Benelli Nova Pump Tactical vs. Mossberg 590A1 Special Purpose

This is a discussion on Benelli Nova Pump Tactical vs. Mossberg 590A1 Special Purpose within the Defensive Rifles & Shotgun Discussion forums, part of the Related Topics category; I am interested in buying a new pump shotgun for home defense and I'm debating in between the Benelli Nova Pump Tactical and the Mossberg ...

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Results 1 to 15 of 25

Thread: Benelli Nova Pump Tactical vs. Mossberg 590A1 Special Purpose

  1. #1
    Distinguished Member Array alachner's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2010
    Location
    Costa Rica
    Posts
    1,232

    Benelli Nova Pump Tactical vs. Mossberg 590A1 Special Purpose

    I am interested in buying a new pump shotgun for home defense and I'm debating in between the Benelli Nova Pump Tactical and the Mossberg 590A1 Special Purpose. I really like the Benelli's aesthetics, ergonomics, the magazine cut-off on the forearm and the dual action bars and rotary head locking lugs which makes it handle all kinds of ammo (light loads to 3 1/2" Magnum loads). Nonetheless, the Mossberg 590A1 Special Purpose holds 9 rounds (the Benelli only holds 4+1 rounds), it is used by the U.S. Military since it passed its strict Mil-Spec 3443 standards, it has more availability of accessories, I prefer the placement of the safety and it is one of the most sold shotguns in the U.S. (Americans now their stuff when it comes to shotguns). I would appreciate all of your input to make an informed decision.

    Benelli Nova Pump Tactical



    Mossberg 590A1

    "If you carry a gun, people will call you paranoid. That's ridiculous... If I have a gun, what in the hell do I have to be paranoid for?" [Clint Smith - Thunder Ranch]

  2. Remove Ads

  3. #2
    Distinguished Member Array Der Alte's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2007
    Location
    Goldsboro, NC
    Posts
    1,843
    Both good guns but the Benelli is head and shoulders above the 590A1. Read somewhere that an individual had quite a bit of trouble with the Mossy. I use a Mossberg 88 pump.
    Its a shame that youth is wasted on the young.

  4. #3
    Distinguished Member Array alachner's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2010
    Location
    Costa Rica
    Posts
    1,232
    Quote Originally Posted by Der Alte View Post
    Both good guns but the Benelli is head and shoulders above the 590A1. Read somewhere that an individual had quite a bit of trouble with the Mossy. I use a Mossberg 88 pump.
    Thanks for your response! Why is the Benelli head and shoulders above the 590A1? The Benelli Nova Pump Tactical apparently didn't pass the Mil-Spec 3443 U.S. Military standards and torture tests that the Mossberg did and therefore it is currently being used by unformed men and women. Is there a tube extension to increase mag capacity for the Nova? How easy is it to get accessories for Benelli shotguns (sights, tactical light mounts, recoil pads, etc.)?
    "If you carry a gun, people will call you paranoid. That's ridiculous... If I have a gun, what in the hell do I have to be paranoid for?" [Clint Smith - Thunder Ranch]

  5. #4
    VIP Member Array Janq's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2005
    Posts
    6,781
    Ford = Mossy
    Chevy = Remington
    Dodge/Chrysler = Winchester/FNH
    Buick = Browning
    BMW = Benelli

    Take your pic...And no matter what every make has some body somewhere on the internets and/or at a gun shop who swears that A) Their make of choice is the bees knees or B) Their make of choice was once owned by this guy whos brother cousins mothers fathers uncle is a guide/cop/instructor who had nothing but trouble with said gun.

    Seriously.

    Select the one that feels best in hand as shouldered AND is to your own brain most intuitive toward operating the fire controls including the safety.
    After that it's generally a matter of acquisition price as everything can be increased in capacity by the aftermarket.

    - Janq much prefers Mossy simply due to the very intuitive safety, which Benelli does not have
    "Killers who are not deterred by laws against murder are not going to be deterred by laws against guns. " - Robert A. Levy

    "A license to carry a concealed weapon does not make you a free-lance policeman." - Florida Div. of Licensing

  6. #5
    Distinguished Member Array alachner's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2010
    Location
    Costa Rica
    Posts
    1,232
    Quote Originally Posted by Janq View Post
    Ford = Mossy
    Chevy = Remington
    Dodge/Chrysler = Winchester/FNH
    Buick = Browning
    BMW = Benelli

    Take your pic...And no matter what every make has some body somewhere on the internets and/or at a gun shop who swears that A) Their make of choice is the bees knees or B) Their make of choice was once owned by this guy whos brother cousins mothers fathers uncle is a guide/cop/instructor who had nothing but trouble with said gun.

