Adding a sight to shotgun

This is a discussion on Adding a sight to shotgun within the Defensive Rifles & Shotgun Discussion forums, part of the Related Topics category; I have a Remington 870 I use for home defense and tactical matches. It only has a bead sight on it. Would putting a ghost ...

Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

Thread: Adding a sight to shotgun

VIP Member Array ExactlyMyPoint's Avatar

I have a Remington 870 I use for home defense and tactical matches. It only has a bead sight on it.

Would putting a ghost ring sight (or other type) on the shotgun add any tactical advantage or is the bead sight enough?
    Preparing for the Zombie Apocalypse or Rapture....whichever comes first.

Administrator
    I prefer the bead sight to anything on a shotgun, anything more takes away the essence of the shotgun. I'd consider a ghost ring only if shooting longer distances than what is typical of shotgun shooting.
    "Just blame Sixto"

I only have the bead sight on my 870. Don't see any reason to add anything more as mine is just for home defense and having a little fun at the range.
    My blog

WARNING: This post may contain material offensive to those who lack wit, humor, common sense and/or supporting factual or anecdotal evidence. All statements and assertions contained herein may be subject to literary devices not limited to: irony, metaphor, allusion and dripping sarcasm.

Quote Originally Posted by ExactlyMyPoint View Post
    Would putting a ghost ring sight (or other type) on the shotgun add any tactical advantage or is the bead sight enough?
    I'm with Sixto on this one.

When going through short-range drills, I find myself largely ignoring the ghost ring sights and relying on my body and mind's built-in "pointing" ability.

For short-range engagements, "pointing" ability is generally sufficient. A bead sight affords the greatest view of the field without obstruction. I like ghost ring sights. I find them fairly effective. But as suggested, they're really more appropriate for distance shooting (beyond ~30ft or so).

On my own 870P, I have tritium ghost ring rear and tritium bead/post front. From the standpoint of speedy engagement within ~30ft or so, I can see where a bright (ie, fiber) front sight and simply using the gun's channel or the body/mine's "pointing" ability would be faster. Less to go wrong. Less to get damaged in case of hard use. I like having them, as they allow the gun to be dual-use, in the sense of supporting both short-range and long-range engagements with the same gun.

Does it make a whole lot of difference, really? No, as a shotgun really isn't for ranges where a bead sight and "pointing" can't get the job done.

It's subjective. Lots of folks like the different systems. YMMV.
    Your best weapon is your brain. Don't leave home without it.
    Thoughts: Justifiable self defense (A.O.J.).
    Explain: How does disarming victims reduce the number of victims?
    Reason over Force: The Gun is Civilization (Marko Kloos).
    NRA, SAF, GOA, OFF, ACLDN.

You don't need it for home defense, but you might find it helpful if you shoot slugs at longer distances in tactical matches.

As has been said it is subjective and depends on the amount of versatility you wish the weapon to have. I have an MMC ghost ring on my 870 and it makes it very usable out to 100 yds or more. With their steel construction, it would take a sledge hammer to damage them. For closer work, the "wings" on the front sight are very fast for bracketing a target, so I really see only one down side. That is the cost, if distance versatility is not of interest to you.
    "I do what I do." Cpl 'coach' Bowden, "Southern Comfort".

Quote Originally Posted by Guantes View Post
    As has been said it is subjective and depends on the amount of versatility you wish the weapon to have. I have an MMC ghost ring on my 870 and it makes it very usable out to 100 yds or more. With their steel construction, it would take a sledge hammer to damage them. For closer work, the "wings" on the front sight are very fast for bracketing a target, so I really see only one down side. That is the cost, if distance versatility is not of interest to you.

The Ghost ring allows one to use a shotgun at ranges further than traditional beads do.

My home defense shotgun has Ghost Ring Sights and a Surefire Light added for a reason. I'm a fan of accurate use of the shotgun, and think the rifle gets too much "play" in city environments where people would be better served with a shotgun IMHO.

