My First AK!

My First AK!

This is a discussion on My First AK! within the Defensive Rifles & Shotgun Discussion forums, part of the Related Topics category; I just picked up a Romanian WASR AK-74 w/underfolding stock, 2 30 rd mags, bayonet/scabbard, leather mag pouch, and assorted cleaning/maintenance tools for $500.00 OTD. ...

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: My First AK!

My First AK!

I just picked up a Romanian WASR AK-74 w/underfolding stock, 2 30 rd mags, bayonet/scabbard, leather mag pouch, and assorted cleaning/maintenance tools for $500.00 OTD. It is from Century Arms and has a chrome lined barrel. I know I could have gotten this a little cheaper online somewhere but after the FFL transfer fees, and the hassle of waiting for it to be shipped, I said what the heck and bought it. It will have plenty of company in the safe with a Mosin M44, 2 ARs, a Ruger Mini-14 and Mini-30. My birthday was last week so I justified my purchase as a belated birthday gift!

Anyone out there have one of these also?
    Current handguns: Glock models 19, 22C, 23, 27, 29, & 36; Kimber Pro CDP and Polymer Custom; Kahr PM9 & CW9; S&W models 6906, 386PD, 66; Taurus 85 Ultralite Ti; Browning Buckmark;

Former handguns: S&W 4"686, 4" 620 & Sigma .380, Taurus 617 Ti, Kimber Pro Eclipse, Walther P22, Glock 30 & 33.

VIP Member
    An AK is a GLARING blank spot in my collection. I much prefer the AR platform, but I'm a little embarrassed to call myself a shooter without one (or three) in the line up somewhere. Yours sounds like a fine addition, congrats!
    A man fires a rifle for many years, and he goes to war. And afterward he turns the rifle in at the armory, and he believes he's finished with the rifle. But no matter what else he might do with his hands - love a woman, build a house, change his son's diaper - his hands remember the rifle.

Congrats! Pics or it never really happened
    "Being armed gives you options"

Kimber Pro Carry II; S&W M&P; S&W M&P9c; Walther PPS: Ruger SP101 357: Kahr P380 w/ CT; NAA 22mag; Rock River AR-15; NEF Pardner Pump; Benelli Nova

Administrator
    AK's are a ton of fun; enjoy.
    "Just blame Sixto"

They really are becoming a fun guj to play around with and are generaly good rifles. Enjoy.
    Friends don't let friends be MALL NINJAS.

I am just as nice as anyone lets me be and can be just as mean as anyone makes me. - Quoted from Terryger, New member to our forum.

Distinguished Member Array pirate's Avatar
    Give us a range report as soon as you can. As many know some offerings from Century Arms can be hit and miss as far as build quality.
    When I leave the home port:
    S&W 642 Airweight, Ruger SP 101, Colt Detective Spec., CZ RAMI, Kahr PM9, Kahr CW40, S&W Model 10-7, Glock 30, 19, and 26, Browning Hi Power, CZ82, Colt Commander, Dan Wesson PM7, Ruger LCP

GM
    Congrats! I am sure you will enjoy it
    "The Second Amendment: America's Original Homeland Security"

Have you shot it yet? Taken it apart? I picked up a '74 a few months ago too, Bulgarian I think. I was amazed at how dirt simple the inner workings are. Makes sense, given the ultra reliable reputation AK's have earned. Such a sweet shooter, too, you can plink all day with it. I love mine!
    Keeping it stock? I am, iron sights only, not adding a thing to it. As far as I'm concerned , it's all ready perfect.

Distinguished Member

VIP Member
    Need the pics. I live vicariously through other's purchases.

"Keeping it stock? I am, iron sights only, not adding a thing to it."

That is my plan for this one. My ARs are for moddin'! I got the folding stock model for its versatility and "stow away ability". I can put it under the back seat of my pick-up and have it available on trips to the outdoors.

I will have to defer to my daughter to help me download some pics when she comes home from college for a weekend. I am not adept at that just yet!
    Current handguns: Glock models 19, 22C, 23, 27, 29, & 36; Kimber Pro CDP and Polymer Custom; Kahr PM9 & CW9; S&W models 6906, 386PD, 66; Taurus 85 Ultralite Ti; Browning Buckmark;

Former handguns: S&W 4"686, 4" 620 & Sigma .380, Taurus 617 Ti, Kimber Pro Eclipse, Walther P22, Glock 30 & 33.

Enjoy your new AK. While I'm not much for add-ons on Aks, I do believe that a Krebs aperture sight is a valuable addition.
    "I do what I do." Cpl 'coach' Bowden, "Southern Comfort".

Congrats on your AK...they are fun.

Might want to check out the link to spend more money.

http://www.aimsurplus.com/product.aspx?item=A54539R

I run my 74 for .13 a round. It's affordable and mean.

A Post Script to my original post. After further inspection, I realized that the LGS sent me on my way with the AK in the wrong box (Serial Numbers on box and gun didn't match up) so I took it back this afternoon. Sure enough they gave me the wrong box, so they found the correct one in the back and made the switch with the incorrect box. But this one came with 3 30 rd magazines instead of the 2 that were in the incorrect box. So my good deal (in my eye's anyway) just got better!! How many more mags till I have a sufficient quantity...5, 10, 20, infinity?

Personally, I consider around 15 as a minimum, plus a couple drums.
    "I do what I do." Cpl 'coach' Bowden, "Southern Comfort".

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Sponsored Links