Putting a Magpul sling on my Spikes AR

This is a discussion on Putting a Magpul sling on my Spikes AR within the Defensive Rifles & Shotgun Discussion forums, part of the Related Topics category; So I have a front attachment point, but it looks like to get the rear attachment point you have to take off the stock? and ...

Thread: Putting a Magpul sling on my Spikes AR

Putting a Magpul sling on my Spikes AR

So I have a front attachment point, but it looks like to get the rear attachment point you have to take off the stock? and then install another part from Magpul.

I am gonna link the two things I "think" I need to buy to get the sling to work. I just discovered that it's a pai

Would this give me the rear sling point?:
    http://store.magpul.com/product/MAG500/53

and then this sling:
    http://store.magpul.com/product/MAG501/120

Also any advice on a decent, relatively cheap soft carry bag with some room for Ammo and Mags? Carrying this giant hardcase around is simply impractical and kinda ridiculous.

The gun shot like a dream though. Beautiful. Can't wait to hit the range again next weekend.

2. Remove Ads

Yes, in order to mount the sling correctly you will need a mounting point like the one you linked above. I use the ASAP mount with my single point, and like it. Does your AR have a fixed buttstock, or a collapsible on? Getting the part on a collapsible isn't usually too hard.
    Fortes Fortuna Juvat

Former, USMC 0311, OIF/OEF vet
    NRA Pistol/Rifle/Shotgun/Reloading Instructor, RSO, Ohio CHL Instructor

VIP Member
    As buckeye stated that mount will give you the ability to use the rifle correctly with a single point sling. You still will have to remove the entire stock to mount the plate. Be very careful when you remove the plate as there is a small spring underneath it that works with the selector lever don't lose it.
    There is also a similar mount that has two halves that you do not have to remove the stock to use. I don't remember if it has the center attachment point or just one on each side.
    "A first rate man with a third rate gun is far better than the other way around". The gun is a tool, you are the craftsman that makes it work. There are those who say "if I had to do it, I could" yet they never go out and train to do it. Don't let stupid be your mindset. Harryball 2013

If your mind is made up, then don't read further, but are you sure you want a single-point sling? They're about the best thing going if you're getting in and out of vehicles a lot, but for routine carry and training, the 2-point sling (such as the VTAC or Blue Force Gear) gives you a wider range of utility.
    Smitty
    NRA Endowment Member

No I am not set on any set of slings.

Currently My AR has one sling point, a attachment at the front of the rifle underneath the front iron sights.

I would love to have links to anyone suggestions and feedback on better sling options and also a soft carry bag.

"He who does not punish evil commands it to be done." - Leonardo da Vinci

I had my ASAP put on at my LGS for $10 bucks. A lot cheaper than buying a wrench.

And BTW, if you use the ASAP, and decide to do-it-yourself, you'll need the wrench.
    Don't believe what you hear and only half of what you see!
    -Tony Soprano

While you have that stock off, tap the first 1/8 inch of the detent spring hole and screw a set screw in it.. spring will never fly away again. I do it to all my builds.
    Peace is that brief, glorious moment in history, when everybody stands around reloading.

Quote Originally Posted by DaRedneck View Post
    will that second link work on my spikes tactical AR? I mean I am probably going to have to do this myself, the local gun stores around here kinda suck.

If your carbine already has a front sling swivel, such as under the gas block/front sight, it's simplest just to use that for either the VTAC "standard" or LaRue slings.
    Smitty
    NRA Endowment Member

I guess since you are open to other options, the question I have is what are you trying to get out of your sling? Do you just want a way to carry the rifle easier, or something that can enhance your shooting. What kinds of roles is this rifle filling for you?
    Fortes Fortuna Juvat

Former, USMC 0311, OIF/OEF vet
    NRA Pistol/Rifle/Shotgun/Reloading Instructor, RSO, Ohio CHL Instructor

I've got an MS2 sling on my BCM. It didn't take me playing with it for too long before I put a sling mount point on the front side (I don't like the FSB sling point) and started using the MS2 as a two point sling.

I primarily want the sling to make carrying easier, as right now it's a serious issue, but I would like the ability that if SHTF and I was carrying it all the time it would be comfortable.

So I guess it's primarily for carrying, not for stabilization of shots. I would like to be able to comfortable hang it in front of me or at my side as I walk and if I could have it so that it provided some extra stabilization and support during shooting I would only consider that a bonus.

The Magpul single point sling can also be used as a 2-point sling if you have a forward attachment point.

Links