an A2 appearance to anyone without a ruler handy to actually measure it.

Here's one: http://www.bravocompanyusa.com/BCM-A.../bcm%20a2x.htm

Make sure you have a good gunsmith who is familiar with what the ATF considers "permanently attached".

Another option I just remembered: You could look for a 14.7in barrel and permanently attach a standard A2 hider. This would have the same effect as a 14.5" + extended flash hider.
    "A well-educated electorate, being necessary to the continuance of a free state, the right of the people to keep and read books shall not be infringed."
    Is this hard to understand? Then why does it get unintelligible to some people when 5 little words are changed?

u can buy them pre pinned... just need to look

Distinguished Member Array Rexster's Avatar
    Deleted.

If you want it to really rock, go with a 14.5" with a pinned BattleComp 1.5. Next to the Triple Tap, it's the best thing out there and your gun won't move… It also won't be obnoxious to others on the line or in your stack.

Now, when you say M4 clone, you're talking Government profile barrel, carbine gas system and a standard rail, non free float? It'll be decent, but just a thought…. Why not go with a mid length gas system, a 10" to 12" DD or maybe a URX rail and a pencil profile barrel?

Also, the 14.5" barrel definitely requires an SBR'd lower. Right now I'm running 8", 12" and 16" uppers with a 14.5 in the works. The 14.5 has it's benefits. Slight difference in balance and a HUGE advantage if you run ACOG's with the bullet drop reticle, but keep in mind you need to run the right ammo for it to be accurate. I have the ACOG 4x32 M4, and it's spot on with Lake City 62gr on my buddy's 14.5" upper.

You could go with a Bravo Company 14.5" mid length gas system light profile barrel and upper receiver for $450 then add any rail you'd like. If you change your barrel, I'd strongly suggest a Daniel Defense or BCM (Bravo Company) in the light profile and Cold Hammer Forged (CHF). Then, I'd take that stupid Delta ring off and run a free float. I can go on and on!

If you want a standard M4, I'd seriously go with a BCM 14.5 Gov profile Carbine upper and go from there. Keep the Colt for another project. Again, and I cannot stress this enough, I don't know why anyone would go with a carbine gas system unless they're running a SUB 14.5" barrel. Mid lengths are softer shooting and some say more reliable. I know softer is subjective on 5.56, but your dot will move LESS, regardless of how much recoil you actually feel. The BattleComp or Triple Tap will control that dot even more. Good luck!

http://battlecomp.com/
    Proven combat techniques may not be flashy and may require a bit more physical effort on the part of the shooter. Further, they may not win competition matches, but they will help ensure your survival in a shooting or gunfight on the street. ~Paul Howe

Administrator

Quote Originally Posted by 120mm View Post
    As far as I know a Colt 6920 with 14.5 inch barrel is about as M4 as you can get.
    Quote Originally Posted by tacman605 View Post
    What 120 said. You can't get much closer than that.
    All these are the point that I was trying to make.
    "Just blame Sixto"

Links