My new Spikes Tactical AR

This is a discussion on My new Spikes Tactical AR within the Defensive Rifles & Shotgun Discussion forums, part of the Related Topics category; Garrett at X114 at least I am pretty sure it was Garrett was extremely helpful. We stripped it mostly down as you can see, because ...

Thread: My new Spikes Tactical AR

My new Spikes Tactical AR

Garrett at X114 at least I am pretty sure it was Garrett was extremely helpful.
    We stripped it mostly down as you can see, because I have some friends shipping me assorted other parts like a rail system, bipod, etc.

I am still looking for some decent optics. I am not sure if I want to drop 5-800 on optics just yet so if anyone has some cheaper options that have worked well, point me that direction.

If it's got a red dot and maybe some zoom that would be enough I think for now.

I will post feedback after a range outing.

photo.jpg

2. Remove Ads

Buy cheap, buy twice. My advice for a serious, defense-oriented (= tactical) AR is to find an Aimpoint H-1 for the best price you can, and mount it with a LaRue QD mount. You won't need the magnifier. After being sidelined for 8 months for health issues, I hit the range this week and from a crude rest I hit the 24" square gong at 200 yards 27 out of 28 times with the 4 MOA H-1. (The 300-yard gong was a little more elusive and I only hit it about 50% of the time, but that was strictly due to lack of recent experience [pilot error]).
    Smitty
    NRA Endowment Member

A lot of people say these are really nice
    http://www.vortexoptics.com/product/...-red-dot-scope

What do you guys think?

My opinion is to not buy anything until you've shot it a bunch. No rails, no bipod, no grips. If you are serious about shooting it, your first purchase needs to be ammo, your second should be a weapons-mounted light, and then you should buy a quality optic. IMO, Aimpoint Micros are the answer, due to battery life, lightness and durability.

EOTechs are still to hinky for me to trust, and with the Aimpoint, you can literally leave it on position 8 for five years and the battery will not run down.

It's what I run on my service weapon. BTW, I dropped my weapon on the Aimpoint today, and it did nothing but remove some of the finish from the top of the optic. No shift of zero, no damage to the scope.

I'd also start thinking about taking a shooting class to learn how to run your new carbine, once you've put 500 trouble free rounds or so through it.

I've been happy so far with this on my spikes. http://www.primaryarms.com/product.s...9&categoryId=5

I was thinking about this scope from Vortex. It doesn't have any night vision options, but it does have a lifetime warranty, I can get 2x magnification and since I am just starting out in this world of AR's it seems like having 150 dollar starting option seems good. Anyone own this or have feedback?
    http://www.vortexoptics.com/product/...scope-for-ar15

Quote Originally Posted by 120mm View Post
    My opinion is to not buy anything until you've shot it a bunch. No rails, no bipod, no grips. If you are serious about shooting it, your first purchase needs to be ammo, your second should be a weapons-mounted light, and then you should buy a quality optic. IMO, Aimpoint Micros are the answer, due to battery life, lightness and durability.

EOTechs are still to hinky for me to trust, and with the Aimpoint, you can literally leave it on position 8 for five years and the battery will not run down.

It's what I run on my service weapon. BTW, I dropped my weapon on the Aimpoint today, and it did nothing but remove some of the finish from the top of the optic. No shift of zero, no damage to the scope.

I'd also start thinking about taking a shooting class to learn how to run your new carbine, once you've put 500 trouble free rounds or so through it.
    I should have 1.5 k in FMJ and 500 in ballistic ammo. I plan on shooting this gun a bunch before I throw any optics on it, but I want to get the optics sooner rather than later, just in case.

Good on you, then.

Don't forget a quality carbine class as well.

I'd get an aimpoint. It's the last optic you'll ever buy for it.

Quote Originally Posted by Lanner View Post
    I was thinking about this scope from Vortex. It doesn't have any night vision options, but it does have a lifetime warranty, I can get 2x magnification and since I am just starting out in this world of AR's it seems like having 150 dollar starting option seems good. Anyone own this or have feedback?
    http://www.vortexoptics.com/product/...scope-for-ar15
    Do you even need NV capability?
    Seriously.

If you are just Joe Blow civilain citizen and are not G.I. Joe door kicker/chopper jumper....Then not having NV capability is something you won't even miss.
    My EOTech has NV being a LEO/MIL unit and not once in a decade have I ever had occasion never mind NV equipment ability to use it. Unnecessary...so why pay extra for that?
    In my case I did not as the unit was given to me no cost, and never would I have paid my own money for it muchless NV capability.

