Steve McQueen's Mare's Leg

This is a discussion on Steve McQueen's Mare's Leg within the Defensive Rifles & Shotgun Discussion forums, part of the Related Topics category; Originally Posted by OD* Jim (J.B. Custom Incorporated) Buchanan is the fella suing Taurus/Rossi. If Rossi is being sued by an American gunsmith for infringement ...

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Steve McQueen's Mare's Leg

Distinguished Member Array LanceORYGUN's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by OD* View Post
    Jim (J.B. Custom Incorporated) Buchanan is the fella suing Taurus/Rossi.
    If Rossi is being sued by an American gunsmith for infringement of intellectual property, then I hope that the gunsmith Buchanan wins.

Might make the Rossi a little more expensive, though, if they have to pay Buchanan a royalty for each gun.

If I had been a western TV star back in the 50's and 60's, I would have liked to have carried a Winchester 97 shotgun, just like the one that I have. One could clean up a town real quick with a Winchester 97. I would have preferred it over this Mare's Leg from Wanted Dead or Alive or the Winchester 1892 of the Rifleman.

Sadly, the only good western that I know of where the Winchester 97 had a featured role in the gun play was the classic 1966 western "The Professionals", staring Lee Marvin and Burt Lancaster. That shotgun slew many a Mexican bandito in that movie:

If anyone has never seen this movie, it is truly a first rate western, with a great script, excellent acting, and superb photography. In fact, I cannot think of any western that I would rate better than it.

2. Remove Ads

The Professionals is truly a great movie.

I'm 22 and I actually own Wanted: Dead or Alive on DVD - I'm a Steve McQueen fan. Yet even I can't justify spending $500+ on this pistol. Honestly it's a design that looks really cool and edgy, but makes no sense in the real world. He would have been better off packing a long-barreled hogleg.
    A man without a blackthorn stick is a man without an expedient. - Irish Proverb

Why so SERIOUS?

Quote Originally Posted by Risque007 View Post
    The Professionals is truly a great movie.

I'm 22 and I actually own Wanted: Dead or Alive on DVD - I'm a Steve McQueen fan. Yet even I can't justify spending $500+ on this pistol. Honestly it's a design that looks really cool and edgy, but makes no sense in the real world. He would have been better off packing a long-barreled hogleg.
    I just looked, and the DVD sets for the entire series are not that expensive at all. Under $20 on Ebay from several vendors. That is pretty good buy for 47 hours of programming!

VIP Member
    Rossi shipped at least a few. A shop near me has one. A friend wanted one for a while, but didn't like the feel of it, so he left it there. Too bad, he had been looking forward to getting one as a "toy" for his collection.
    eschew obfuscation

The only thing that stops bad guys with guns is good guys with guns. SgtD

Only my view but it just looks mutilated rather than cool.
    Charter Member of the DC .41 LC Society

“No possible rapidity of fire can atone for habitual carelessness of aim with the first shot.”

Theodore Roosevelt, The Wilderness Hunter, 1893

VIP Member
    S. Florida, north of the Miami mess, south of the Mouse trap
    Old is still good, often better than "new."
    Retired USAF E-8. Lighten up and enjoy life because:
    Paranoia strikes deep, into your heart it will creep. It starts when you're always afraid... "For What It's Worth" Buffalo Springfield

OD*

"We have faithfully crafted our Mares Laig from authentic Winchester '92 carbines… "

Quote Originally Posted by bmcgilvray View Post
    Only my view but it just looks mutilated rather than cool.
    This one is even worse, he mutilates REAL Winchester '92s. Now that's sacrilege.
    http://www.bountyhunterspecial.com/
    "The pistol, learn it well, carry it always ..." ~ Jeff Cooper

"Diligentia Vis Celeritas"

"There is very little new, and the forgotten is constantly being rediscovered."
    ~ Tiger McKee

This one is even worse, he mutilates REAL Winchester '92s. Now that's sacrilege.
    Even worse than that, since this gunsmith is converting an 1892 rifle into a handgun, you have to register that gun with the ATF, and pay a $200 tax.

His guns are the most expensive yet, costing $2,850 to $3,100 depending on options. Only advantage is that you can have a real Winchester 92 modified.

Not worth all of the hassle and expense, in my book.

SPIT!!! SPUTTER!!! PFFFTTT! GRRRR...!!!

Now that ought to be a hanging offense. I have a darlin' little '92 saddle ring carbine from 1896 that is a real companion on fun walks afield and great on critters too. I can't imagine cutting up even a relic grade Winchester Model 1892 to make something that is neither fish nor fowl ... foul though it may be.

What is that silly "fighting crouch" suppose to represent in that photo in the link? It looks as if he is about to "fan" it. What are we going to hit with it, shooting it in that fashion?

“No possible rapidity of fire can atone for habitual carelessness of aim with the first shot.”

OD*
    That is a beauty! I always like the 32WCF & 25WCF, they were kind of a cross between a rifle and a carbine.

~ Tiger McKee

Love the old .32WCF ( .32-20). May be handloaded with home-cast bullets and a mild charge of Unique for shooting about as cheap as .22 Long Rifle and even more pleasant to use. It may also be jazzed up with .312" diameter 100-115 grain bullets to shoot with ballistics equal to the .30 Carbine round (not for use in the revolver). The .32-20 makes my top five favorite cartridges.

I'd love to play with the .25 WCF (.25-20) too. It looks very useful. Of course no revolvers were ever chambered for it but as a light rifle round it looks appealing. A friend of mine took his first couple of deer when he was a kid on their old central Texas ranch using a Winchester '92 .25-20. Said it worked well.

OD*
    Quote Originally Posted by bmcgilvray View Post
    Love the old .32WCF ( .32-20). May be handloaded with home-cast bullets and a mild charge of Unique for shooting about as cheap as .22 Long Rifle and even more pleasant to use. It may also be jazzed up with .312" diameter 100-115 grain bullets to shoot with ballistics equal to the .30 Carbine round (not for use in the revolver). The .32-20 makes my top five favorite cartridges.

I'd love to play with the .25 WCF (.25-20) too. It looks very useful. Of course no revolvers were ever chambered for it but as a light rifle round it looks appealing. A friend of mine took his first couple of deer when he was a kid on their old central Texas ranch using a Winchester '92 .25-20. Said it worked well.
    I have a friend that is into the 32/20 cartridge, says nearly the same things about it you do.

When I wrote the 32WCF & 25WCF were kind of a cross between a rifle and a carbine, I was speaking of the weapon itself, with Winchester using the carbine barrel band and the rifle magazine hanger on the same weapon.

~ Tiger McKee

I thought maybe that is what you meant since you locked on the feature that is a dead giveaway on the two smaller chamberings of the Model 1892 saddle-ring-carbines.

OD*
    That's is dang good shape for being 114 years old!

~ Tiger McKee

It still hits minute-of-jackrabbit out to 200 yards or so. Last time I had it out I whiled away the hours plinking at the side of the hill on our 200-yard range at our old lake place. Only thing is, I fired up all the ammunition I'd just handloaded. The boxes of brass are sitting on the bench but there's a back-up of other cartridges ahead of them.

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Links