Some tips for New Shotgun Guru

This is a discussion on Some tips for New Shotgun Guru within the Defensive Rifles & Shotgun Discussion forums, part of the Related Topics category; The largest shotgun site on the web is www.shotgunworld.com I'm a believer in the KISS principle....

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Some tips for New Shotgun Guru

The largest shotgun site on the web is www.shotgunworld.com

I'm a believer in the KISS principle.
    MNBurl

"If everyone is thinking alike, then somebody isn't thinking" - George S. Patton.

2. Remove Ads

First thing I would do is go to Walmart and buy a few value packs of #7 1/2 birdshot and "get to know the gun".

Second, I don't "clear my house". If I know someone;s in my house, I set up a defensive position and call 911. (I let the professionals do it, that's why I pay taxes.)

The only things I consider to be "must haves" on my HD shotgun are a source for extra shells and a mounted light.
    Don't believe what you hear and only half of what you see!
    -Tony Soprano

Cool

P26094308.jpg

P26093812.jpg

1973 Remington 870 Wingmaster with brushed nickle finish, poly choke, pro ported, side saddle, synthetic stock and fore end and tactical sling. For me this is keeping it simple.
    Last edited by Old School; December 27th, 2010 at 10:39 AM.
    "Violence is seldom the answer, but when it is the answer it is the only answer".

"A nation of sheep breeds a government of wolves".

http://www.woundedwarriorproject.org/

Bravo!!

That I like and is all I'm looking into for upgrades!
    You never see a motorcycle parked ouside a psychiatrist's office!

First off, any accessory you put on the gun should be thought out and practical. Then, you have to understand how it changes the weapon and you should ensure it is not going to be cumbersome. That means, you need to shoot the darn thing.

I have a Mossberg 590 A1 shotgun. I have a Meprolight tritium bead sight. I have an Eagle Industries stock mounted six round carrier which is sturdy and easily removable. I also have a six round side saddle. It is mounted without modification and is also removable. I keep six slugs in the side saddle for quick access to slugs if needed which can be loaded individually without dismounting the gun from my shoulder. Eight rounds of buckshot in the magazine, six spare buckshot in the Eagle buttstock carrier and six slugs. That's 20 rounds mounted in and on the gun. If I'm going to pull out the howitzer, I want to be able to finish the job with it, and not have to transition to my handgun because I ran out of ammo.

At home and for self defense mode, I prefer to not have the sling attached. Less things to snag on something in a CQB situation. However for use in the field, I can attach the sling in a jiffy. I have used this set up in two combat shotgun classes. I have no problem with any of the drills or shooting positions using this set up. One hand shooting with strong or weak side and switching sides between shots. You have to know and work with your weapon so you know if something you add will work or be a hindrance. What works for one guy, may not work for the next guy.

As far as bandoleers go, I have a 56 round bandoleer loaded with buckshot, and slugs. The purpose for that is so I can keep all my defensive rounds with my gun should I need to evacuate my home quickly because of some civil unrest, disaster or some other reason. I don't like handling fragile and flimsy retail boxes. You toss them around in a gear bag and they have a tendency to come apart and then you have shotgun rounds all over the place. I can toss my shotgun, bandoleer and other stuff in a gear bag/load out bag and toss that thing in and out of the truck all day long and everything stays secured just fine. And for the record, a bandoleer loaded down with 50 rounds of 12 ga. slung across your body doesn't move around that much. And not too hard to retrieve shells from. However, it is more cumbersome, fairly uncomfortable because the rounds dig into the side of your neck, so I don't sling it on my body Rambo style. I spent 10 years as a medic on a swat team and kept all my call out gear in one load out bag and this set up worked fine for me for many years. And the bandoleer keeps shells from being strung out all over the bottom of my gear bag getting damaged or lost.

I think my last accessory will be a mounted illumination weapon light. I don't like those after market set ups with the coiled wire which runs from the light to the activation switch. Again a snag hazard. So, I'll wait until I can afford the Surefire unit where the light is mounted as part of the fore end stock.

JMHO YMMV

-Bark'n
    Semper Fi

"The gun is the great equalizer... For it is the gun, that allows the meek to repel the monsters; Whom are bigger, stronger and without conscience, prey on those who without one, would surely perish."

Good advice, again! Thanks!!

I plan on getting out to do some shooting with her on Friday, since the weather here could get into the 40's. Also found a decent deal on the Magpul shotgun DVD and thought,....what the hell!
    You never see a motorcycle parked ouside a psychiatrist's office!

For a house gun setup try the California Comp. Works ammo holders at Brownells. You can keep several of the 4 rounders loaded and near the gun and clip them to your belt or your PJs at night, or secure them to a bookshelf in your room where you might plan to take cover. I personally prefer the four rounds to the six round ones, depends on your hands and training.
    Try not to screw up so bad they name the screw up after you. (Station 15 saying)

NRA Certifed Instructor

a few of the guys touched on what this guy preaches, (K.I.S.S.)
    spend some time reading what this guy talks about. it really makes sense.
    the hardest thing is for people to get that movie gun mentality out of there heads.
    the more crap you have on it the more snag hazards
    http://www.aiptactical.com/About.php

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Links