    Seriously.

    Select the one that feels best in hand as shouldered AND is to your own brain most intuitive toward operating the fire controls including the safety.
    After that it's generally a matter of acquisition price as everything can be increased in capacity by the aftermarket.

    - Janq much prefers Mossy simply due to the very intuitive safety, which Benelli does not have
    Great feedback...thanks a lot! I really like the cool aesthetics of the Benelli Nova but I feel that if the Mossberg 590 is currently used by the U.S. Military and it passed their strict standards and testing, well that says a lot to me. The U.S. Military knows its stuff when it comes to select their weapons (except IMHO, the selection of the Beretta M9 over the 1911 pistol) so that is a big plus for me.

    Therefore, I will go to the gun shop soon and shoulder both shotguns, play with the controls and see what feels best. I'm also thinking of just getting both shotguns but I don't think I can afford it right now so perhaps just get one and a few months later the other.
    "If you carry a gun, people will call you paranoid. That's ridiculous... If I have a gun, what in the hell do I have to be paranoid for?" [Clint Smith - Thunder Ranch]

  7. #6
    Senior Member Array Moga's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2006
    Location
    Roswell, GA
    Posts
    738
    Some one once said that if an item is mechanical in nature, its possible for it to have a failure. I'm sure that someone, somewhere may have had a problem with a 590A1 but that's far from the norm. Recall that the 590 is the only pump-action shotgun ever to pass all stringent U. S. Military Mil-Spec 3443 standards. They're currently in use by the US Army & Navy as far as I know.

    I also prefer the 590 due to the safety on the top of the receiver. Mine has rifle sights -- another critical feature that swayed me toward the 590. Although I must admit that the magazine holds eight 2.75" rounds, not nine.
    2nd Amendment: because personal violence never makes an appointment.
    Evil resides in the heart of the individual, not in inanimate objects.
    Proud Member of GeorgiaCarry.Org

  8. #7
    Member Array Hkchris's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2009
    Location
    Germany
    Posts
    166
    I have the Benelli. The first thing I did was add the extension http://www.midwayusa.com/viewProduct...tnumber=178334
    In my opinion it is higher quality. The draw back though will be the lack of accessories. Not a problem for my intended purpose. The only other thing I added was a sling.

  9. #8
    Ex Member Array Glocksin's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2010
    Location
    Somewhere in Georgia
    Posts
    362
    I have a friend who has a regular 590 and loves it.I cant really recommend either because i have only shot pumps,but never owned one.I do have a Benelli M2,and i can recommend that...

  10. #9
    Member Array skunkworks's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2006
    Location
    Michigan
    Posts
    247
    You might want to compare the regular 590 with the A1. The A1 passed said test for a couple of reasons that are over-kill for most of us: metal trigger guard (polymer is pretty darn tough and won't dent) and a heavy barrel. For me the heavy barrel is a negative and not a positive. I most likely won't be lying down suppressive fire or engaging in any high rate of fire for extended zombie killings. The lighter barrel is easier to handle and carry. That's just my 2-cents as I opted for an 870.
    I don't think you'll go wrong with any of those choices though.
    I'll keep my freedom, my liberty, and my guns. You can keep the change.

  11. #10
    VIP Member Array Janq's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2005
    Posts
    6,781
    I can support Skunkworks position...As I own a 590A1 Compact and the heavy barrel is HEAVY.
    Both in profile being thick as hell (Remington 870 barrels are paper thin in comparison) and all that steel weighs as mass.

    My barrel is just 14" long and it weighs nearly the same (!) as an 870 Super Magnum turkey guns 20" barrel (I weighed both independently).
    As Skukworks noted almost nobody in the civilian world would fine themself real world needing to fire enough rounds consecutively to heat up the A1s barrel so much that it would be too hot to hold.
    I experienced this yesterday running 35 shells of slug through my gun. I use same hold as I would with a carbine with my fingers touching and wrapping around the barrel at a forward position. The brrel on my gun got hot enough that I was like wow this is hot. But it was not so hot that I could not continue to hold it. Again that was after 35 shells in just over an hours time.
    The A1 IMHO is overkill for what most civilians would ever need. In fact again IMHO the 500 (directly comparable to the Remy 870) , from which the 590 is based, is more than enough gun for most average owners especially HD fixated persons.

