My First AK! - Page 2

My First AK!

This is a discussion on My First AK! within the Defensive Rifles & Shotgun Discussion forums, part of the Related Topics category; Congrats on your purchase. Now learn how to fight with it. DVD's from One Source Tactical or Tactical Response are a good start until you ...

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: My First AK!

VIP Member
    Congrats on your purchase. Now learn how to fight with it. DVD's from One Source Tactical or Tactical Response are a good start until you can go to some training if you choose to take it that far. My other piece of advice is keep AR stuff off and AK they are two seperate weapons systems and while some things regarding shooting the rifle will transfer over operating them is two separate animals.

The AK platform is rock solid and caveman simple. Iron sights are fine but the rear sight blade is a little narrow. You can get a Rifle Dynamics upgrade for your model which includes widening up that rear sight among other things for about $350 which is well worth it. I did mine with a narrow file slowly and checking in between file strokes.
    WASP rifles sometimes have problems with canted sights or gas blocks it is an easy fix if yours has that problem. Invest in a decent front sight tool to adjust the sights. Mags run the full circle of quality. Bulgarian circle 10 and US Palm offer the best but can get pricey.
    AIM surplus has some good new steel ribbed mags for $9.00 a pop which are good whatever number makes you comfortable.
    As far as ammo just make sure it is not corrosive. One reason 5.45 is so cheap most is corrosive and will eat your gun up after a time. Do not be afraid to purchase metal tins of ammo that was made 10-20-30 years ago as long as the tin is sealed you are good. DO NOT lose the little can opener that comes with it or you will spend shooting time trying to open the can.

While I still own and run AR's when it gets bad I grab an AK. I carry one here on a daily basis and have total confidence in it. If you have any questions give me a shout will answer what I can or refer you to someone who can.
    "A first rate man with a third rate gun is far better than the other way around". The gun is a tool, you are the craftsman that makes it work. There are those who say "if I had to do it, I could" yet they never go out and train to do it. Don't let stupid be your mindset. Harryball 2013

Thanks for the wealth of information Tacman! I will be looking into several of your suggestions.
    Current handguns: Glock models 19, 22C, 23, 27, 29, & 36; Kimber Pro CDP and Polymer Custom; Kahr PM9 & CW9; S&W models 6906, 386PD, 66; Taurus 85 Ultralite Ti; Browning Buckmark;

Former handguns: S&W 4"686, 4" 620 & Sigma .380, Taurus 617 Ti, Kimber Pro Eclipse, Walther P22, Glock 30 & 33.

Very cool, enjoy!!
    Blessed be the LORD my strength which teacheth my hands to war, and my fingers to fight. PSALM 144:1

I CLING to my guns and my Bible.

Quote Originally Posted by OPFOR View Post
    An AK is a GLARING blank spot in my collection. I much prefer the AR platform, but I'm a little embarrassed to call myself a shooter without one (or three) in the line up somewhere. Yours sounds like a fine addition, congrats!
    This is my situation also. Lord knows I don't really NEED another rifle (let alone the evilest of evil assault machine gun mass murder weapons), but I just want one because they are a legendary firearm, look like fun to fart around at the range with, and then there the whole SHTF arguement.

Congrats OP!
    NRA Life Member

With great power comes great responsibility.-Stan Lee

Distinguished Member Array Brady's Avatar
    I have a Norinco MAK90. It's tons-o-fun! It came with the original wood stock with thumb hole. I've since replaced it with Tapco parts; M4 style 6 position rear stock, a pistol grip and a Galil style fore grip.
    Now it's R-E-E-E-A-A-A-L-L-L-Y-Y-Y EV-I-I-I-L-L-L!
    Enjoy your new toy!
    the corrosive ammo is fine as long as you clean it right away after shooting.
    ...he that hath no sword, let him sell his garment, and buy one. Luke 22:36
    USN/VET; NRA; GOA, jpfo.org
    Life in a Jar: The Irena Sendler Project www.irenasendler.com

Distinguished Member Array BlueNinjaGo's Avatar
    I have a WASR-10 as well. Spent $20 and redid the wood furniture. I like the end product. A fun little project if you got an afternoon to kill.

I bought the Bulgarian AK-74 from Centerfiresystems a few months ago and have put about 200 rounds through it. No keyholes. I think I did have one failure on the very first magazine, but no problems since then. I'm ordering another spam can soon to stock up on cheap ammo. I will also be changing the ugly furniture soon and adding a sling. EDIT: The only problem I have is the gas tube is VERY difficult to remove. I have to use the claw of a hammer to pull it out. I've filed it down a bit, but its still tight... Any suggestions?

Congrats on your new AK!

Mattwestm,
    It sounds like an assembly or parts switch fitting problem. I would check that the gas tube lock is flush with the rear sight base when you remove the gas tube. The inlet on the gas cyinder limits how far the gas tube can slide on it. There is about 1/8" to play with on the front of the gas tube, so you should be able to file it down eough for a better fit and not encounter a bind with the gas tube corrugations.
    "I do what I do." Cpl 'coach' Bowden, "Southern Comfort".

Quote Originally Posted by WHEC724 View Post
    Need the pics. I live vicariously through other's purchases.
    Yes, yes, yes - pics

-
    'Be careful, even in small matters' - Miyamoto Musashi

Quote Originally Posted by Guantes View Post
    Mattwestm,
    It sounds like an assembly or parts switch fitting problem. I would check that the gas tube lock is flush with the rear sight base when you remove the gas tube. The inlet on the gas cyinder limits how far the gas tube can slide on it. There is about 1/8" to play with on the front of the gas tube, so you should be able to file it down eough for a better fit and not encounter a bind with the gas tube corrugations.
    Thanks. I filed the front part down a bit (part that connects to the rear sight), but it's still a little tight. It is really tight when the bottom portion of the gas tube meets the top of the rear sight assembly. To be honest, I kind of expect this stuff with century. Every century product I've ever owned has needed some TLC. Also, could it be possible that the gas block is canted? I can't really tell by looking from the end of the barrel.

Quote Originally Posted by mattwestm View Post
    Thanks. I filed the front part down a bit (part that connects to the rear sight), but it's still a little tight. It is really tight when the bottom portion of the gas tube meets the top of the rear sight assembly. To be honest, I kind of expect this stuff with century. Every century product I've ever owned has needed some TLC. Also, could it be possible that the gas block is canted? I can't really tell by looking from the end of the barrel.
    Re the bottom of the gas tube and the rear sight block, thats why I said check the alignment of the gas tube lock was flush with the sight block when trying to insert the gas tube. By gas block are you referring to the tube on the barrel that the gas tube slides on to. If so, I would think that any out of alignment sufficient to cause a problem would be visible. Just work slow and frequently check your progress. I am not specifically familiar with Century stuff mine are all Chinese or Hungarian.
    "I do what I do." Cpl 'coach' Bowden, "Southern Comfort".

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Links