Some tips for New Shotgun Guru

This is a discussion on Some tips for New Shotgun Guru within the Defensive Rifles & Shotgun Discussion forums, part of the Related Topics category; Okay, so I picked up my new and lovely 870 Marine Magnum Police model the other day. I'm looking for recommendations on maybe a good ...

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Some tips for New Shotgun Guru

Okay, so I picked up my new and lovely 870 Marine Magnum Police model the other day.

I'm looking for recommendations on maybe a good shotgun forum & online retailers for accessories. Ebay a good source?

Not going to go crazy, but am interested in carrying a few extra rounds on her, such as the side saddle units to start with. Better to go with the receiver mounts or the stock mounted one? What's junk and what's the quality stuff?

Thanks in advance!!
    You never see a motorcycle parked ouside a psychiatrist's office!

Personally I just use the elastic shell holders that go on the buttstock, they are cheaper, add less weight to the weapon, require no permanent mods to the weapon, and still work. But that is just me. As far as receiver mounted or stock mounted, either one will change the way the shotgun handles, and if you mount a side saddle on the stock, and ever need to switch hands for some reason, you aren't going to be able to get a cheek weld at all.

What other accessories do you think you need? My HD shotguns all get the shell holder, a sling, and the ability to mount a light (I have 1 surefire I put on whichever one I am using), after that I call it good. I don't like to go overboard on HD shotgun accessorizing as much as I do M4gery accessorizing. Oh yeah, I also replace the stock mag tube follower with a high visibility one that won't bind up in the magazine tube.

Brownells is usually pretty good to deal with for gun parts.
    Fortes Fortuna Juvat

Former, USMC 0311, OIF/OEF vet
    NRA Pistol/Rifle/Shotgun/Reloading Instructor, RSO, Ohio CHL Instructor

Mesa Tactical makes the best sidesaddle. I'm a lefty and trust me, you don't want a rigid shell carrier on the buttstock. If you shoot it weak handed (which is the way every gun is to us leftys) you will break your face. I second Brownell's, they have what you need.
    Try not to screw up so bad they name the screw up after you. (Station 15 saying)

NRA Certifed Instructor

Thanks guys! The Mesa Tac looks like a winner!

I'm not about to start making this thing look like a Christmas tree, (or other's M4's ), just the side saddle and I like the large button safety that is on Wilson Combat's site.

My 870 came with a Butler Creek sling and has the swivels already mounted, but I'm a little undecided about that 2 point sling. Anyone have any experience with a single point sling on their shotty??

Kinda like the Speedfeed stock that has the regular shoulder stock, (not collapsible), WITH the pistol grip and holds 4 xtra rounds too. Does that extra grip make the recoil a little bit more controllable??

After that maybe a light and then done!

EBay is hit and miss, but I like the side saddles myself. Bolt on.

Distinguished Member
    How about a Backup Rack? Keeps the dust bunnies out.

http://www.the-backup.com/

Ebay is pretty anti-gun,they don't even allow magazine sells,after that dumass Cho bought some 22 mags for one of his guns there.
    I usually go with xtra shell carrier and a light on my Mossy 930
    "Outside of the killings, Washington has one of the lowest crime rates in the country,"
    --Mayor Marion Barry, Washington , DC .

Fastball,
    I do not like pistol grip stocks on shotguns, especially HD shotguns, other do and that's up to them.
    My 870 weighs ten pounds loaded. With that kind of weight, trying to hold the weapon level one handed with a pistol grip stock requires placing the butt of the stock in the arm pit. I find it uncomfortable and difficult to hold for long. With a standard stock, it is relatively easy to hold the weapon level one handed and maneuver it. Roatating the stock under the forearm is how this is accomplished. When would this be useful?
    When using the other hand for a flashlight.
    When a burglar surrenders so you have to call LE with the other hand.
    If you get hit in one hand or the other so you must manipulate and fire the weapon with one hand. JMO
    Here is a pic for illustration.
    Attached Images
    "I do what I do." Cpl 'coach' Bowden, "Southern Comfort".

Unless you are willing to invest in professional training (or have already done so), skip the sidesaddle and go with a short bandoleer that mounts onto your shotgun's sling, or use a separate waterfowler's bandoleer kept next to your gun. The motions required to use a sidesaddle ammo carrier quickly are far from intuitive.
    Smitty
    NRA Endowment Member
    NROI Chief Range Officer

K.i.s.s.
    Omo
    Last edited by RETSUPT99; December 8th, 2010 at 07:37 AM.
    The last Blood Moon Tetrad for this millennium starts in April 2014 and ends in September 2015...according to NASA.

Certified Glock Armorer
    NRA Life Member[/B]

Quote Originally Posted by retsupt99 View Post
    K.i.s.s.
    Well, I did say in my second post I don't plan on "whoring" this thing up like some folks AR's and yeah, I do have the Back Up already attached to the bed with the Mossy HD .410 ready to go.

Guantes, I'm not big on a pistol grip either, I was refering to the full stock WITH the added pistol grip, (like on an AR, but not a collapsible stock; see Speedfeed III).

I do have some training with the 870, (it's what I used at the academy), although that's been 15 yrs and I'm no longer doing the LEO deal. I'm not one for a 2 point sling, they get caught on things, (door knobs, dresser drawers, etc.), although I believe a single point sling may be a bit better, but that's at the low end of the list. I was also considering the Blackhawk bandoleer;

http://www.lapolicegear.com/blshbabl.html

Besides I don't believe clearing a house with a shotgun is a good idea unless you have a battery mate. I'll clear the house with a pistol any day of the week if it's just me, thank you. I saw a demonstratation at the academy how easily it is to take a shotgun out of a good guys hands clearing a house.

