Nagant, Mauser, or SKS?

This is a discussion on Nagant, Mauser, or SKS? within the Defensive Rifles & Shotgun Discussion forums, part of the Related Topics category; I'm looking into getting a cheap beater rifle for my truck. Can anyone comment on the Mosin-Nagant, Mauser 98K, or SKS for this role. Initially ...

Thread: Nagant, Mauser, or SKS?

Nagant, Mauser, or SKS?

I'm looking into getting a cheap beater rifle for my truck. Can anyone comment on the Mosin-Nagant, Mauser 98K, or SKS for this role. Initially I lean towards the SKS because it is semi-auto and shoots a readily available round. But I am also looking into the Nagants. I kinda like the looks, but I've never handled on so I don't know about the quality and ammo availability. I could get a Nagant for under $100 online.

2. Remove Ads

Senior Moderator
    I've got several of each.

It depends on what you are looking for.

The Nagants are good for the money. For the truck, you'll want the M44 or the 38 ,they are the carbine version of the longer 91/30. The only difference between the 38 and the 44 is that the 44 has a folding bayonet. Its roughly comaparable to a .308 ballistically, its a pretty potent round. Its a heavy little gun.

The Mausers will proabably take the edge in accuracy, in 8MM its also about like a 308. Its a pretty standard looking bolt action and they are built like a tank.

The SKS is about equivalent to a .30-30. Its less powerful, but it has the advantage of being semi auto and having a 10 shot magazine vs. 5 for the other two. Its not a tack driver, but you ought to be able to keep them all on a pie plate at 100 yards.

The SKS is pretty customizable too. You can get a multitude of stocks for it, 30 round magazines, different sights, and trick it out however you want. The Mosin is very limited in that area, as is the Mauser.

Assistant Administrator
    Can't say it much better than HG already has!

I have all of these and variants - and while the 91/30 is a great rifle it is yes, too long. I have a re-arsenalled 38 and that is a great compact gun even tho heavy.

A good K98 is worth getting anyways but again maybe a shade cumbersome.
    Chris - P95
    NRA Certified Instructor & NRA Life Member.

"To own a gun and assume that you are armed
    is like owning a piano and assuming that you are a musician!."

http://www.rkba-2a.com/ - a portal for 2A links, articles and some videos.

My new to me 1954 Russian SKS showing some of the trickery that can be done with them.

[IMG][/IMG]

Ti.
    Train and train hard, you might not get a second chance to make a first impression!

I vote for Monica Lewinsky's Ex-Boyfriend's Wife for President.....Not!

Whatever I get I'd just keep it stock. The only mod to any one of them would be the SKS and that would be to replace the 10rd mag with a 20rd internal mag. The last thing I need to spend my money on is tricking out a rifle that will sit behind my truck seat. I just want something reliable and cheap.

Senior Moderator
    A suggestion...
    Notice the length of the standard stock in on Ti Carry's picture,the SKS vs the aftermarkets.

The SKS stock is awful short. If yuou dont do anything else,it would be a good idea to put on a different stock and get another inch or two on the length.

It'll feel alot better.

Distinguished Member Array randytulsa2's Avatar
    I'm a huge Mosin fan; I've got 12 and I rotate them for use in my truck.

They are the least expensive of your options and they shoot well enough my intended "truck rifle" purposes.

But you really couldn't go too far wrong with ANY of the options that you've listed. An SKS is about as reliable and trouble-free as a semi-automatic can be. And you get a lot of firepower for not much money.

A Mauser is a heckuva rifle, too. Pretty cheap, pretty accurate, reliable, just like the others.

Just get whichever you one you want. Or all three.

But for the price of an SKS, you can probably get two Mosins. Depending on the Mauser you get, you can probably buy more than two Mosins. Or a Mosin and a truckload of ammo for it....

8mm ammo can be a little expensive compared to 7.62x54r.

I'd buy the rifle once and the ammo for aslong as I had the rifle. SO The SKS might be the best choice.

I like them all, but for a "beater", I'd probably get the SKS. Lot's of accessories and options available and the ammo is cheap and can be found almost everywhere.

I own all three and the Mauser is the most accurate and shoots about like a 30-06. The M-N is similar to a 308, but with a bit more kick, at least in the gun I have. The SKS uses the 7.62x39 and is probably closest to a 30-30 in accuracy and stopping power. The SKS is also a semi-auto, unlike the other two which are bolt actions. It's also not much more expensive than a comparable M-N and the M-N 's ammo is usually harder to find (as well as more expensive).
    "... Americans... we want a safe home, to keep the money we make and shoot bad guys." -- Denny Crane

Senior Member Array hsuCowboy98's Avatar
    I too own all three, and each have their strengths and weaknesses, which others have pointed out nicely.

If you want a true beater gun, the M44 Mosin is hard to beat, and the bayonet makes for a mean looking built in feature.

The mauser family will probably edge out the other two in accuracy, but the availability of non-corrosive ammo is short, and expensive; and you wouldnt want to have to clean immediately after shooting a beater gun.

The SKS is a good solid semi-auto, just dont try to turn it into an AK with accessories and such, and therefore compromise its reliability. Just a note, make sure to inspect your SKS trigger sear if you go that route and ensure it is not prone to "slam fire". Some of the newest imports have been having issues with this.

check out http://www.surplusrifle.com and look at articles on each to help you decide.

Good luck with whatever you get.
    Fear No Evil.

Links