Guys, I'm going to need your help on this one ;-)
I was pondering recently what type of rifle I would make for myself if I had to use it to fulfill almost every niche. While that's not possible (at least, not if you want to fit perfectly), I came up with a new rifle project that I want to start. It will serve decently in the roles of Truck Gun, Hunting Rifle, Scouting Rifle, Self Defense, and Target. I will post photos throughout as I come up with the finished project. Here is the criteria I've come up with so far:
1. Reasonably priced ($500 tops)
2. Bolt Action (ease of use/reliability/maintenance)
3. Must have a detachable magazine
4. Finished product (post-customization) needs to be lightweight
5. Good optics (Eotech/Aimpoint)
Here are the parts I'm going to need your help on:
- What Caliber?
- Which rifle? I know there are many bolt-action models out there; I need your recommendations
- How can I work to lighten the weight? (stock options, etc)
I understand some might not like the idea of a bolt action rifle for defense - after all there are plenty of reasonable priced semi-auto rifles (Saiga, Ruger, AK) that fit the bill. Realize this is more of a survival rifle than a "fighting" rifle; the primary role it will fill will involve camping and residing in the truck while traveling. That's why I opted for a bolt action.
Fire away! Any help/suggestions - especially on caliber and make/model - will be appreciated and taken into consideration.