Paper killing.

Paper killing.

This is a discussion on Paper killing. within the Defensive Rifles & Shotgun Discussion forums, part of the Related Topics category; My current outdoor range entertainment has been paper targets from a bench rest at 100-200 yards with a Colt 16" AR-15. Very accurate, 1.5 moa ...

Thread: Paper killing.

Paper killing.

My current outdoor range entertainment has been paper targets from a bench rest at 100-200 yards with a Colt 16" AR-15. Very accurate, 1.5 moa groups, but it has become expensive at about 400 rounds per weekend. To slow down this ammo game a little bit, I placed an order for a Weatherby Vanguard bolt action rifle which is advertised to be pretty accurate. Anyone have any experience with this gun ? Any estimates on how long the barrel might last ? Would appreciate your input.

VIP Member
    Hiding inside a bottle of Jim Beam Black.
    No experience with that rifle, but the .223 isn't particularly hard on barrels, not like the .22-250 and such. I've got a Rem 788 .223 I bought back in '80. It hadn't been fired in 20 years, so I broke it out last week and it shot sub-inch groups @100yards. Many a rockchuck became coyote food because of this tackdriver.

At the rate you're using ammo, I hope you're reloading. It's a great way to "tune" a round for your particular gun. All I ever used was 5.56 brass with mid-range loads; hot loads never proved more accurate (often the opposite) or more effective. Speer 55 grn SPBT was my preferred bullet. If I did my part, the 788 would shred a quarter all day long at 100 yds. I'm sure the Weatherby will do the same. Great little cartridge!
    Retired USAF E-8. Lighten up and enjoy life because:
    Paranoia strikes deep, into your heart it will creep. It starts when you're always afraid... Buffalo Springfield - For What It's Worth

Well, thats pretty good news. My Colt AR has about 7k rounds thru it at this point and the accuracy hasn't deteriorated much; if I can get 10k rounds each thru it and the Weatherby, that'd be good. Those .223s @ 3,000 fps burn pretty hot and that was my concern. Haven't gotten into reloading yet. I rationalize my laziness by concluding in my mind that the savings aren't all that much on .223s when the cost of equipment and time, etc. is considered.
    (BTW, I'm really impressed with your avatar picture of your dad ..... on Tinian ...... A-bomb loading pits underneath B-29 Superforts ! Whew ! My brother-in-law was an Army Engineer who helped build the airfield on Tinian.)

Quote Originally Posted by CURMUDGEON5 View Post
    Well, thats pretty good news. My Colt AR has about 7k rounds thru it at this point and the accuracy hasn't deteriorated much; if I can get 10k rounds each thru it and the Weatherby, that'd be good. Those .223s @ 3,000 fps burn pretty hot and that was my concern. Haven't gotten into reloading yet. I rationalize my laziness by concluding in my mind that the savings aren't all that much on .223s when the cost of equipment and time, etc. is considered.
    (BTW, I'm really impressed with your avatar picture of your dad ..... on Tinian ...... A-bomb loading pits underneath B-29 Superforts ! Whew ! My brother-in-law was an Army Engineer who helped build the airfield on Tinian.)
    With any bolt action rifle, I'm one of the fans that says reload for it. With a semi-auto, you'll never get out of it what you'll put into it IMO.

Thats a good point ........ reload to optimize the accuracy of a particular gun; gotta give that a little more consideration after I get involved with the new Weatherby.

Sponsored Links