Rails for an M4

This is a discussion on Rails for an M4 within the Defensive Rifles & Shotgun Discussion forums, part of the Related Topics category; Originally Posted by rmilchman Ram Rod, which bi-pod is that? Harris. Series 1A2 model BR. At it's lowest setting....

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Rails for an M4

Quote Originally Posted by rmilchman View Post
    Ram Rod, which bi-pod is that?
    Harris. Series 1A2 model BR.
    At it's lowest setting.

2. Remove Ads

PICS!! I luv pics... Nice one Ram Rod.

Yes, that bipod is excellent...I have the same one. Also the Tactical charging handle in is his pic is awesome too. Got one myself, and will have one on my next AR15.

Lead Moderator
    The only problems I have noticed with lower cost rail systems
    1. rails were slightly out of spec.
    2. the locking ring came loose a few times.
    This was a Yankee Hill FF quad rail. I was nice a solidly built though. Since them I have gone to Magpul MOE HG's and stock. Much lighter and still maintains some mounting options.
    "In matters of style, swim with the current; in matters of principle, stand like a rock." Thomas Jefferson

Nemo Me Impune Lacesset

I bought a RRA with a Quadrail,Somebody ordered 2 about 6 years ago and the guy didn't have the money when they showed up so I got it for what the dealer cost was.I personally don't like it,I mounted an Eotech sight and the only thing on the quad is a vertical grip cause its too big in diameter for a decent grip IMHO with rail covers
    "Outside of the killings, Washington has one of the lowest crime rates in the country,"
    --Mayor Marion Barry, Washington , DC .

Quote Originally Posted by dukalmighty View Post
    I bought a RRA with a Quadrail,Somebody ordered 2 about 6 years ago and the guy didn't have the money when they showed up so I got it for what the dealer cost was.I personally don't like it,I mounted an Eotech sight and the only thing on the quad is a vertical grip cause its too big in diameter for a decent grip IMHO with rail covers
    Actually, you hit on one of my big beefs with rails - most of them are "user hostile" without a VFG. Absent the VFG, the forend is too dang fat for most hands to get around.

Pat Rogers (EAG Tactical) trains mostly pros but a lot of his classes are open to legal but motivated "average Joes/Josephines." Lots of folks in that latter category show up with chest rigs and drop holsters, but Pat's thing is "train with what you'll use." For me, that's a standard forend on my two 16" middy carbines. For close-in work, the support hand grabs the front of the mag well and mag - giving up little if anything to a VFG.

I just recently decided in favor of a white light on the carbine that's always at hand, but I really don't want to invest in rails. Still checking out bayonet mounts and other options for the light.
    Smitty
    NRA Endowment Member

Quote Originally Posted by gasmitty View Post
    Actually, you hit on one of my big beefs with rails - most of them are "user hostile" without a VFG. Absent the VFG, the forend is too dang fat for most hands to get around.

Pat Rogers (EAG Tactical) trains mostly pros but a lot of his classes are open to legal but motivated "average Joes/Josephines." Lots of folks in that latter category show up with chest rigs and drop holsters, but Pat's thing is "train with what you'll use." For me, that's a standard forend on my two 16" middy carbines. For close-in work, the support hand grabs the front of the mag well and mag - giving up little if anything to a VFG.

I just recently decided in favor of a white light on the carbine that's always at hand, but I really don't want to invest in rails. Still checking out bayonet mounts and other options for the light.
    Really, unless you are planning on mounting extra hardware, and using a vfg, rails can be a detriment IMO. Now, I have had a VFG on my service rifle the past 3 years, so I have my personal m-4 set up with a similiar vfg and light set up to what I have used and trained with, just to keep the "learning curve" as low as possible. I guess some people get rails because it is what the "pros" use, and for no other reason. But if you don't need them, stick with a hand guard that is easier to hold properly, and reduces weight and saves money.

Gasmitty, just as a note, I have seen someone cause a jam holding a rifle my the mag/mag well, because they were using a lot more mag than magwell, just something to keep in mind. But if that is how you train, that is how you train. VFG's can be quite handy, especially for cqb work, but it is personal preference. And I can do somethings with a VFG that are much harder without.

I have Midwest industry rails on my M-4, they are solid, mid priced, and do the job well. My work rifle has knight's armament rails, which are closer to top of the line. Really I think if I didn't have MI rails on mine already, I'd probably give Magpul's MOE handguards a try, as pretty much every Magpul part I have used has been a solid performer.
    Fortes Fortuna Juvat

Former, USMC 0311, OIF/OEF vet
    NRA Pistol/Rifle/Shotgun/Reloading Instructor, RSO, Ohio CHL Instructor

VIP Member
    Well you get what you pay for in rail systems.