Another item that I personally am not for is paying $200 to $300 premium above retail just so that you can have an Aimpoint that allows you to leave the device on constantly and not touch the battery for fill in the blank years.
    Seriously...Honestly, who leaves their gear on constantly and if so why? If you aren't say again a G.I. Joe, or C.O.B.R.A. constantly making contact with threats ('tangos').
    Not even police (regular) need this for their car mounted longguns, never mind be able to justify such expense.

For HD and/or gun games (3-Gun/Multi-Gun) how hard is it to hit a button or turn a dial three clicks (0 to 3) at time you put hand to the gun to make use of it?
    With gun game use just turn it on that morning and forget about it until you roll home, then t that turn it off.
    The cost in batterys to equate to the $200-$300 you might otherwise spend on say an Aimpoint H1/R1/T1 is equal to all of your local Radio Shacks stock...And they charge straight retail.

Not to knock Aimpoint...Or EOTech...Or Trijicon or whomever else folk might already own, but at the end of the day ask yourself; Do I really need these features and if so why?
    Does the sight need to be waterproof to 80 feet? When will you find yourself under water 80 ft....And if so is the function of your guns sight going to be of primary concern to you?...And what/who exactly would you need to defend yourself against while underwater 80 ft.?
    Seriously. Click here and note the details on that; http://www.aimpoint.com/products/aim...oint_micro_t-1

If you are not a Navy SEAL or happen to be Aquaman, then why pay the premium for a feature set you effectively will never have occasion to make use of.
    To those who might say what if I drop the gun in a stream or my local lake; Ain't no stream 80' deep and if you drop it in a lake beyond reach down nd grab it up distance well then sorry but that whole gun is gone...Even as your sight might stay active like the head of a Terminator.

As to knock around fall & bang without losing zero...Now days many mfrs. have this ability as it is no longer the unique feature set of Aimpoint/Trijicon/EOTech/$$$. It was fifteen years ago when these .MIL technologies were new and burgeoning...But are not the case today with current gear, that is of lesser cost but still very much quality.

There are folks running around with carbines that in total dollar cost are same price as used car or even a new quad or low end motorcycle.
    For why I ask?
    Looks and bragging rights? Okay. If that floats yer boat.
    But don't say it's absolutely necessary because anything lesser is non-functional waste of coin junk. It's just not true.
    Nevermind that one can run simply irons, and be functional (!).

$0.02 Street

- Janq is frugal by nature, and practical by mindset

P.S. - According to Google Shopping the CR2032 battery that the Aimpoint H1/R1/T1 uses can be had for as little as $0.39 cents; http://www.google.com/search?q=CR2032
    So again to my view whats all the talk about leaving it on for years. I keep a three pack of these in my range kit, along with batts for everything else, and in total they cost me less than $10.
    "Killers who are not deterred by laws against murder are not going to be deterred by laws against guns. " - Robert A. Levy

"A license to carry a concealed weapon does not make you a free-lance policeman." - Florida Div. of Licensing

Lanner, you might find this review helpful....

http://www.defensivecarry.com/vbulle...t-Clone-review
    "He who does not punish evil commands it to be done." - Leonardo da Vinci

Oh and congrats on the new Spikes!!!
    "He who does not punish evil commands it to be done." - Leonardo da Vinci

I put the Primary Arms Microdot on my Spikes AR and am very happy with the decision. I have no intentions of ever being on a 2-way range with this rifle so I couldn't justify the extra cost for the equivalent, battle tested, Aimpoint.

The cost savings will eventually be converted to ammunition which, over time, will be converted to empty brass.

Oh yeah!!!! Nice rifle....as I said in my Spike's thread, Garrett is the man....excellent customer service. I've got 700 flawless rounds through mine now. Happy shooting!

Quote Originally Posted by Janq View Post
    Do you even need NV capability?
    Seriously.
    <snip>
    There are folks running around with carbines that in total dollar cost are same price as used car or even a new quad or low end motorcycle.
    For why I ask?
    Looks and bragging rights? Okay. If that floats yer boat.
    But don't say it's absolutely necessary because anything lesser is non-functional waste of coin junk. It's just not true.
    Nevermind that one can run simply irons, and be functional (!).

$0.02 Street

- Janq is frugal by nature, and practical by mindset

P.S. - According to Google Shopping the CR2032 battery that the Aimpoint H1/R1/T1 uses can be had for as little as $0.39 cents; http://www.google.com/search?q=CR2032
    So again to my view whats all the talk about leaving it on for years. I keep a three pack of these in my range kit, along with batts for everything else, and in total they cost me less than $10.
    I like Janq.

The only exception I take is on the "leaving it on for years" thing. If you're going to run a red dot on a defensive gun, this is an advantage. Not having to turn on and adjust the rheostat is worth it for me.

In fact, for self defense guns, I recommend getting a good light long before getting an RDS. Bore sight the light and you should be good to go.

Links