New Spike's AR-15 (a little long - PICS!)

This is a discussion on New Spike's AR-15 (a little long - PICS!) within the Defensive Rifles & Shotgun Discussion forums, part of the Related Topics category; After months of research for my first AR-15, I finally decided to go with Spike's Tactical. WOW....I can't say enough good stuff about Spike's. They ...

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: New Spike's AR-15 (a little long - PICS!)

New Spike's AR-15 (a little long - PICS!)

After months of research for my first AR-15, I finally decided to go with Spike's Tactical. WOW....I can't say enough good stuff about Spike's. They really came through on all fronts. The gave me exactly what I wanted below my budget cap. I don't feel like I got a quality rifle....I know I got a quality rifle.

Thanks to many of you who have posted in various threads the huge amount of links to reading resources. Also, many thanks to those who responded to my PM's.

AR-15's are like Jeeps...there's unlimited configurations and aftermarket parts available to suit every need/situation. Be warned...learn about one thing and it leads to the next. I felt the research I did was necessary as one could not possibly know what features one would need as a base line. For example...a chromolly barrel does not necessarily have a chrome lined chamber and bore. Go ahead experts...laugh...but to a noob that's not a common assumption. There are so many more of these little things I came across too, such as twist rate, bolt carrier group features, properly staked gas key, magnetic particle inspection, etc.... I did my best to understand what separates the bargain rifles from others. I even found photos of what a "properly staked gas key" looked like in one of the guides. Then there is the aesthetics....I just like the Flat Dark Earth accessories although some of you feel it should be a "black" rifle.

I ended up paying about $1,250 shipped, my FFL charged me $30

Here's the specs and features of the rifle I got:
    Spike's Tactical M4 flat top upper receiver specifications-
    -CNC Machined from a 7075 T6 MIL-H-6088 Forging.
    -Extended M4 feed ramps (done before plating).
    -Mil-Spec 1913 picatinny rail.
    -MIL-A-8625F Type III Class 2 Hardcoat anodized finish inside and out.
    -Laser engraved T-markings.
    -MIL-L-46010 Dryfilm lube on the interior.
    -Mil-Spec ejection port door assembly with 5.3.1.2 MIL-STD-171 phosphate finish.
    -Mil-Spec forward assist assembly with tool steel pawl and 5.3.1.2 MIL-STD-171 phosphate finish.

Barrel specifications--Barrel steel is Certified MIL-B-11595E Chromoly Vanadium Alloy.
    -Raw barrel steel is Magnetic Particle Inspected prior to machining.
    -Barrels are stress relieved.
    -16" length.
    -Mil-Spec M4 barrel extension with 5.3.1.2 MIL-STD-171 phosphate finish inside and out.
    -1.2.2.2 MIL-STD-171 hard chrome chamber and bore.
    -5.56mm Nato chamber.
    -All chambers are Individually checked for head space twice (once before plating and once after plating).
    -1:7 twist rate.
    -All barrels are Individually High Pressure tested (HPT) and then Individually Magnetic Particle Inspected (MPI).
    -5.3.1.2 MIL-STD-171 phosphate finish on the barrel exterior.
    -Mid-Length Government profile.
    -Mid-Length DI gas system.
    -Threads are concentric to the bore.
    -Forged F-marked A2 front sight base with bayonet lug and 5.3.1.2 MIL-STD-171 phosphate finish.
    -Barrel has 5.3.1.2 MIL-STD-171 phosphate finished under the F-marked A2 front sight base.

