Took my new Mossberg 590 to the range today

This is a discussion on Took my new Mossberg 590 to the range today within the Defensive Rifles & Shotgun Discussion forums, part of the Related Topics category; Shooting Winchestester rifled slugs (1700 fps) This was my first time shooting a long gun, let alone a shotgun. at 50 yards I scored 3 ...

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Took my new Mossberg 590 to the range today

Shooting Winchestester rifled slugs (1700 fps)

This was my first time shooting a long gun, let alone a shotgun. at 50 yards I scored 3 bulls-eyes and everything else was withing the target ring and pretty close.

at 100 yards I was not so lucky. I hit the paper target but nothing close to center :(...after retrieving my target board I realized I was shooting a bit right on pretty much all my shots. I fired a couple more with that correction and got all 3 to land relatively where I wanted them.

I think I did well for a first time, my shoulder will forgive me eventually.
    Glock 19
    Kahr PM9
    LMT-M4
    Mossberg 590
    Shodan, Jujutsu

Distinguished Member Array Jason Storm's Avatar
    Glad you had a great time with it. I also have a 590 myself since 2006 and I would not trade it for any other shotgun because of its reliabilty and simplicity of operation. Does yours have speedfeed holders and a heat shield just like mine? Just asking as I have seen most of them with those extra features. As for defense loads, I prefer and use Federal Tactical 00 Buck for it.

Quote Originally Posted by ctsketch View Post
    Shooting Winchestester rifled slugs (1700 fps)

This was my first time shooting a long gun, let alone a shotgun. at 50 yards I scored 3 bulls-eyes and everything else was withing the target ring and pretty close.

at 100 yards I was not so lucky. I hit the paper target but nothing close to center :(...after retrieving my target board I realized I was shooting a bit right on pretty much all my shots. I fired a couple more with that correction and got all 3 to land relatively where I wanted them.

I think I did well for a first time, my shoulder will forgive me eventually.
    I think you did well too! Glad you got out to the range. IMO.......50yds is a good distance for a smooth bore with rifled slugs and more than likely a short barrel (20" or less). If you're disappointed with your 100yd results, don't be. You're expecting too much with what you've got IMO. I'm always good with slugs in a smooth bore, and yep....the shoulder will take a beating especially with a lighter weight synthetic stock shotgun. 1700-1850fps makes an impact on each end with those slugs. I've got a bunch of them from Wal mart mark downs...Remington and Winchester.
    IMO....if this is a double duty shotgun, or HD specifically, you should to try out and pattern some shot from #2 up to '00' buck and see how it does for you and the gun. If you haven't lost any feeling in your shoulder, or you're not bruised.........go out and do it all over again tomorrow. This tends to settle the shoulder in better than a rest between sessions IMO. You rest now, and you'll more than likely think about it too much and the next range session you'll be thinking of the same pain and less likely to go out and do it. Kind of like riding a bicycle and having a crash.........if you go home crying while holding your bike or towing it along......you'll get home in due time and in misery. If you pull the gravel out of your legs, let the blood congeal, and get back on your bike, you'll get home a lot faster.
    LOL! Congrats on your new Mossy 590 and a day at the range!

Does yours have speedfeed holders and a heat shield just like mine? Just asking as I have seen most of them with those extra features. As for defense loads, I prefer and use Federal Tactical 00 Buck for it.
    I have the 18.5" with speedfeed and no heat shield

IMO....if this is a double duty shotgun, or HD specifically, you should to try out and pattern some shot from #2 up to '00' buck and see how it does for you and the gun. If you haven't lost any feeling in your shoulder, or you're not bruised.........go out and do it all over again tomorrow.
    Its for HD specifically. Have it loaded with 00 buck. I would love to see its patterning (I have the flight control Federals) but I am having difficulty finding a public range around here that will let me fire shot anywhere other than the Trap and Skeet field.

If you haven't lost any feeling in your shoulder, or you're not bruised.........go out and do it all over again tomorrow. This tends to settle the shoulder in better than a rest between sessions IMO. You rest now, and you'll more than likely think about it too much and the next range session you'll be thinking of the same pain and less likely to go out and do it.
    I have a small bruise because one time I wasn't holding it tightly enough but its not bad. Paint hasn't deterred my from Jujutsu after 6 years, I doubt a little butt stock beating will do the same ;)
    Glock 19
    Kahr PM9
    LMT-M4
    Mossberg 590
    Shodan, Jujutsu

Often ranges will not allow shot due to damage to target frames. If you bring your own frame, sometimes they will relent.
    "I do what I do." Cpl 'coach' Bowden, "Southern Comfort".

Its for HD specifically. Have it loaded with 00 buck. I would love to see its patterning (I have the flight control Federals) but I am having difficulty finding a public range around here that will let me fire shot anywhere other than the Trap and Skeet field.
    My bad. I know how it was with the public firing ranges I've used in the past. That usually meant getting up way to early and getting there before anyone else if I wanted to do what I wanted to do. These days, the public firing range is still an option, but we got into a club and we pay yearly. It's worth it, but I also realize certain parts of the country don't hold many options unless you outright own 10+ acres and set up your own range. If you have a trap/skeet field, build your own targets and set them out. I've seen lots of folks at the club range bring out their home made targets/stands because you still have to shoot from the line. I just tend to go when I know nobody else will be there. Been surprised a time or two on my judgment of best times. It happens if you don't own 10 acres for yourself.