That's not to say that I don't like rifles also, as I do. My home defense battery is handgun, shotgun, and rifle. My preferred weapon of choice for such a role is the shotgun. They can deliver an amazing amount of power to the target in one shot, without all the penetration and distance issues that the rifle presents. Ghost Rings allow one to extend the usability of the blunderbuss, which isn't a bad thing in my opinion.

For home defense and competition usage I'd definitely opt for the Ghost Rings. If just using the smoothbore for home defense, then I might opt for just the bead.

Biker

I have an MMC ghost ring on my 870 ... With their steel construction, it would take a sledge hammer to damage them.
    Durable is good.

On my 870P, the sights are from Iron Sight Gun Works. They're built like a tank. I doubt even a couple swings from a stout sledge hammer would take them out of service. About the only thing I'd change is to have a larger aperture.

Here are a few quick pics of them:

IronSightGunWorks -- front sight.jpg

IronSightGunWorks -- sight picture.jpg

IronSightGunWorks -- rear shelf.jpg

Ex Member
    I have used bead, rifle, and ghost. Bead seems to be the quickest.

Here are a couple pics of my MMC. The apperture is approx .200" and is further enhanced by the skeletonized ring.
    Attached Images
    "I do what I do." Cpl 'coach' Bowden, "Southern Comfort".

VIP Member
    Hiding inside a bottle of Jim Beam Black.
    I don't see where anything more than a bead adds much when shooting buckshot (point and shoot--not exactly precision ammo), nor do I see any disadvantage with the ghost ring setup with same, but I can see definite advantages with slugs. There can easily come a time when you're packing slugs and a wee bit more precision is needed than the bead can offer.
    Retired USAF E-8. Lighten up and enjoy life because:
    Paranoia strikes deep, into your heart it will creep. It starts when you're always afraid... "For What It's Worth" Buffalo Springfield

Here are a couple pics of my MMC. The apperture is approx .200" and is further enhanced by the skeletonized ring.
    I like the size of that aperture. Am uncertain what the Iron Sight Gun Works' size is on my 870P, but I'd guess it's closer to 0.140" or thereabouts. Nowhere near the aperture size of, say, the 0.230" available on many of the GR sights from XS Sights.

I have Scattergun Technologies (now Wilson Combat) Ghost Rings on my duty shotgun. For use with slugs at extended range they're great and I'm glad to have them. For a home defense shotgun and short range use they're not needed. Your bead sight is fine.

It would depend on where your bead sight is printing with slugs. I had a student not too long ago using a brand new 870, and using just the bead, his slug rounds were hitting almost a foot above his point of aim at 40 yards! In that instance, switching to a good set of ghost rings was his best bet. If you're making good hits with the bead sights, no reason to change. I made cloverleafs at that same distance, using just the bead, on my 1100. You do need to use your sights, it's not a point and shoot weapon. If you can't pick up the bead quickly, then switch to the ghost rings.

I personally prefer the ghost ring sights, either the MMC or the Scattergun Tech version. If you get them, make sure you get the front sight soldered on, not just glued. You don't want your front sight heading down range when you really need it.
    Suarez International Staff Instructor

"I am not afraid to go unarmed...I simply detest being unarmed. It is a contemptible and undignified condition in which to find oneself."

NRA Life Member

"Ghost Rings" do offer the user tremendous versatility for a variety of scenarios. I personally have them mounted on my Mossberg 590 Tactical Pump, and a two (2) inch high Zero at 25 yards allows for consistant hits on a nine (9) inch paper plate at 100 yards utilizing 1600 fps Remington slugs from a supported (prone, kneeling supported, sitting supported, squat supported, tree fork, cross-forked) position. I took a memorable "Buck" last gun season utilizing this system......at a distance of 105 yards, no wind to speak of, and from a tree-supported position, the projectile struck and took out both lungs & the heart......the big "Buck" dropped within 10 feet after being struck.....a dream shot of a lifetime, and the first time I never had to track down my wounded prey since I have been hunting the illusive "Whitetail."

Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

Sponsored Links