Bolt carrier group specifications--Mil-Spec 8620 tool steel M16 bolt carrier w/shrouded firing pin.
    -Mil-Spec tool steel carrier key.
    -Carrier key is attached with Grade 8 hardware and properly staked per the Mil-Spec.
    -Bolts are CNC machined from Carpenter No. 158.
    -All bolts are shot peened per the current Mil-Spec.
    -All bolts are Individually High Pressure tested (HPT) and then Individually Magnetic Particle Inspected (MPI).
    -Tool steel extractor, shot peened, 5.3.1.2 MIL-STD-171 phosphate finish, fitted with a Mil-Spec black extractor spring insert and Mil-Spec Viton o-ring.
    -Mil-Spec firing pin with 1.2.2.2 MIL-STD-171 hard chrome finish.
    -Mil-Spec cam pin with 5.3.1.2 MIL-STD-171 phosphate finish.
    -Mil-Spec firing pin retaining pin with 5.3.1.2 MIL-STD-171 phosphate finish.
    -Mil-Spec barrel nut with 5.3.1.2 MIL-STD-171 phosphate finish.
    -Mil-Spec delta ring with MIL-A-8625F Type III Class 2 Hardcoat anodized finish.
    -Forged Mil-Spec charging handle with MIL-A-8625F Type III Class 2 Hardcoat anodized finish.
    -Mil-Spec 303 stainless steel Mid-Length gas tube.
    -A2 Bird cage flash hider, 1/2x28 thread pitch with 5.3.1.2 MIL-STD-171 phosphate finish.
    -Flash hider is properly timed with a crush washer.

Spike's Tactical lower receiver specifications-
    -CNC Machined from a 7075 T6 MIL-H-6088 Forging.
    -MIL-A-8625F Type III Class 2 Hardcoat anodized finish inside and out.
    -Mil-Spec lower parts kit with rounded hammer.
    -Trigger and hammer engagement surfaces have been jeweled/polished during the manufacturing process.
    -7075 Mil-Spec receiver extension (buffer tube), 1.14" diameter, 6 position, MIL-A-8625F Type III Class 2 Hardcoat anodized finish inside and out with MIL-L-46010 Dryfilm lube inside and out.
    -Mil-Spec castle nut and latch plate with 5.3.1.2 MIL-STD-171 phosphate finish.
    -Castle nut is torqued to 38ft-lb. and held in place by a properly staked latch plate.
    -ST-T2 Tungsten heavy buffer.
    -Mil-Spec 17-4 stainless steel buffer spring.
    -Spike's Tactical Mil-Spec M4 stock with sling loop, hardware has been properly heat treated and 5.3.1.2 MIL-STD-171 phosphate finished.

I added these items to the basic complete mid-length rifle:
    They gave me credit towards nearly all the parts that were swapped from complete rifle package.
    -Spike's Battle Trigger Set (hammer, trigger & disconnector coated in Nickl Boron)
    -Spike's Hard Chrome Bolt Carrier Group (machined from tool steel, hard chromed inside and out)
    -FCG spring upgrade
    -KNS Gen2 Anti Rotation Pins
    -Ergo Grip
    -Magpul CTR Stock in FDE (flat dark earth)
    -Magpul MBUS sights
    -Spike's 12" BAR free float rail system ( I like the look of less barrel sticking out)
    -FDE Ladder Guards
    -36" Rifle Case (discounted to $50 when ordered with rifle)
    -OMG...I think that's it..got a little carried away...but still within budget

For those of you considering ordering from Spike's.... Call Garrett @ x114...exceptionally helpful, knowledgable and I assure you he will give you the best possible price. DO IT!

Spikes2.JPGSpikes1.JPGSpikes4.jpg

2. Remove Ads

Sweet looking rifle! Me=Jealous!

Oh yeah...almost forgot. They sent a TON of swag. A pile of stickers, 3 patches for my case and range bags and a T-shirt. I knew they were sending one small patch...but didn't expect the other 2. Loving the one on the case "Stay back 100 meters....."

Also, stopped off in our local "field" to try it out immediately after I got it. Shot perfectly, no jams, nothin... It is also incridibly accurrate using just the flip-up sights. Can't wait to replenish the toy fund so I can add an EOTECh or Aimpoint.

Just clened it for first time. No problems...came apart and went back together easily. DO watch a video or 2 before breaking it down...it helps.

jon
    Awesome rifle!
    I myself recently stepped into the world of AR's.
    Range report soon?

Verrry sexy. Congrats on the new rifle!

