Stag vs. S&W MP15

This is a discussion on Stag vs. S&W MP15 within the Defensive Rifles & Shotgun Discussion forums, part of the Related Topics category; Stag vs. S&W MP15 Both of these are in the same price range, my price range. Given the choice between these two, which would you ...

Thread: Stag vs. S&W MP15

Stag vs. S&W MP15

Stag vs. S&W MP15

Both of these are in the same price range, my price range.

Given the choice between these two, which would you choose and why?

I know that the first thing everybody is going to want to know is “What will it be used for?” Well, it will be pretty much a general purpose weapon. It will be my first AR style rifle and I will be using it for range use, plinking in the field, SHTF and anything in between. Being my first, it will also be a “test” of what I do and do not like/want for a larger caliber AR that will be used for hunting (6.5, 6.8 or .308).

Any input would be appreciated.

Thanks.

2. Remove Ads

Do you have any specific models in mind? Or features that you want in an AR?

Some things I prefer:
    5.56x45mm chamber (as opposed to .223 Rem)
    Chrome lined chamber and barrel
    flat top receiver
    rail system
    collapsible stock

But both companies have several models, so if you have specific ones in mind that would help offer input.
    Fortes Fortuna Juvat

Former, USMC 0311, OIF/OEF vet
    NRA Pistol/Rifle/Shotgun/Reloading Instructor, RSO, Ohio CHL Instructor

VIP Member
    With the Smith you will be limited to what models they build the Stag will allow you to get a little more custom features.
    "A first rate man with a third rate gun is far better than the other way around". The gun is a tool, you are the craftsman that makes it work. There are those who say "if I had to do it, I could" yet they never go out and train to do it. Don't let stupid be your mindset. Harryball 2013

have you looked at Spikes Tactical. I found their AR's to be cheaper and made with better quality. They also have a lifetime warranty. At least worth a look.

Distinguished Member Array LanceORYGUN's Avatar
    These brands are both overrated.

Rock River is the AR that you want to own:

http://www.rockriverarms.com/

They are one of the very few manufacturers to offer 1 MOA and even 3/4 MOA accuracy guarantees.

If it is going to be a general purpose gun, then I would recommend getting either an 18" or 20" barrel. Avoid getting too heavy of a configuration for the rifle also.

A 1:9 twist rate is also the most versatile, when it comes to shooting a wide range of bullet weights. Avoid shorter or longer twist rates on the barrel.

Quote Originally Posted by LanceORYGUN View Post
    These brands are both overrated.

Rock River is the AR that you want to own:

http://www.rockriverarms.com/

They are one of the very few manufacturers to offer 1 MOA and even 3/4 MOA accuracy guarantees.

If it is going to be a general purpose gun, then I would recommend getting either an 18" or 20" barrel. Avoid getting too heavy of a configuration for the rifle also.

A 1:9 twist rate is also the most versatile, when it comes to shooting a wide range of bullet weights. Avoid shorter or longer twist rates on the barrel.

Never mind they use a suboptimal twist, substandard barrel steel, substandard bolt steel, extractor, and may or may not come properly assembled. And never mind that they do little to no QA/QC testing.

Of course, I can go 3/4-1 moa with a #2 pencil, but if you want an AR that is built correctly, either Spike's or S&W will do the trick. Barring that, save up some more money and get a Colt, BCM, Daniel Defense, Noveske or LMT.

People who don't shoot much LOVE RRA.

Quote Originally Posted by 120mm View Post
    Never mind they use a suboptimal twist, substandard barrel steel, substandard bolt steel, extractor, and may or may not come properly assembled. And never mind that they do little to no QA/QC testing.

Of course, I can go 3/4-1 moa with a #2 pencil, but if you want an AR that is built correctly, either Spike's or S&W will do the trick. Barring that, save up some more money and get a Colt, BCM, Daniel Defense, Noveske or LMT.

People who don't shoot much LOVE RRA.
    Is it just that you don't like RRA, or can't you afford one? It seems like you get to express your views, what's wrong with folks expressing what they like? I"m not sure how old you are, but it's possible that several of us were shooting, or bought AR-15's before you were out of grade school. You made your point, it's about time you let others have a right to their own opinion, without you getting your panties in a twist over it. Have you ever considered the fact that you're not the only one to serve in a foreign land? That provides no special licenses.
    NRA Life Member ... Marine Corps League Life Member
    Freedom has a flavor the protected can never taste...
    USMC 8652, 2531, RVN Jun '67, - May 69

Some of my toys....