I have the 18.5" with speedfeed and no heat shield

I have a small bruise because one time I wasn't holding it tightly enough but its not bad. Paint hasn't deterred my from Jujutsu after 6 years, I doubt a little butt stock beating will do the same ;)
    You're gonna get bruised the first time out. But once you keep the butt on the meat of your chest and shoot with low recoil loads (like Federal Tactical 00 Buck or anything that is just 2 3/4"), very little chances or no chances of bruising. Also, the faster you shoot, the lesser the impact of the recoil.

Quote Originally Posted by Jason Storm View Post
    You're gonna get bruised the first time out. But once you keep the butt on the meat of your chest and shoot with low recoil loads (like Federal Tactical 00 Buck or anything that is just 2 3/4"), very little chances or no chances of bruising. Also, the faster you shoot, the lesser the impact of the recoil.
    LOL! I have images of a human yo-yo running through my head now.....rocking back and forth with the recoil. Free hand.....this almost dictates a good forward stance and a tight hold against the shoulder. The shot barreled, light weight shotgun can be one of the most punishing for the end user. E=MC˛ once again. It's a big bore. If you're looking at the shotgun for a primary HD gun, then you need to know it's limitations as well as be able to operate it effectively. Your choice of ammo will come with practice. Slugs are good and when they hit....they are like a flying sledge hammer....they can also blow out a brick wall from the inside of the house, but they are only one single projectile. The shotgun was made specifically to put out multiple projectiles in a focused pattern. Nothing wrong with a shotgun for primary home defense. The thinking behind that method deserves a lot of attention to detail IMO.

Shooting slugs seated from the bench is a bruising situation... never found it to be otherwise. With your butt planted, your body isn't free to roll back with recoil as it would if you were shooting offhand. If you can still reach the trigger OK, a small sandbag or bag of shot between the gun's butt and your shoulder will help ease the sharpness of the recoil. But that's only for initial familiarization or sighting in... you won't be shooting from the bench in a self-defense situation!
    Smitty
    NRA Endowment Member
    NROI Chief Range Officer

Quote Originally Posted by Ram Rod View Post
    My bad. I know how it was with the public firing ranges I've used in the past. That usually meant getting up way to early and getting there before anyone else if I wanted to do what I wanted to do. These days, the public firing range is still an option, but we got into a club and we pay yearly. It's worth it, but I also realize certain parts of the country don't hold many options unless you outright own 10+ acres and set up your own range. If you have a trap/skeet field, build your own targets and set them out. I've seen lots of folks at the club range bring out their home made targets/stands because you still have to shoot from the line. I just tend to go when I know nobody else will be there. Been surprised a time or two on my judgment of best times. It happens if you don't own 10 acres for yourself.
    Ooh!!! The most punishing loads I have ever fired for the first time were 3" Magnum Loads in 00 Buck. And it was at indoor range then and all they had were 3" shells. And what was ironic was that I took my 2nd brother for the first time to shoot a 12 ga. I warned him about the 3" shells and instructed him that if it is too much for him to handle, to let me know so I can continue for him. But guess what? He pulled through and he loved it!!! I guess karate class that he used to take many years ago, toughened him up. And he is also has a much larger frame than me. That explains why 3" shells meant nothing to him, although he did agreed that they are the most punishing rounds he has ever fired in his experience firing with my guns.

Quote Originally Posted by Jason Storm View Post
    Ooh!!! The most punishing loads I have ever fired for the first time were 3" Magnum Loads in 00 Buck. And it was at indoor range then and all they had were 3" shells. And what was ironic was that I took my 2nd brother for the first time to shoot a 12 ga. I warned him about the 3" shells and instructed him that if it is too much for him to handle, to let me know so I can continue for him. But guess what? He pulled through and he loved it!!! I guess karate class that he used to take many years ago, toughened him up. And he is also has a much larger frame than me. That explains why 3" shells meant nothing to him, although he did agreed that they are the most punishing rounds he has ever fired in his experience firing with my guns.
    I have a strange desire to pick up some 3" slug and 00 buck shells....
    Glock 19
    Kahr PM9
    LMT-M4
    Mossberg 590
    Shodan, Jujutsu

Distinguished Member Array bladenbullet's Avatar
    I have a strange desire to pick up some 3" slug and 00 buck shells....
    the desire will subside after your shoulder turns black and blue...i was testing a maverick 88 i sawed off for function a couple of weeks ago and rapid fired multiple slugs and buckshot loads...while i was firing it was fun...later as i was packing the gun reality set in...light gun...big recoil...

it was worth every shot....

the desire will subside after your shoulder turns black and blue...
    luckily I rarely ever show any bruising
    Glock 19
    Kahr PM9
    LMT-M4
    Mossberg 590
    Shodan, Jujutsu

My friend, purchase a quality aftermarket buttstock recoil pad, use a padded shooting shirt or a padded shoulder insert, and put a set of "Ghost Rings" on that piece & shoot all day. My 590 will hold 6 inch groups or smaller at 100 yards with rifled slugs....not bad for the standard factory smooth bore.

Quote Originally Posted by tkirk View Post
    My friend, purchase a quality aftermarket buttstock recoil pad, use a padded shooting shirt or a padded shoulder insert, and put a set of "Ghost Rings" on that piece & shoot all day. My 590 will hold 6 inch groups or smaller at 100 yards with rifled slugs....not bad for the standard factory smooth bore.
    My groups were pretty tight at 100 yards...they were just all 2 feet to the right, LOL
    Glock 19
    Kahr PM9
    LMT-M4
    Mossberg 590
    Shodan, Jujutsu

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Sponsored Links