AR/AK

AR/AK

This is a discussion on AR/AK within the Defensive Rifles & Shotgun Discussion forums, part of the Related Topics category; I recently came into a little bit of money and I was wondering is it possible to get a decent AR-15 or AK-47 for around ...

Thread: AR/AK

Distinguished Member Array INccwchris's Avatar

AR/AK

I recently came into a little bit of money and I was wondering is it possible to get a decent AR-15 or AK-47 for around 450 bucks?
    "The value you put on the lost will be determined by the sacrifice you are willing to make to seek them until they are found."

I bought my Rock River LAR-15 used for $850, you might find one somewhere but they are a bit pricey. The AR's at my local store run around $749 on sale.

I'm not sure you are going to find an AR for that price, unless, you find a snag, but for AK's: http://www.aimsurplus.com/product.as...ASR&groupid=11 I have a WASR, it works just fine fo my purposes, a Yugo M-70 underfolder might also still be in your price range.

Keep your eye open for a good deal on a decent SKS too, as they tend to be pretty good rifles, and a little less than AK's.

Another option for you: http://www.budsgunshop.com/catalog/p...s_id=411542029

Or take a look at the Saiga in your caliber of choice.
    Fortes Fortuna Juvat

Former, USMC 0311, OIF/OEF vet
    NRA Pistol/Rifle/Shotgun/Reloading Instructor, RSO, Ohio CHL Instructor

Smitty
    NRA Endowment Member

Administrator
    AR... no. AK, yes, if you look around a bit and are paitent, you can find a decent quality AK for that much.
    "Just blame Sixto"

What they said. Though it's very possible to get a poor quality AK for that amount of money.

The cheapest I can imagine getting an AR is right around $500, and that's if you only use the cheapest junk parts and build it yourself.

VIP Member
    Chris go to CMMG website. These are the folks who make a lot of quality parts for all sorts of AR manufactures and .22 conversions for AR's. They have what are called bargain basement AR's. They are demo models functionally great but used on outside. They run like $549.
    They are major brand rifles that they used but are great for a starter rifle. You may get an Armalite, Bushy, RRA they have all types.

The deal on here for the WASP is a good one. An AK will never let you down. The seller addressed the issues the WASP rifles have sometimes with canted sights and says it has none and with the mags it is a good deal.
    "A first rate man with a third rate gun is far better than the other way around". The gun is a tool, you are the craftsman that makes it work. There are those who say "if I had to do it, I could" yet they never go out and train to do it. Don't let stupid be your mindset. Harryball 2013

There are other choices for a 'perimeter' gun...
    A Marlin '30-30 would work, a Henry .22 mag would also work...in fact, you could buy both of them for less than the cost of an 'evil black rifle'.
    In a breakdown of society, how many people are you worried about at hundreds of yards away?
    The last Blood Moon Tetrad for this millennium starts in April 2014 and ends in September 2015...according to NASA.

Certified Glock Armorer
    NRA Life Member[/B]

Distinguished Member Array INccwchris's Avatar
    just to clarify, this gun is not intended for a perimeter gun or anything like that, i found an AK at my local gun store for 475 that I am putting on layaway, I went ahead and bought a Droid X phone yesturday
    "The value you put on the lost will be determined by the sacrifice you are willing to make to seek them until they are found."

Distinguished Member Array BlueNinjaGo's Avatar
    $370 for a WASR-10. It's a Romanian AK-47. It's not pretty, but it goes bang every time.

Links