    A heavy barreled 590A1 in 20" length is overall a very heavy tool. Sledge hammer.
    The 18" version slightly less so.
    The regular 590 as having a light/normal profile barrel same as the 500 and directly akin to the Remy 870 and all Benelli across the board (Neither makes a 'Heavy' profile barrel).

    Functionally the 500/590/590A1 are exactly same.
    The only difference are that the 590 barrel is attached to the receiver differently than the 500, but not as to be more securely, allowing for easier magazine clearing and/or maintenance.
    The 590A1 is overkill.
    The Remington 870 has alos been purchased COTS by various agencies military and para-military (FBI, Treasury, BoP, Secret Service, etc.) and has an exemplaray service record and had also been used by troopers through Vietnam prior to the Mossberg acquisition.
    Benelli has been depended on by the USCG as well as the Marines for some time now (IIRC a decade) and few among those groups has anything untoward to say about it's performance.
    Winchester/FN has a long history among hunters, sporting owners as well as competitors and police end users...Their rep stands on it's own.

    Honestly any one of these will work excellent for Joe Average-Homeowner.
    Shoulder the gun, handle it's fire controls and whichever one _feels_ most best and most natural as well as is individual purse straps compatible...Then well carry that one home and run it with as much training ammo as you can afford.

    - Janq
    "Killers who are not deterred by laws against murder are not going to be deterred by laws against guns. " - Robert A. Levy

    "A license to carry a concealed weapon does not make you a free-lance policeman." - Florida Div. of Licensing

  12. #11
    Distinguished Member Array AKsrule's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2004
    Location
    Pennsylvania
    Posts
    1,387
    I have owned several commercial Mossberg pumps , they are tough as nails- the Mil Spec version can only be better.
    -------
    -SIG , it's What's for Dinner-

    know your rights!
    http://www.handgunlaw.us

    "If I walk in the woods, I feel much more comfortable carrying a gun. What if you meet a bear in the woods that's going to attack you? You shoot it."
    {Bernhard Goetz}

  13. #12
    Distinguished Member Array alachner's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2010
    Location
    Costa Rica
    Posts
    1,232
    Quote Originally Posted by Janq View Post
    I can support Skunkworks position...As I own a 590A1 Compact and the heavy barrel is HEAVY.
    Both in profile being thick as hell (Remington 870 barrels are paper thin in comparison) and all that steel weighs as mass.

    My barrel is just 14" long and it weighs nearly the same (!) as an 870 Super Magnum turkey guns 20" barrel (I weighed both independently).
    As Skukworks noted almost nobody in the civilian world would fine themself real world needing to fire enough rounds consecutively to heat up the A1s barrel so much that it would be too hot to hold.
    I experienced this yesterday running 35 shells of slug through my gun. I use same hold as I would with a carbine with my fingers touching and wrapping around the barrel at a forward position. The brrel on my gun got hot enough that I was like wow this is hot. But it was not so hot that I could not continue to hold it. Again that was after 35 shells in just over an hours time.
    The A1 IMHO is overkill for what most civilians would ever need. In fact again IMHO the 500 (directly comparable to the Remy 870) , from which the 590 is based, is more than enough gun for most average owners especially HD fixated persons.

    A heavy barreled 590A1 in 20" length is overall a very heavy tool. Sledge hammer.
    The 18" version slightly less so.
    The regular 590 as having a light/normal profile barrel same as the 500 and directly akin to the Remy 870 and all Benelli across the board (Neither makes a 'Heavy' profile barrel).

    Functionally the 500/590/590A1 are exactly same.
    The only difference are that the 590 barrel is attached to the receiver differently than the 500, but not as to be more securely, allowing for easier magazine clearing and/or maintenance.
    The 590A1 is overkill.
    The Remington 870 has alos been purchased COTS by various agencies military and para-military (FBI, Treasury, BoP, Secret Service, etc.) and has an exemplaray service record and had also been used by troopers through Vietnam prior to the Mossberg acquisition.
    Benelli has been depended on by the USCG as well as the Marines for some time now (IIRC a decade) and few among those groups has anything untoward to say about it's performance.
    Winchester/FN has a long history among hunters, sporting owners as well as competitors and police end users...Their rep stands on it's own.