For the ignorant (like me) would you care to expound on the reasoning behind the decisions leading up to some of the "extras"? Particularly -Spike's Battle Trigger Set (hammer, trigger & disconnector coated in Nickl Boron), -Spike's Hard Chrome Bolt Carrier Group (machined from tool steel, hard chromed inside and out), -FCG spring upgrade, and -KNS Gen2 Anti Rotation Pins
    "I pledge allegiance to the Flag of the United States of America, and to the Republic for which it stands, one Nation indivisible, with liberty and justice for all."
    You are not paranoid if They are actually out to get you, however, They probably are not and you probably are.

Quote Originally Posted by chivvalry View Post
    Verrry sexy. Congrats on the new rifle!

For the ignorant (like me) would you care to expound on the reasoning behind the decisions leading up to some of the "extras"? Particularly -Spike's Battle Trigger Set (hammer, trigger & disconnector coated in Nickl Boron), -Spike's Hard Chrome Bolt Carrier Group (machined from tool steel, hard chromed inside and out), -FCG spring upgrade, and -KNS Gen2 Anti Rotation Pins
    Thanks!
    The Battle Trigger upgrade was for a couple reasons. It's just a little smoother trigger. The Nickel Boron coating adds to this. Nickel Boron is very hard and has very little friction...this not only lends itself to a smoother trigger pull but also to the life of the components. The FCG spring upgrade was in line with this thought process as well. These 2 upgrades create a crisp single stage trigger that will break at approx 5-6lbs as opposed to the standard setup which would break at approx 7-8lbs.

The hard chomed BCG upgrade was chosen because it will last a lot longer and is quite a bit easier to clean. The hard chrome is not at all porous and does not allow the gunk to stick to it as easily. I wanted this rifle to last a long time...this seemed like a necessary upgrade to a critical component of the rifle.

The KNS anti rotation pins are trigger and hammer pins with lubrication ports. Special anti-creep retainers prevent all wear on the lower receiver. Again...upgrade to hopfully provide a longer life for the rifle.

Thanks much!
    "I pledge allegiance to the Flag of the United States of America, and to the Republic for which it stands, one Nation indivisible, with liberty and justice for all."
    You are not paranoid if They are actually out to get you, however, They probably are not and you probably are.

Very nice rifle sir.

While I haven't bought a complete rifle from Spike's I have bought parts and a have a used Spike's conversion kit and I can't stop talking about how much I love their products. Hope you enjoy the new rifle.

(P.S.- Go with the EOTECH!)
    TSgt. Lickey

It takes a college degree to break'em;
    and a high school education to fix'em!

Sharp! Enjoy.
    Hiram25
    You can educate ignorance, you can't fix stupid
    Retired DE Trooper, SA XD40 SC, S&W 2" Airweight
    dukalmighty & Pure Kustom Black Ops Pro "Trooper" Holsters, DE CCDW and LEOSA Permits, Vietnam Vet 68-69 Pleiku

Thanks very much for the review. I am going to be getting my rifle from them.

VIP Member
    Wow. 'Just Wow. Congrats on getting exactly what you want. That is awesome.

Distinguished Member Array USPnTX's Avatar
    Great purchase -- looks great! Enjoy!!
    "Do not fear those who disagree with you; fear those that do and are too cowardly to admit it" - Napoleon

Just awesome! Congrats and enjoy. I am $$$ up to buy mine from Spikes also. Thanks for all your info. Enjoy that sweet rifle.
    Blessed be the LORD my strength which teacheth my hands to war, and my fingers to fight. PSALM 144:1

I CLING to my guns and my Bible.

VIP Member
    Great write up and very sweet looking rifle!!!

I'm having a super big case of gun envy right now!

That's beautiful. I love the dark earth parts. i did the same to my AR. I think they look best this way.

I may have to look at Spikes for my next AR. Thanks for the heads up.
    ,=====o00o _
    //___l__,\____\,__
    l_--- \___l---[]lllllll[]
    (o)_)-o- (o)_)--o-)_)

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Links