Trigger Pull: Stoeger Coach Gun

This is a discussion on Trigger Pull: Stoeger Coach Gun within the Defensive Rifles & Shotgun Discussion forums, part of the Related Topics category; I've got a Stoeger side by side coach gun with terrible trigger pull on both of them. Is there something a gunsmith can do to ...

I've got a Stoeger side by side coach gun with terrible trigger pull on both of them. Is there something a gunsmith can do to lighten them up?
    Treat me good, I'll treat you better. Treat me bad, I'll treat you worse.

I know that retsupt99 sent his coach gun off to a smith and had some trigger work done among other things, if he doesn't see this thread and chime in, ask him maybe?

My coach gun is a bit stout when it comes to trigger pulls now that I think about it, but not too awful. With the popularity of Cowboy Action shooting I am sure there are a number of competent gunsmiths who can lighten up the trigger pull on the Stoeger.
    Fortes Fortuna Juvat

Former, USMC 0311, OIF/OEF vet
    NRA Pistol/Rifle/Shotgun/Reloading Instructor, RSO, Ohio CHL Instructor

Thanks, I'll contact him if he doesn't post. I just hate to spend $200 on a $400 shotgun!
    I'd like to find it done locally.

Kinda off topic, but since we're talking about coach guns & triggers; which trigger do you pull first?
    Trust in God and keep your powder dry

"A heavily armed citizenry is not about overthrowing the government; it is about preventing the government from overthrowing liberty. A people stripped of their right of self defense is defenseless against their own government." -source

Quote Originally Posted by zacii View Post
    Kinda off topic, but since we're talking about coach guns & triggers; which trigger do you pull first?
    On a gun with double triggers, the classic style is to pull the front one first, then you slide your finger back to the second trigger. The 'standard' straight English stock (no pistol grip) facilitates this, as it allows a slight rearward movement of the hand to manage the aft trigger. A relative small number of bird hunters do differently, and an even smaller fraction have such mental and physical coordination (or they hunt slow birds) that they use the tight-choked barrel first on incoming birds and the open-choked barrel on outgoers.

And to confirm the obvious, on double guns with fixed chokes and double triggers (or non-selectable trigger), the barrel with the more open choke fires first. Typically on side-by side doubles, this is the right barrel, and on over/unders it's the lower barrel... but exceptions do exist.
    Last edited by gasmitty; November 6th, 2010 at 06:31 PM.
    Smitty
    NRA Endowment Member

Quote Originally Posted by AZ Husker View Post
    I've got a Stoeger side by side coach gun with terrible trigger pull on both of them. Is there something a gunsmith can do to lighten them up?
    A gunsmith can do many things. Trigger pull? Depends. But I'm thinking that's more of a common ordeal for a gunsmith than anything else. Some are easier than others. I'm not familiar with the design of your shotgun and the trigger system. I'd need to take it apart to know. Maybe a spring, or maybe some stoning or grinding. I'm almost sure we could do this over the weekend if you bring it here, sleep on the couch, and buy the pizza. I'm also thinking there's no reason for you to spend $200 on a $400 shotgun to get it the way you'd like. If you want to take a few hours yourself, and tear it apart or find more info online, you may be able to tackle the job yourself (just don't take too much off and have a hair trigger). Regular gasoline is going for $2.62 a gallon here. 2 Large pizzas will run around $22. Just remember.....you'll have to get back home because the dogs and cats will want their couch back. LOL!
    How are you on raking leaves? While you wait? No charge for the trigger fix, and we can watch whatever is on TV while eating the pizzas.

If it weren't so far to Arkansas, I'd be there next weekend!

Thanks, I'll contact him if he doesn't post. I just hate to spend $200 on a $400 shotgun!
    Greetings...AZ Husker!

Well, I have some good news and some bad news.
    The good news...
    I purchased a Stoeger Coach Gun Supreme quite a while ago. This one... http://www.stoegerindustries.com/fir...un_supreme.php
    It's about a $400 shot gun, just an O.K. coach gun. The gun was a little 'stiff', but I liked it. It is a great gun for HD, feels great in the hand, etc.

Then I had heard about this guy... http://coyotecap.com/ He is well-known in cowboy shooting circles, so I called him up and asked him a bunch of questions.

The bad news...$$$
    I decided to get my Stoeger 'completely' reworked, but it WAS going to cost me a couple of C-Notes.
    When I got my coach gun back, it was a different gun, so to speak. It's operation was as smooth as butter.
    Coyote Cap reworked the entire gun, trigger to barrel. I shouldn't really say bad news..it was just the $$, but I would do it again to make a 'cheapie' shottie into a 'quality' shottie.
    The last Blood Moon Tetrad for this millennium starts in April 2014 and ends in September 2015...according to NASA.

Certified Glock Armorer
    NRA Life Member[/B]

Thanks for the info! I'll keep him in mind.

Distinguished Member Array LanceORYGUN's Avatar
    May be hard to find someone locally. But there are lots of good gunsmiths around the country doing work for Cowboy action shooting. You should not have to spend anywhere close to $200 to $400

Lee's Gunsmithing in southern California has a package deal where for only $85, they give the Stoeger Coach gun a trigger job, fine tune the springs, polish the action, and even hone the chambers too. All for $85

Here is a link to their website:

http://www.cowboyshooters.com/

Links