Pof .308?

Pof .308?

This is a discussion on Pof .308? within the Defensive Rifles & Shotgun Discussion forums, part of the Related Topics category; My eyes are bleeding from reading and researching. Everything I have read says that the POF 16-MRR-308 is the best possible all round .308 available. ...

Thread: Pof .308?

Pof .308?

My eyes are bleeding from reading and researching. Everything I have read says that the POF 16-MRR-308 is the best possible all round .308 available. Ultra reliable, tac driver accurate, low maintenance, rarely needs cleaning and does not require lubricant. Anyone have any negative experience? Any input based on actual personal hands on experience with POF especially their .308 would be greatly appreciated.
    Abort the Obamanation not the Constitution

Those who would, deny, require permit, license, certification, or authorization for me to bear arms are as vile, dangerous & evil as those who would molest, abuse, assault, rape or murder my family

For what it's worth, I came to the same conclusion, although, I think the LMT .308 is probably an excellent weapon. Both are too pricey for me right now. If you can afford it, I don't think you can go wrong.
    There's something happening here
    What it is ain't exactly clear
    There's a man with a gun over there
    Telling me I got to beware

Not to rain on the parade, but the POF ARs have only a middling reputation among the pros I interact with... but maybe their .308 is the cat's pajamas.

Have you also looked at the Fulton Armory offerings in M14/M1A and Stoner-action rifles?
    Smitty
    NRA Endowment Member

Distinguished Member Array LanceORYGUN's Avatar
    FN's SCAR 17 can give this rifle a run for its money.

Plus, it is 3/4 lb lighter in weight.

Quote Originally Posted by docdozer View Post
    For what it's worth, I came to the same conclusion, although, I think the LMT .308 is probably an excellent weapon. Both are too pricey for me right now. If you can afford it, I don't think you can go wrong.
    I did consider LMT, and LWRCI REPR,but the POF has stood out due primarily to their proprietary NP3 coating.Any thoughts? Personal preferance? Why??

Quote Originally Posted by gasmitty View Post
    Not to rain on the parade, but the POF ARs have only a middling reputation among the pros I interact with... but maybe their .308 is the cat's pajamas.

Have you also looked at the Fulton Armory offerings in M14/M1A and Stoner-action rifles?
    OK this is what I was looking for can you be more specific? As I can only find positive info. I will look at the Fulton Armory offerings. One more in the mix

Quote Originally Posted by LanceORYGUN View Post
    FN's SCAR 17 can give this rifle a run for its money.

Plus, it is 3/4 lb lighter in weight.
    Thanks but I have made that decision long ago and have opted the AR platform primarily because more parts availability. Plus many AR10 parts are interchangeable with AR15 and I do not like the proprietary mags

Those who would, deny, require permit, license, certification, or authorization for me to bear arms are as vile, dangerous & evil as those who would molest, abuse, assault, rape or murder my family

Quote Originally Posted by LongRider View Post
    OK this is what I was looking for can you be more specific? As I can only find positive info. I will look at the Fulton Armory offerings. One more in the mix
    The source of my info on POF comes from a restricted forum run by Jeff Gonzales and Pat Rogers.

Pat Rogers: "Can you say SUX? The few we have seen don't have much going for them. Freddie Blish had the only one that we had in any of our courses that ran really well."

Jeff Gonzales: "My experience mirrors Pat's. Our 2009 Failure log had 4 POF complete failures out of the 4 POF rifles we had come through our classes. They had to be removed and replaced with other rifles. I have had a lot of folks tell me they run great, I have yet to see one in our classes. I am not sure why one would go from Colt to them other than they are local. I know that we don't have a good track record with those guys, I tried to provide feedback to Frank after the first rifle and got a stonewall to put it mildly. I don't have time for that kind of attitude. In my opinion, POF is the new EOTech."

Other comments from contributors:

"I was in one of Jeff's Carbine classes this past June when a POF died and did not make it through the first day."

"I was the proud owner of the POF that went TU during CC1/SMC in Corsicana last year. The rifle was completely locked up with a live round in the chamber by a broken op rod, which sheared off under the head. It took Jeff, myself and a Leatherman twenty minutes to render it safe. Prior to that, the charging handle could not be retracted and the weapon could not be placed on safe."

