Lightweight AR options

This is a discussion on Lightweight AR options within the Defensive Rifles & Shotgun Discussion forums, part of the Related Topics category; Tell me what to buy if I needed a light weight rifle to carry in a shtf scenario. One I have now with a stainless ...

Thread: Lightweight AR options

Lightweight AR options

Tell me what to buy if I needed a light weight rifle to carry in a shtf scenario. One I have now with a stainless steel barrel is just not practical to run with coming in at like 8.5 lbs.

I live in NYS - collapsible stocks can't exist, or have to be pinned. I'm looking for short and light - full rifle or suggestions for upper and lower. Not interested in mix and match components for building unless it's a significant weight savings.

2. Remove Ads

Distinguished Member Array nutz4utwo's Avatar
    All AR's are light weight. (well... all but the super heavy target models)

The biggest weight savings comes from the 5.56 ammo. It is very light. A round of 5.56 including brass and propellent weighs less than a typical 9mm round. I believe it is not uncommon to carry more than 6 magazines. (180 rounds!).

best deal you will probably find is :

http://cmmginc.secure-mall.com/shop/?cat=161

They make plastic lowers, but the weight savings is not much. The upper and a barrel are about the same for all AR's. The lightest legal to own "long gun" are 14 inch barrels with a muzzle break welded on to make is >16 inches. I assume they are legal in NY under some specific configuration, but it would be wise to check.

I don't know much about the "carbon AR's", but they are light:

http://www.proguns.com/bushmaster-r97f.asp
    "a reminder that no law can replace personal responsibility" - Bill Clinton 2010.

A typical M4 weigh in a little over 6lbs. Here is one from Bushmaster, but I am sure other AR-15 mfgs have something similar. http://www.bushmaster.com/catalog_xm...A3X_14M4IZ.asp
    Here is a carbon fiber version
    http://www.bushmaster.com/catalog_ca...Z-C15M4PRE.asp

If you want something smaller, you can go with something like this (if it's legal in NYS).
    http://www.bushmaster.com/catalog_ca...Z9-C15P21S.asp

Some places I can think of to save weight would be the handguards (go for some plastic like the Magpul MOE), and the sights (go with a flat top upper and a small BUIS, I'm not sure how much weight removing the front sight would save). Are you looking to put any optics on it? How about a tactical light? Both of those will be worth their weight in gold in a SHTF situation with proper training. How about a sling?

As said above, 5.56 ammo is pretty light, 6 full 30 round PMAG's was the minimum required fighting load required for us in country, a lot of us carried extra.
    Fortes Fortuna Juvat

Former, USMC 0311, OIF/OEF vet
    NRA Pistol/Rifle/Shotgun/Reloading Instructor, RSO, Ohio CHL Instructor

Quote Originally Posted by tommyp View Post
    I live in NYS - collapsible stocks can't exist, or have to be pinned. I'm looking for short and light - full rifle or suggestions for upper and lower. Not interested in mix and match components for building unless it's a significant weight savings.
    As I understand NYS law, you can have all those things, as long as they were made prior to the 1994 ban. I would look for a used Colt carbine from that era.

You're correct, if it's prior to 94 it's legal, but odds are it's also beat to **** and extremely over priced.

Thinking flat top, buis, free float quad rail, but again, i need something light. how do those carbon fiber bushy's hold up? Any other suggestions?

The one I got now is approx 8.5 lbs. Stainless barrel probably doesn't help that. 85 views, 4 posts. Anyone else want to chime in?

Does it have to be an AR?

How about a lever gun? Or a M1 carbine?

Or...a Kel tec Sub 2000 carbine? Sure, it shoots pistol ammo, but it is very light and folds up really small.

Does it have to be a rifle? What about a nice shotgun? A coach gun comes to mind...
    The more good folks carry guns, the fewer shots the crazies can get off.
    www.armedcitizensnetwork.org - member
    Glock 30, 19, 26; Ruger SP101, LCR, LCP (2), Mini 14; Remington 870; Marlin 336 .30-30
    CT Lasers

Yea, prefer another ar. I have a shotgun for home defense, plus the one AR. But for shtf i like the idea of another AR, light weight incase I need to hike to friends/family house, light weight of the .223, and high cap of the preban 30 round mags.

Links