Distinguished Member Array pirate's Avatar
    S&W and Stag are second tier AR's below the high end serious rifles by makers like Noveske, LMT, Daniel Defense and BCM. Rock River is on the upper end of the lower tier hobbie rifles, slight better than DPMS, Olympic and Bushmaster..........I also agree that you should look very closely at the rifles made by Spikes. Very high quality for the price point. If all you want to do is punch paper and plink any of these AR's will do. If you want a serious combat rifle get one of the high end rifles.

You may want to look at the "infamous Chart" It does provide some good baseline info for AR shoppers.

http://spreadsheets.google.com/pub?k...=5&output=html
    When I leave the home port:
    S&W 642 Airweight, Ruger SP 101, Colt Detective Spec., CZ RAMI, Kahr PM9, Kahr CW40, S&W Model 10-7, Glock 30, 19, and 26, Browning Hi Power, CZ82, Colt Commander, Dan Wesson PM7, Ruger LCP

OP, between the two you are looking @ I'd go S&W.

But what do I know, I own a Olympic Arms.......
    Last edited by Frogbones; December 2nd, 2010 at 09:52 AM. Reason: hit the submit button early

S&W of the two, but for a little more you can get a DD or BCM upper and slap it on your own lower.

Even though I did own S&W MP 15 and did have problems with it. I still will recommend it over the Stag.

hey guys, try to keep it on topic. OP asked what of the two he mentioned you'd buy. The post didn't seem to ask what you own, or why you hate stag or smith. Try to do the guy a favor and answer his question, not start a flame war.

OP - you'll find everyone has an opinion on what the best AR is, 95% with not a hell of a lot to back it up. Of the two you bought, buy what feels better, balances better, weighs better, and has the better features. If it were me, I'd buy the S&W. They had a flat top upper that caught my eye a while back. Light weight, nice rail system with BUIS. Almost took it home.

I have an M&P15R (chambered in 5.45x39) that is an excellent shooter. Actually the M&P15 was made by Stag in the beginning before S&W brought it in house. I have two brothers who have Stags, and they like them a lot. I don't think you can go wrong with either of them.
    Slow scopes, fast cars.
    'Chance favors the prepared mind' - Louis Pasteur

Quote Originally Posted by usmcj View Post
    Is it just that you don't like RRA, or can't you afford one? It seems like you get to express your views, what's wrong with folks expressing what they like? I"m not sure how old you are, but it's possible that several of us were shooting, or bought AR-15's before you were out of grade school. You made your point, it's about time you let others have a right to their own opinion, without you getting your panties in a twist over it. Have you ever considered the fact that you're not the only one to serve in a foreign land? That provides no special licenses.
    These are not "my views". I am stating fairly objective and established facts. RRA does not build their carbines to meet/match even the minimum military specifications. That is a fact. The rest of your post is a personal attack, which is completely unwarranted here.

On a semi-humorous note: No, I cannot afford to buy an RRA, or any product that requires fixing and upgrades new, out of the box. It's a case of buy once, cry once, I'm afraid.

Quote Originally Posted by pirate View Post
    S&W and Stag are second tier AR's below the high end serious rifles by makers like Noveske, LMT, Daniel Defense and BCM. Rock River is on the upper end of the lower tier hobbie rifles, slight better than DPMS, Olympic and Bushmaster..........I also agree that you should look very closely at the rifles made by Spikes. Very high quality for the price point. If all you want to do is punch paper and plink any of these AR's will do. If you want a serious combat rifle get one of the high end rifles.

You may want to look at the "infamous Chart" It does provide some good baseline info for AR shoppers.

http://spreadsheets.google.com/pub?k...=5&output=html
    This guy is 100% correct. You'll see that of your choice of Spike's and S&W, you really cannot go wrong. Though I will lean toward Spike's for personal reasons.

Quote Originally Posted by tommyp View Post
    hey guys, try to keep it on topic. OP asked what of the two he mentioned you'd buy. The post didn't seem to ask what you own, or why you hate stag or smith. Try to do the guy a favor and answer his question, not start a flame war.

OP - you'll find everyone has an opinion on what the best AR is, 95% with not a hell of a lot to back it up. Of the two you bought, buy what feels better, balances better, weighs better, and has the better features. If it were me, I'd buy the S&W. They had a flat top upper that caught my eye a while back. Light weight, nice rail system with BUIS. Almost took it home.
    So, when someone posts extremely erroneous and unsubstantiated information, we are to let it stand and not question it/point it out? Seems to me you are not forum king.

Both Spike's and S&W started out building a half-baked AR product, but rapidly improved it to the point where they are nearly indistinguishable, quality wise. (And that's good!) One of my hopes is that companies like DPMS, Bushmaster, RRA and Stag would wise up and do the same, but instead they are making tons of cash off uninformed gun buyers who are willing to buy substandard product.

Links