"I have a POF rifle and used it in one of Jeff's classes . Well let me tell you that this rifle went TU at least all during the class , from stove pipes to failure to eject ,I might add all reliably well !! Sean and Jeff had made bets that morning of the class to see when the rifle in question would go down! I must say I was a little surprised that they said such a thing about my rifle , but they were RIGHT !!! It did not take more than an hour or so before it started to do it's thing with the problems. Do yourself a big favor and buy a real gun like a Colt ,LMT or LWRC or something that these guys recommend you will glad you did!

Hope this helps.
    Smitty
    NRA Endowment Member

VIP Member
    Not cheap, and apparently not in production at the moment, but Noveske makes ARs in 7.62 that accept AR-10 mags. Here's at least one for sale:

http://www.rainierarms.com/?page=sho...roduct_id=1841

I have yet to find a bad word said about their products, and I know I love my SPR in 5.56...
    A man fires a rifle for many years, and he goes to war. And afterward he turns the rifle in at the armory, and he believes he's finished with the rifle. But no matter what else he might do with his hands - love a woman, build a house, change his son's diaper - his hands remember the rifle.

OD*
    I'd like to look into Colt's SP901.
    "The pistol, learn it well, carry it always ..." ~ Jeff Cooper

"Terrorists: They hated you yesterday, they hate you today, and they will hate you tomorrow. End the cycle of hatred, don’t give them a tomorrow."

Quote Originally Posted by OD* View Post
    I'd like to look into Colt's SP901.
    http://onlygunsandmoney.blogspot.com...r-carbine.html

This is the first time I've heard of the SP901. Good stuff! Now that is more of an AR one can sink his teeth into rather than one that flings weenie bullets. .30s forever!

OD*, do you ever show up over on Colt Forum?
    Charter Member of the DC .41 LC Society

“No possible rapidity of fire can atone for habitual carelessness of aim with the first shot.”

Theodore Roosevelt, The Wilderness Hunter, 1893

OD*
    Quote Originally Posted by bmcgilvray View Post
    http://onlygunsandmoney.blogspot.com...r-carbine.html

This is the first time I've heard of the SP901. Good stuff! Now that is more of an AR one can sink his teeth into rather than one that flings weenie bullets. .30s forever!

OD*, do you ever show up over on Colt Forum?
    Yes Sir, post over there as OD45.

I'd love to see an SP901 in person.

"Terrorists: They hated you yesterday, they hate you today, and they will hate you tomorrow. End the cycle of hatred, don’t give them a tomorrow."

Quote Originally Posted by gasmitty View Post
    Hope this helps.
    Thank you, it does. Not raining on my parade at all more like a torrential down pour. But seriously thank you. Exactly what I rather hear before I dump my hard earned cash on a rifle, especially one I expect to be my #1 primary do everything rifle.
    Some questions are these AR15 5.56 they are talking about? Any idea what the cause of these problems were? Where they direct impingement or piston? Did these rifle have the C.R.O.S. and NP3 coatings.

Quote Originally Posted by OPFOR View Post
    Not cheap, and apparently not in production at the moment, but Noveske makes ARs in 7.62 that accept AR-10 mags. Here's at least one for sale:

http://www.rainierarms.com/?page=sho...roduct_id=1841

I have yet to find a bad word said about their products, and I know I love my SPR in 5.56...
    As far as I can tell no decent AR 10 is cheap. I know that you are a Noveske fan and have real world experience in harms way to base your opinion on. So obviously yours is an opinion I value. Any hands on experience with AR 10 variants. Opinions about the newer piston driven ARs or POF's C.R.O.S. and NP3 coatings? Or any experience with POF at all?

I have a friend that just posted on Facebook his POF .308 which is a jammomatic and groups more like a shotgun pattern than a rifle. Sample of one.

Quote Originally Posted by OD* View Post
    Yes Sir, post over there as OD45.

I'd love to see an SP901 in person.
    Yeah well, I suspected as much. Strangely enough, I post there as bmcgilvray. Bet you never figured me out.

I'd like to handle an shoot an SP901 too.
    Charter Member of the DC .41 LC Society

“No possible rapidity of fire can atone for habitual carelessness of aim with the first shot.”

Theodore Roosevelt, The Wilderness Hunter, 1893

OD*
    Quote Originally Posted by bmcgilvray View Post
    Yeah well, I suspected as much. Strangely enough, I post there as bmcgilvray. Bet you never figured me out.
    Yep, I coulda been a detective.

Links