BTW, I remember seeing a strap that some had on the pump grip, anyone recall those and know if they're still availiable?

Distinguished Member Array Gideon's Avatar
    Well when you ask for advice on the internet...

Nothing personal but bandolier's are okay in the movies and that's it. They are heavy and move a lot and the swing messes you up. Also you have to try and grap a moving target to get ammo. Sorry friend but bad advice.

Also, side saddles look cool but do change the feel of the gun. You may want to consider a 4 round saddle vs 6 for the weight and for a dedicated HD shottie, you might want to forego the extra ammo all together. A good mag tube extension is enought for nearly all home SD scenarios. After that, a box or two of ammo where you plan on hunkering down is good.

Also, I agree with the recommendations on a regular stock but would suggest you consider a youth stock with a good recoil pad. I had a Knoxx recoild stock and liked it well enought but the pistol grip is awkward in my opinion and the regular stock is just simpler, cleaner and faster handling.

Also, if you get the youth stock with an R3 limbsaver recoil pad it helps with manuvering a shottie in the house and helps in being able to square off to the target.

For the average HD gun, a bead set up is best. For LEO's or others who might uses shotguns offensively or at longer distances, ghost rings with slugs are a great combo but for the rest of us the bead sight still rules the day.

One add on I really love on mine is an XS bigdot front night sight. The big white ring around the ampule is great and makes target acquisition fantastic. I don't think the night sight is that big of a deal but haveing that big white dot at the end of the barrel is fantastic.

I'd recommend no sling. period. If you must, get one that can be taken off and put it on backwards. The padded wide end goes closer to the butt stock so you can sling it on the weak side barrel down. Works best for getting a handgun. (assuming your right handed).

A few other good simple add ons:
    A dimpled follower so you can "feel" in the night if there's another round in the mag tube or not
    An oversized safety

And then finally; a decent quality LED light. The surefire forearms are nice if you have the bucks although I don't like how they look. I bought a surefire ring bracket that clamps onto a surefire led light. There's an angle bracket that's clamped to my mag tupe. The thumbscrew on the light clamp allows me to unscrew it and use the light on other weapons or by itself.

I sure spent a lot of money and monkeyed around before I settled on my current rig but it's simple, works, and is really practical.

have fun and be safe
    Gideon

Ex Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Gideon View Post
    Well when you ask for advice on the internet...

Nothing personal but bandolier's are okay in the movies and that's it. They are heavy and move a lot and the swing messes you up. Also you have to try and grap a moving target to get ammo. Sorry friend but bad advice.

Also, side saddles look cool but do change the feel of the gun. You may want to consider a 4 round saddle vs 6 for the weight and for a dedicated HD shottie, you might want to forego the extra ammo all together. A good mag tube extension is enought for nearly all home SD scenarios. After that, a box or two of ammo where you plan on hunkering down is good.

Also, I agree with the recommendations on a regular stock but would suggest you consider a youth stock with a good recoil pad. I had a Knoxx recoild stock and liked it well enought but the pistol grip is awkward in my opinion and the regular stock is just simpler, cleaner and faster handling.

Also, if you get the youth stock with an R3 limbsaver recoil pad it helps with manuvering a shottie in the house and helps in being able to square off to the target.

For the average HD gun, a bead set up is best. For LEO's or others who might uses shotguns offensively or at longer distances, ghost rings with slugs are a great combo but for the rest of us the bead sight still rules the day.

One add on I really love on mine is an XS bigdot front night sight. The big white ring around the ampule is great and makes target acquisition fantastic. I don't think the night sight is that big of a deal but haveing that big white dot at the end of the barrel is fantastic.

I'd recommend no sling. period. If you must, get one that can be taken off and put it on backwards. The padded wide end goes closer to the butt stock so you can sling it on the weak side barrel down. Works best for getting a handgun. (assuming your right handed).

A few other good simple add ons:
    A dimpled follower so you can "feel" in the night if there's another round in the mag tube or not
    An oversized safety

And then finally; a decent quality LED light. The surefire forearms are nice if you have the bucks although I don't like how they look. I bought a surefire ring bracket that clamps onto a surefire led light. There's an angle bracket that's clamped to my mag tupe. The thumbscrew on the light clamp allows me to unscrew it and use the light on other weapons or by itself.

I sure spent a lot of money and monkeyed around before I settled on my current rig but it's simple, works, and is really practical.

have fun and be safe
    Gideon

Excellent info. Americans, all of US, seem to fall into the trap where if something looks cool, and we can afford it, we just have to buy it. K.I.S.S is usually the best way to go.

Cool, Thanks for the input and I must admit after looking at the idea of the bandolier, I decided against it as well. Just seems difficult trying to get a round out.

My Marine Magnum is the Police model, not the express version. So it has the rifle sights, 18" barrel, Supercell recoil pad and the 7 shot tube already installed from the Remy plant.

Not to sure about a shorter stock. I'm a bit of a knuckle dragger at 6'6" and keep in mind, the other stock I'm interested in has the full butt stock WITH the pistol grip. Speedfeed III or IV. But again not committed, just looking at what may help with the handling of the weapon. I know I do like that type of grip on the M4, but not crazy about a collapsable stock on the shotty.

Where do you usually shop for these goodies, btw??

Quote Originally Posted by cammo girl View Post
    How about a Backup Rack? Keeps the dust bunnies out.

http://www.the-backup.com/
    Great idea. Seems easy enough to make one with some scrap materials I have lying around.
    "Leave the gun. Take the cannoli" Clemenza

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Sponsored Links