Many folks get long quad rails and only use 1/4 of the space. Try to decide first what you want to mount and then decide how much rail space you will need.
    Consider also instead of a full rail system there are kits that you can add small sections of rail to the stock forearm to mount just what you want. This method does not add much weight or bulk to the rifle but still allows you to mount what you need. You also have the option now of half rails like on Rock River Operator models. Half of the rail is simply a round handguard and the front half is a quad rail it tends to be lighter but you still have all the rail you need.

Although I do not tend to mount a lot on my rifles I chose a Knight quad rail system. Please keep in mind I had certain requirments that are going into the build and this is what met those requirments.
    This is a rifle length rail system that covers a carbine length gas system and encloses the gas block. This rail also acts as the barrel nut so the barrel is completely free floated. Even though this is a rifle length system it is lighter than most carbine length rails and it also aids in cooling the rifle. The front sight is also built into the rail itself so no need for a seperate unit.
    The rails construction also converts the upper into one monolithic rail so there is no gap between the upper receiver and the beginning of the handguard rail.

"A first rate man with a third rate gun is far better than the other way around". The gun is a tool, you are the craftsman that makes it work. There are those who say "if I had to do it, I could" yet they never go out and train to do it. Don't let stupid be your mindset. Harryball 2013

Thanks for all of the replies. I decided to purchase a UTG MTU-001. I understand that a floating rail may perform better, but based on my use and the difficulty level of installation of a floating rail I think I made the right choice for my application.

Thanks again.

Quote Originally Posted by rmilchman View Post
    Thanks for all of the replies. I decided to purchase a UTG MTU-001. I understand that a floating rail may perform better, but based on my use and the difficulty level of installation of a floating rail I think I made the right choice for my application.

Thanks again.

I think you would be much better off with a mgpul MOE than chinese airsoft rails.

Quote Originally Posted by Frogbones View Post
    PICS!! I luv pics... Nice one Ram Rod.

Yes, that bipod is excellent...I have the same one. Also the Tactical charging handle in is his pic is awesome too. Got one myself, and will have one on my next AR15.

I have the same or similar tac latch on mine if you look closely at the pic. This is for my flat top and scope mount. Handy to say the least.

Quote Originally Posted by Texag View Post
    I think you would be much better off with a mgpul MOE than chinese airsoft rails.
    There seems to be a lot of people who are happy with these rails, and I have ordered them. Why would you call them airsoft rails?

They are not Airsoft rails. UTG is in the air soft market and do make certain railsystems for air soft guns. But the ones I and others have purchased are very much made for firearms. The material is strong, the rails have nice deep valleys and to hold nice and tight whatever gear you wish to install.

You wouldn't see the great reviews about people installing them on Spikes-Armalites, bushmasters, etc.etc. if they were airsoft rails.
    Last edited by Frogbones; December 8th, 2010 at 09:40 AM. Reason: added stuff

Distinguished Member Array kapnketel's Avatar
    I always thought UTG was airsoft only, learn something new everyday. My father always says "you don't have to explain your hobbies" so if UTG works for you then you are good to go.

Back to the original question, I have a Daniel Defense Omega Rail system (mid-length) on my Bushy, very pleased with it. I find it is narrower than some rails which I like.
    I'd rather be lucky than good any day

There's nothing that will change someone's moral outlook quicker than cash in large sums.

Majority rule only works if you're also considering individual rights. Because you can't have five wolves and one sheep voting on what to have for supper.

Quote Originally Posted by Frogbones View Post
    They are not Airsoft rails. UTG is in the air soft market and do make certain railsystems for air soft guns. But the ones I and others have purchased are very much made for firearms. The material is strong, the rails have nice deep valleys and to hold nice and tight whatever gear you wish to install.

You wouldn't see the great reviews about people installing them on Spikes-Armalites, bushmasters, etc.etc. if they were airsoft rails.
    I see reviews all the time. A lot of them are written by idiots that bought some POS part or gun, shot 50 rounds through it from a bench at the range, and declared it the best ever. You have no idea what the frame of reference for these people are. You have no idea what kind of shooter they are or what experience or technical background they have. There are sites you can go to to get consistent evaluations from people that know what they're talking about, but most of the time this site or barfcom aint it.

It stands to reason that when mid-level drop in rails cost $100+ one that costs $50 isn't gonna be that great. When that $50 rail is made by the airsoft branch of leapers it doesn't exactly instill confidence.

OK.........

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Links