Question on a side by side - Page 2

Question on a side by side

This is a discussion on Question on a side by side within the Defensive Rifles & Shotgun Discussion forums, part of the Related Topics category; I have a 1930 SXS with dual trigger but no exposed hammers that I would not feel under gunned for HD. Here is what a ...

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    I have a 1930 SXS with dual trigger but no exposed hammers that I would not feel under gunned for HD. Here is what a bad guy would see and I believe they would think twice.

MNBurl

"If everyone is thinking alike, then somebody isn't thinking" - George S. Patton.

Distinguished Member Array LanceORYGUN's Avatar
    retsup99 is mistaken here, as the much newer Stoeger Double Defense shotgun is now the one to get for home protection.

With it you can easily install night vision optics, a light, and/or a laser:

I guess it depends on what you want to do with the shotgun. Personally, if I need to move inside my home, I will use my handgun. The handgun leaves one hand free for the phone, light switches, door knobs, a flashlight, and grabbing the kids.

My shotgun (Rem 870 Express 12 gauge pump, with 20 inch Improved fixed choke barrel with rifle sights) has but one purpose - it is a last line of defense once we are all in our safe room. I am not concerned with how "handy" it is, and could just as easily live with my 26 inch barrel that I use for trap shooting. I did not mount a light, because the lights will be on, and we have flashlights in the room - and my wife will be backing me up with our Glock 19, which does have a mounted weapon light.

As far as the speed of the second shot - working the slide on a pump shotgun helps bring the gun back down onto target. I do not think there is a practical difference between speed of follow-up shots between a pump and a SxS once you factor recoil into the equation. As a side note, while shooting wobble trap, I was able to hit a bird twice with my pump shotgun - so pumps can be pretty darn fast too. Everyone else on the line had over-unders...and I beat them all with my cheap pump!

As far as keeping the firing pin spring compressed for long periods of time (and thus wanting exposed hammers instead) - I don't think that is an issue. My understanding is that springs wear from use, not from being kept compressed (I'm not a metallurgist, so correct me if I'm wrong). The Springfield XD is carried 100% cocked, so the striker spring is always compressed, and I have yet to hear of anyone being concerned about that.

The greater issue would be safety - I keep my shotgun uncocked, safety off, chamber empty in our safe. To use it, I just need to pump it, and it is ready to go. Until then, it is perfectly safe. Leaving a SxS loaded and cocked would require you to take the safety off before use. If you have exposed hammers, you need to cock them first. Seems to me that pumping the slide on a pump shotgun is a more natural action than either of those, since it is a gross movement, and not fiddling with little bits while under stress - but I admit my experience is with pumps. One other advantage to the pump is the sound - everyone knows that sound and what it means, and it has sent many BGs running without the need for a shot.

The shotgun is, without question, a better defensive arm than any handgun. Which ever you choose, it will serve you well. Hope this was helpful.
    The more good folks carry guns, the fewer shots the crazies can get off.
    www.armedcitizensnetwork.org - member
    Glock 30, 19, 26; Ruger SP101, LCR, LCP (2), Mini 14; Marlin 336 .30-30; Mossberg 500
    CT Lasers

VIP Member
    S. Florida, north of the Miami mess, south of the Mouse trap
    If I'm staring down the business end of any shotgun, I'm not concerned with the configuration or gauge, only the person on the other end!

While hammers wouldn't be my first choice (something else to fiddle with), if that's what I had, that's what I'm using.
    Retired USAF E-8. Lighten up and enjoy life because:
    Paranoia strikes deep, into your heart it will creep. It starts when you're always afraid... "For What It's Worth" Buffalo Springfield

Distinguished Member
    Quote Originally Posted by OD* View Post
    You do know that is a felony, right?
    Two, if I'm not mistaken.

Shortening it makes a SBS, then adding a foregrip makes it an AOW. Both of which need stamps, as I recall.

Distinguished Member
    Quote Originally Posted by LanceORYGUN View Post
    Stoeger Double Defense shotgun is now the one to get for home protection.

And that's just not right...

That's like putting a laser and a VFG on a lever gun!
    Last edited by Xader; December 14th, 2010 at 01:15 PM.

OD*
    Quote Originally Posted by Xader View Post
    Two, if I'm not mistaken.

Shortening it makes a SBS, then adding a foregrip makes it an AOW. Both of which need stamps, as I recall.
    You very well could be correct, sir.
    "The pistol, learn it well, carry it always ..." ~ Jeff Cooper

"Terrorists: They hated you yesterday, they hate you today, and they will hate you tomorrow. End the cycle of hatred, donít give them a tomorrow."

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Links