My soon to be AK-47

This is a discussion on My soon to be AK-47 within the Defensive Rifles & Shotgun Discussion forums, part of the Related Topics category; Ok so you all remember a few weeks back when i asked for an inexpensive AK? I found one for 445 brand new, its a ...

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: My soon to be AK-47

Distinguished Member Array INccwchris's Avatar

My soon to be AK-47

Ok so you all remember a few weeks back when i asked for an inexpensive AK? I found one for 445 brand new, its a Romanian with wood furniture and it has the classic rattle all AK's should. My next question is, the gun shop also has two norinco's with the stock/grip fused instead of the stock then a thin pistol grip. Which is better, a Romanian, or a Norinco?
    "The value you put on the lost will be determined by the sacrifice you are willing to make to seek them until they are found."

2. Remove Ads

Distinguished Member Array ErnieNWillis's Avatar
    Norinco.

Distinguished Member Array bladenbullet's Avatar
    mac 90.bmp by stock fused are you talking about a thumbhole stock mac 90?...probably one the more sought after ak47s....

clicky on the linky...i dont know what happened to the pic...

yes, thats what i was talking about, i just did not know what it was called
    "The value you put on the lost will be determined by the sacrifice you are willing to make to seek them until they are found."

Distinguished Member Array Gunnutty's Avatar
    Norinco is the better quality as has already been stated.
    We will be much better off when we learn to deal with things as they really are, instead of how we wish them to be!

although i have'nt been shopping for a while, 445 for a romanian sounds a bit high. Is that out the door taxes and etc included?
    "In those days, there was a lot more respect for other people and it showed in peoples values.... Today the word value means nothing more than something you get on the $1 menu at McDonald's." -BARK'N

If you want the MAC 90 to look like, well... to look like it's supposed to, you have to play the parts compliance game. The Romanian looks like an AK is supposed to as is. I just can't stand the bogus furniture look of the 90 and what it means, I'd change it just because if I owned it.
    Try not to screw up so bad they name the screw up after you. (Station 15 saying)

NRA Certifed Instructor

just for giggles, checked with my uncle in law who runs a gun store here in wa. WASR 10 romanian go for 389-400 at his shop in good-newish condition. Not too far off your price. How much for the norincos? My source said they are much better quality , but he never has any in stock for a reason.
    "In those days, there was a lot more respect for other people and it showed in peoples values.... Today the word value means nothing more than something you get on the $1 menu at McDonald's." -BARK'N

550ish for one with wood furniture, i like the traditional look of the Romanian better than the norinco but i want quality

Yes...Norinco. Back in the days..........when I had a Russian SKS and was looking for something (more modular?)........I remember the MAK-90s at gun shows. They actually came in 7.62 and .223. The later appeared once most of the 7.62s were gone and harder to find. Norinco has always seemed to be the better quality and this includes their introduction of their 1911A1 model pistol as well in the early 90's. If you can find an unadulterated Norinco these days, it's a good buy IMO. The thumb hole stock really shouldn't bother you unless you just want to get the look of an AK just for the look of an AK. I rather like my thumb hole stock AK, and see no need to change. My AK doesn't rattle BTW. If it says Bulgarian, or Norinco, I don't think you can go wrong. The quality AKs keep getting harder to find, and what's available on the market these days will never be the same for sure. $550 you'll be paying for good quality. After all...........what's tradition? A silhouette or an outline won't scare them or lay down a field of fire.....a quality AK will no matter what it looks like. Looks go out the window with reliability and functionality. I've never actually bought something for looks alone, and many times I've suppressed the urge to jump on something simply because it was there when the depths of my wallet were shallow. Things pay off in the long run believe me. Good luck on your decision.

I'd go with the Norinco, it's better quality.

But, at the same times, sometimes people bash the Romanians. I've had a WASR for something like 7 years now, and never had an issue with it, reliability wise it has been perfect with all types of ammo, and it is about as accurate as I would expect and AK to be.
    Fortes Fortuna Juvat

Former, USMC 0311, OIF/OEF vet
    NRA Pistol/Rifle/Shotgun/Reloading Instructor, RSO, Ohio CHL Instructor

VIP Member
    The Romanian will have a 1mm receiver and the Mak a 1.6 I think. The Mak is a much better gun.

The Mak is the base gun for many an upgraded AK build including mine. Get one and get a stock set and you will be on your way.
    "A first rate man with a third rate gun is far better than the other way around". The gun is a tool, you are the craftsman that makes it work. There are those who say "if I had to do it, I could" yet they never go out and train to do it. Don't let stupid be your mindset. Harryball 2013

For a "C" note difference, I would get the Norinco, but I am partial to them.
    The Norinco will also have a 1.5 mm thick receiver, rather than the 1.0 mm that I believe the Romanian has. The Norinco is a double hook, which can be changed to single hook if you desire. The Romanian is most likely single hook.
    "I do what I do." Cpl 'coach' Bowden, "Southern Comfort".

Senior Moderator
    Norincos are gonzo...kaput...no more.

Bubba Clinton banned them from import back when he was the President.
    The Chinese apparently didnt donate enough to his campaign and after he gave them military secrets he needed to look like he drew a hard line in the sand with them so he banned AK's...but only from China. Thats why you see Romaks,Yugo's,Bulgys,Maddi's and stuff from Europe.

The ones that are here came in by the bunches back in the day. If you can find one get it. The reason that they are hard to get is because most people keep them.
    The further a society drifts from the truth, the more it will hate those that speak it...- George Orwell

AR. CHL Instr. 07/02 FFL
    Like custom guns and stuff? Check this out...
    http://bobbailey1959.wordpress.com/

Here's one possibility, set up as a support weapon.
    Attached Images
    "I do what I do." Cpl 'coach' Bowden, "Southern Comfort".

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Links