Looking for Tac sling for my AR

This is a discussion on Looking for Tac sling for my AR within the Defensive Rifles & Shotgun Discussion forums, part of the Related Topics category; I have a Colt 6721 HB. I am looking for a Tac Sling for it...Single point, double point. Whatever. I dont know a lot about ...

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Looking for Tac sling for my AR

I have a Colt 6721 HB. I am looking for a Tac Sling for it...Single point, double point. Whatever. I dont know a lot about them. Give me specific suggestions and maybe why you like them. I am not brand specific but dont mind paying a little for quality.
    Friends don't let friends be MALL NINJAS.

I am just as nice as anyone lets me be and can be just as mean as anyone makes me. - Quoted from Terryger, New member to our forum.

For M-4's I really prefer a single point attached to an attachment point on the end of the receiver, something along the lines of the magpul mount (which I use) and sling: http://store.magpul.com/prod_detail_list/51 In my opinion it is easier to utilize the collapsible stock a lot easier if you don't have a 3-point wrapping around and further screwing up your cheek weld too. A 2 point, like the old school web sling still works okay if you know how to manipulate it, ut the single point seems to be the fastest for me.
    Fortes Fortuna Juvat

Former, USMC 0311, OIF/OEF vet
    NRA Pistol/Rifle/Shotgun/Reloading Instructor, RSO, Ohio CHL Instructor

Quick adjust two points are the most popular slings for a reason. They afford you control of the rifle when you need to use both hands for a task and quickly let you get slack to switch shoulders. Single point slings will let you switch shoulders easily, but the second you have to drop the rifle I hope you're ready for a nice crack in the jewels. Single points don't hold the rifle stable when slung.

Check out the VTAC sling and the Blue Force Gear VCAS.

I've got a magpul ms2 and I am not really crazy about it. Single point works sometimes, but it is really pretty awkward to do anything when you aren't going to have at least one hand on your weapon. I just ordered a rail and a QD sling mount for my MOE handguard, hopefully that will work better than using the MS2 as a 2 point to the normal sling attachment point under the FSB (this location is awkward with a VFG).

VIP Member
    Jwhite. First decide what you are going to use the sling for. If you are simply using it to transport the weapon from the car to range or to carry while hunting get a traditional two point sling.

If you are going to use it for shooting matches or in a tactical scenario then a single point may work best especially if you fire your rifle from both shoulders your sling must allow you the freedom of movement to do this. You have to realize to with a rifle like yours you have to ask yourself where will the weight be hanging from? Your neck, over the shoulders, on one shoulder and so on believe me it can get heavy and uncomfortable very fast without the right sling.
    "A first rate man with a third rate gun is far better than the other way around". The gun is a tool, you are the craftsman that makes it work. There are those who say "if I had to do it, I could" yet they never go out and train to do it. Don't let stupid be your mindset. Harryball 2013

Quote Originally Posted by tacman605 View Post
    Jwhite. First decide what you are going to use the sling for. If you are simply using it to transport the weapon from the car to range or to carry while hunting get a traditional two point sling.

If you are going to use it for shooting matches or in a tactical scenario then a single point may work best especially if you fire your rifle from both shoulders your sling must allow you the freedom of movement to do this. You have to realize to with a rifle like yours you have to ask yourself where will the weight be hanging from? Your neck, over the shoulders, on one shoulder and so on believe me it can get heavy and uncomfortable very fast without the right sling.

+100

Why bolded? Because it's worth mentioning again....these are your keys to a comfortable sling.
    Magazine <> clip - know the difference

martyr is a fancy name for crappy fighter
    You have never lived until you have almost died. For those that have fought for it, life has a special flavor the protected will never know

Another point to add, which deals with how you intend to use the sling system, is some sort of quick detach option is good to have. On my deployments I used a self-made single point out of an old SAW sling attached to my plate carrier. But I rigged it up so it could be taken off in well under a second, but only if I meant for it to be take off. Basically for patrolling I would have my hand on the pistol grip of my M-16a4, as it hung at my side, leaving my left hand free for various other tasks, but if I needed the rifle I could get it on target quickly, and if it was for an engagement type scenario almost always took it off the sling altogether. Two and three point slings tend to snag on stuff, especially if you are wearing gear, and increase the amount of time to get on target, in my experience.

Once again, it really depends on what you are intending to use the sling for, and YMMV.
    Fortes Fortuna Juvat

Former, USMC 0311, OIF/OEF vet
    NRA Pistol/Rifle/Shotgun/Reloading Instructor, RSO, Ohio CHL Instructor

Well I will have it in house for HD mainly, but also intend to use it some for FOP LEO "informal matches and training. I tyipcally dont wear LBE vests but do want quick on and off. So given my needs and your advice I am guessing a single point is the WAY TO GO FOR ME. Can anybody recommend a particular one?

I am just as nice as anyone lets me be and can be just as mean as anyone makes me. - Quoted from Terryger, New member to our forum.

VIP Member
    Mounting the sling to the rifle is strictly regulated by what mounting attachments you have on the rifle itself. I prefer a bungee type sling it gives more flexibility when shooting the rifle and to me are more comfortable.
    "A first rate man with a third rate gun is far better than the other way around". The gun is a tool, you are the craftsman that makes it work. There are those who say "if I had to do it, I could" yet they never go out and train to do it. Don't let stupid be your mindset. Harryball 2013

Troy Single Point Battle Sling attached to a Magpul ASAP.
    Don't believe what you hear and only half of what you see!
    -Tony Soprano

I have to second Texag's recommendation. The single-point attachment is a real asset if you are getting in and out of vehicles and dismounting the gun, but for your informal games and training, I think the VTAC or VCAS are hard to beat.
    Smitty
    NRA Endowment Member
    NROI Chief Range Officer

Quote Originally Posted by jwhite75 View Post
    Well I will have it in house for HD mainly, but also intend to use it some for FOP LEO "informal matches and training. I tyipcally dont wear LBE vests but do want quick on and off. So given my needs and your advice I am guessing a single point is the WAY TO GO FOR ME. Can anybody recommend a particular one?
    I'm a fan of the Magpul MS2 myself, but YMMV....it works for me.
    Magazine <> clip - know the difference

martyr is a fancy name for crappy fighter
    You have never lived until you have almost died. For those that have fought for it, life has a special flavor the protected will never know

Distinguished Member Array Jason Storm's Avatar
    I use Bulldog tactical sling for my RRA LAR-15. Easy to put on when done cleaning and easy to remove when the AR needs to be field stripped. No complicated arts or methods needed.

Quote Originally Posted by SIGguy229 View Post
    I'm a fan of the Magpul MS2 myself, but YMMV....it works for me.
    I looked at that model on Midways website. I think I like it too. I need to research.

Quote Originally Posted by gasmitty View Post
    I have to second Texag's recommendation. The single-point attachment is a real asset if you are getting in and out of vehicles and dismounting the gun, but for your informal games and training, I think the VTAC or VCAS are hard to beat.
    I too concur with Texag's assessment.

Check out the VTAC sling and the Blue Force Gear VCAS.
    I use a VTAC 2 Point myself. I find two point slings to be more comfortable and fairly quick to get in to action if you know how to manipulate the sling.

Biker

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Sponsored Links