Newbie to HD Shotgun & Slug loads

This is a discussion on Newbie to HD Shotgun & Slug loads within the Defensive Rifles & Shotgun Discussion forums, part of the Related Topics category; I bought a Maverick 88 12ga for home defense. I'm reasonably handy with the weapon and keep it ready with 00 shot at home. I ...

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Newbie to HD Shotgun & Slug loads

Newbie to HD Shotgun & Slug loads

I bought a Maverick 88 12ga for home defense. I'm reasonably handy with the weapon and keep it ready with 00 shot at home. I want to have my wife get a feel for the gun and learn how to operate it in an emergency and the range is the only place convenient. The local range will only let me shoot slug shells at the indoor range. Can I shoot slugs through it with a standard shot barrel? Accuracy is not an issue at this point. Please excuse my ignorance in this matter. I am more of a pistol guy.

2. Remove Ads

Yes, you can shoot slugs with a smooth barrel with no problem. I'm sure you already know that the recoil is pretty rough with a 12 ga shooting slugs. If your wife is new to shooting you might be better off starting her out with some light #7's or #8. Is there anywhere outside of the city you live in that you might be able to light off a few?

You should be fine to shoot normal lead slugs, like the ones from Brennke or Remington (I'm pretty sure they are called sluggers) out of it.
    Fortes Fortuna Juvat

Former, USMC 0311, OIF/OEF vet
    NRA Pistol/Rifle/Shotgun/Reloading Instructor, RSO, Ohio CHL Instructor

Quote Originally Posted by Back 40 View Post
    Yes, you can shoot slugs with a smooth barrel with no problem. I'm sure you already know that the recoil is pretty rough with a 12 ga shooting slugs. If your wife is new to shooting you might be better off starting her out with some light #7's or #8. Is there anywhere outside of the city you live in that you might be able to light off a few?
    That's the issue. We are in the burbs. Not much country in these parts. Do they make light load slugs? I don't want to scare the hell out of her. Do they make "snap caps" type shells for shotguns? She has fired a over/under 20ga with bird shot years ago.

Yes, there are "lite recoil" and "tactical" buckshot and slug loads. Stay away from anything marked "magnum" - you don't need those for defense and they really add more recoil.

If you're new to scattergunning, "magnum" in buckshot and birdshot loads is primarily a heavier payload (e.g., 1-1/4 vs 1-1/8 oz of shot, or 12 pellets vs 9), and usually at a lower velocity as a result. 12 and 20 ga offer magnum 3" shells as well (vs. 2-3/4" length).

No outdoor ranges in your part of Indiana?
    Smitty
    NRA Endowment Member

Just an additional thought, but, why not try and find a place that offers some sort of clay's sport in your area? That way she could use the shotgun, and get familiar and appreciate it's capabilities, while using normal lower recoil game loads. Also, not many things are as fun as a day spent busting clays.
    Fortes Fortuna Juvat

Former, USMC 0311, OIF/OEF vet
    NRA Pistol/Rifle/Shotgun/Reloading Instructor, RSO, Ohio CHL Instructor

Distinguished Member
    Congrats on the new gun. I second the thought of sporting clays. We just went this weekend with another couple, and the other woman was totally new to shotgunning. We had a blast.

In my experience, "game loads" are more recoil than target loads, and there are also training loads which are even less spicy. She used the training loads are was happy with it. She also had one of the Past shoulder gel pads, along with a mesh sporting vest that had additional padding on it.

I use a cheekpad on the stock as well. Any of this protective gear just makes the shotgun less scary, so you can concentrate on what you are doing rather than worry about the bruises.

She will probably say that the gun feels heavy and it will probably be too long for her to fit right. From a girls perspective, it can be really tiring to shoot a shotgun that is not a good fit. Just a heads up on that.

A shottie for HD make perfect sense, I have a coach gun. I only carry 00 buck for HD because it makes bigger holes...a bunch of them.
    The last Blood Moon Tetrad for this millennium starts in April 2014 and ends in September 2015...according to NASA.

Certified Glock Armorer
    NRA Life Member[/B]

Distinguished Member Array INccwchris's Avatar
    Go to atterbury, they have a really nice skeet/trap range
    "The value you put on the lost will be determined by the sacrifice you are willing to make to seek them until they are found."

VIP Member
    S. Florida, north of the Miami mess, south of the Mouse trap
    Use "rifled slugs" in your smoothbore for better accuracy. The sabots work better in the rifled slug barrels. I've convinced a few folks that slugs are much more accurate than they thought.
    Retired USAF E-8. Avatar is OldVet from days long gone. Oh, to be young again.
    Paranoia strikes deep, into your heart it will creep. It starts when you're always afraid... "For What It's Worth" Buffalo Springfield

Federal makes a low recoil slug in their "Truball" premium line that will shoot fine in your gun and won't beat up the shooters too bad. I think accuracy with the slug is important, at typical defensive distances your OO shot wont spread too much, If either of you can hit near the center of a target with a slug, you'll be on it with buckshot too.

FWIW, all of my buckshot is also Federal, the low recoil OO with the "Flite Control" wad system. They just brought it out again to the civilain market after briefly discontinuing it. Not sure of the new stock number yet.
    Try not to screw up so bad they name the screw up after you. (Station 15 saying)

NRA Certifed Instructor

RKM
    I have a Mossberg 500 loaded with three rounds of 00 buck and last two rounds are 3" slugs. Side saddle holds two rounds of 00 buck and three 3" slugs.

Although, I dread ever having to use my shotgun indoors. I already have minor hearing loss in my left ear from ignorantly shooting a gun (for the first time ever) without hearing protection.

You'll be fine with slugs in your smooth bore shotgun. Just be aware that some of them are higher velocity than standard shot loads. This is going to make felt recoil a bit different. Just be ready.

Another thought. Numrich Gun Parts has chamber adapters that will convert your 12ga to .22, .357, 9mm, or .44mag.
    Lists price $21.60.
    Try not to screw up so bad they name the screw up after you. (Station 15 saying)

NRA Certifed Instructor

Just make sure you get rifled slugs. Only one person has mentioned it so far which is strange to me.

Rifled slugs in a smooth bore are very accurate, and completely devastating. I just buy the remmington ones at walmart, they're only 8.99 for 15. I would not shoot them in a house, it will probably go though every wall, 00 buck too. #4buck is the recommended blast for not going through drywall and killing innocents.

I keep mine loaded with one nonlethal bag load, three #4buck loads, and four 00buck loads. I always keep slugs in the speedfeed buttstock, but would be hesitant to fire them at anything less then a bear.
    Mossberg 590a1 12g 20" 8+1 Spedfeeder, modified Limbsaver butt.<>Glock G30 45 auto<>Beretta 92FS 9mm Inox
    <>Smith & Wession 360 357mag<>Marlin 60ss, Bushnell 3-9 scope<>Kel-Tec Sub2k 9mm Glock mags, quick release red dot sight<>
    All I need Is a Sig 226 .40. And .556 tactical carbine of some sort.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Links