    Honestly any one of these will work excellent for Joe Average-Homeowner.
    Shoulder the gun, handle it's fire controls and whichever one _feels_ most best and most natural as well as is individual purse straps compatible...Then well carry that one home and run it with as much training ammo as you can afford.

    - Janq
    Thanks for the great feedback! I have held the Mossberg 590A1 with an 18.5" and 20.0" barrel and yes, they are both heavy. Nonetheless, I am tall and well built so I have no problem holding the shotgun and since I won't be holding it for long periods of time (unless SHTF), I have no problem with a heavy barrel and the sturdy construction is a plus. I still have to shoulder the Benelli Nova Pump Tactical to compare and play with the controls but I think I'm dead on set with the Mossberg for being the choice of the military.
    "If you carry a gun, people will call you paranoid. That's ridiculous... If I have a gun, what in the hell do I have to be paranoid for?" [Clint Smith - Thunder Ranch]

  14. #13
    Member Array Fastball's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2007
    Location
    York County, PA
    Posts
    424
    I just did a lot of looking at shotguns myself recently and got to shoot both these guns you're considering. The Benelli shot better hands down!! Smoother action, better bolt for ejection and pointed a heck of alot better. I really did not care for the Mossy. It felt cheap, no offense Mossy owners!

    To be honest with you I did not go for the Benelli though, I went with a 870 Police model. I will add 2 things that pushed me away from the Benelli. First was indeed the lack of goodies for customizing, but the big kicker is that when the slide is all the way back, it completely covers the load port. Let me eloborate, my brother-in-law has one of these for duck hunting and he swears it's the best shotgun he has ever taken out in the field, but it has jammed on him twice now, more than likely from him not cycling it firmly enough. But both times it did this it jammed with the slide all the way back with the gun locked up and his day of hunting was over. He literally had to tear the live shell apart with needle nose pliers to get the weapon freed up.

    Now I've never worked much on shotguns and have never experienced this before myself, but he's a huge shotgunner and he couldn't disassemble the weapon with the way it was jammed. After hearing this and thinking if it did this in a SHTF scenerio,........game over.

    Hope my description wasn't too confusing.
    You never see a motorcycle parked ouside a psychiatrist's office!

  15. #14
    Ex Member
    Array 1 old 0311's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2010
    Location
    Earth
    Posts
    2,429
    I have 2 Mossbergs and both have been 100% FLAWLESS. How can you get better than that?

  16. #15
    VIP Member
    Array atctimmy's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2008
    Location
    NSA Headquarters
    Posts
    6,390
    Both products are top notch. Do what Janq said and pick the one that fits you best.
    It is surely true that you can lead a horse to water but you can't make them drink. Nor can you make them grateful for your efforts.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Links

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  

Similar Threads

  1. WTS Benelli Nova 12 gauge ARK
    By 45XDCCW in forum Member Buy, Sell & Trade
    Replies: 9
    Last Post: July 12th, 2009, 01:14 AM
  2. Is my benelli nova a keeper or should I look for something else
    By tangoseal in forum Defensive Rifles & Shotgun Discussion
    Replies: 12
    Last Post: July 7th, 2009, 06:44 AM
  3. Benelli NOVA mag Extension 12 Ga [IA]
    By sbebenelli in forum Member Buy, Sell & Trade
    Replies: 0
    Last Post: March 22nd, 2009, 03:41 PM
  4. Benelli Super Nova Tactical Pump Shotgun
    By fotomaker57 in forum Defensive Rifles & Shotgun Discussion
    Replies: 18
    Last Post: March 7th, 2008, 07:05 AM
  5. Benelli Nova
    By skunkworks in forum Defensive Rifles & Shotgun Discussion
    Replies: 4
    Last Post: September 12th, 2006, 11:21 PM

Search tags for this page

benelli nova accessories

,
benelli nova pump accessories
,
benelli nova pump tactical
,
benelli nova tactical
,

benelli nova tactical accessories

,
benelli vs mossberg
,
mossberg 590 price
,

mossberg 590a1

,

mossberg 590a1 accessories

,

mossberg 590a1 price

,
mossberg 590a1 special purpose
,
mossberg vs benelli
Click on a term to search for related topics.