Question on a side by side

This is a discussion on Question on a side by side within the Defensive Rifles & Shotgun Discussion forums, part of the Related Topics category; This is the first time I have written to this forum. Normally, I am a pistol shooter - 1911's to be exact, but I as ...

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Question on a side by side

Question on a side by side

This is the first time I have written to this forum. Normally, I am a pistol shooter - 1911's to be exact, but I as I get older I am getting increasingly uncomfortable about having my pistols used for home defense. More and more, I see a shotgun as a better defense weapon.

Here is my question. What do you guys think of using a side by side with exposed hammers as a home defense weapon. It could remain loaded indefinetly. In "Coach" gun configuration, it would be short enough to use in close quarters and it should be a relatively quick re-load if neccessary. Also, does it really make a difference whether or not it is a 12 or a 20 gauge?

Thanks for any and all input.

2. Remove Ads

I have a Stoeger coachgun that certainly can fulfill the HD role. It is short and handy inside rooms and hallways. The Stoeger does not have exposed hammers, and I am okay with that. I like the way the hammers look, but can certainly live without them.

My preferred reload would be my handgun if I had to use it in a HD situation, it would be quicker than popping in more shells, but unless the BG was very determined, I don't think they would be sticking around after getting both barrels shot at them.

12 gauge is obviously a bit more powerful, but a 20 with a good buckshot load would get the job done.
    Fortes Fortuna Juvat

Former, USMC 0311, OIF/OEF vet
    NRA Pistol/Rifle/Shotgun/Reloading Instructor, RSO, Ohio CHL Instructor

I also have a Stoeger Coach Gun Supreme...this one... http://www.stoegerindustries.com/fir...un_supreme.php
    Mine is in 12 ga., and it is perfect for moving around the home and making lots of big holes.

I had mine re-worked for cowboy shooting, not to compete, but rather to have it operate more smoothly...it does!
    The last Blood Moon Tetrad for this millennium starts in April 2014 and ends in September 2015...according to NASA.

Certified Glock Armorer
    NRA Life Member[/B]

A coach gun is indeed a useful home defense gun, but don't get rid of the handguns! Training is definitely in order; as a minimum, buy or borrow the Clint Smith "Defensive Shotgun" DVD to understand how to deploy the scattergun in the home. There's a great photo somewhere, maybe in an American Handgunner magazine, of Clint with a coach gun that has a tactical flashlight fastened below the barrels with what looks like a couple of O-rings!

Not a huge difference between 20 and 12 gauge inside the home; with the 20, I don't think 00 buck is loaded, but you'll find #1, #2 or #4 buckshot, all of which are better than birdshot for human targets.
    Smitty
    NRA Endowment Member

From personal experience, I can attest that a scattergun loaded with even Birdshot works wonders on ridding your house of varmits.! But like was suggested above , buck shot is the way to go. I personally think that a good double barrel with a determined man or woman behind it is more trouble than anybody would ever want.

Administrator
    I wouldnt argue with a man using a coach gun to defend his home.
    "Just blame Sixto"

I wouldn't argue with anyone with a gun ;)
    Glock 19
    Kahr PM9
    LMT-M4
    Mossberg 590
    Shodan, Jujutsu

I think they are a great option. Like Buckeye said, the reload would be your 1911.
    Friends don't let friends be MALL NINJAS.

I am just as nice as anyone lets me be and can be just as mean as anyone makes me. - Quoted from Terryger, New member to our forum.

Distinguished Member Array Gideon's Avatar
    I wanted a HD shotgun and simply loved the Stoeger line of guns, but in the end I bought an 870 Express and installed a short youth model stock. It is simply more practical. It has enough ammo on board to handle situations and was just as handy (if not more so) than a side by side. I love the looks and feel of a side by side but I would recommend you carefully consider the real practical utility of the two.

If recoil is a problem I wouldn't hesitate to use 20 ga buck shot in a close quarters home defense scenario. I ended up going with 12 ga based because of how much more available ammo and different types of ammo are available. 20 ga buck shot isn't something I can find readily on local shelves. But if you don't mind ordering on line then no problem. You can always order a bulk shipment from Georgia Arms or other similar places and you'll have enough for years at a decent price.

i don't know how big a deal it is to leave a gun like a Stoeger cocked for extended periods of time but I can't imagine it being as big a deal as some would seem to make it.

Good luck in your choice and consider getting the training video that was recommended. I've seen it and it's outstanding.

Also, if you go with a Stoeger and can afford it; send it to someone who can work the action, they seem a bit rough and I believe you'll find it well worth the expense in the long run.

One final point; I really think a light is a VERY important tool in home defense. Another reason why I went wth an 870 pump was the ability to add a surefire led light to it. Stoeger markets a gun with a rail underneath that you could mount a light on so that's an option.

Gideon

VIP Member
    S. Florida, north of the Miami mess, south of the Mouse trap
    At inside-the-house ranges, anything from any gauge shotgun can be very discouraging. Obviously the larger the shot and gauge the more potentially lethal, but a 20 ga will serve nicely within its limitations. An advantage of the "coach" guns is they usually have a slightly longer barrel than most pumps, without increasing gun overall length. The disadvantage? Capacity. Two versus 5-6 or more with pumps, etc. But if it takes more than two, the coach gun makes a swell club.
    Retired USAF E-8. Remember: You're being watched!
    Paranoia strikes deep, into your heart it will creep. It starts when you're always afraid... "For What It's Worth" Buffalo Springfield

One often overlooked advantage of a double is that lightening fast second shot. In some situations this can make the difference.

Side by side shotguns are one of the most recognized weapons,and i doubt anyone would want to mess with a sawed off.I almost bought one,and would have sawed it off right down to a 4" barrel,leaving just enough room for the shells,and put a foregrip on to control recoil.

OD*
    Quote Originally Posted by Glocksin View Post
    I almost bought one,and would have sawed it off right down to a 4" barrel,leaving just enough room for the shells,and put a foregrip on to control recoil.
    You do know that is a felony, right?
    "The pistol, learn it well, carry it always ..." ~ Jeff Cooper

"Diligentia Vis Celeritas"

"There is very little new, and the forgotten is constantly being rediscovered."
    ~ Tiger McKee

This question came up as to a double barrel shotgun. I did a little research and looked at what the cowboy action shooters can do with these shotguns. It almost looks fake, they can reload so fast. Perhaps a butt cuff for reloads and you would be well served.

CZ makes a coach gun with hammers. It runs about $850.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Links