Defensive Carry banner

Rifle Project: Tactical Bolt Action multipurpose rifle

18K views 25 replies 19 participants last post by  itschuck 
#1 ·
Guys, I'm going to need your help on this one ;-)

I was pondering recently what type of rifle I would make for myself if I had to use it to fulfill almost every niche. While that's not possible (at least, not if you want to fit perfectly), I came up with a new rifle project that I want to start. It will serve decently in the roles of Truck Gun, Hunting Rifle, Scouting Rifle, Self Defense, and Target. I will post photos throughout as I come up with the finished project. Here is the criteria I've come up with so far:

1. Reasonably priced ($500 tops)
2. Bolt Action (ease of use/reliability/maintenance)
3. Must have a detachable magazine
4. Finished product (post-customization) needs to be lightweight
5. Good optics (Eotech/Aimpoint)

Here are the parts I'm going to need your help on:

• What Caliber?
  • Which rifle? I know there are many bolt-action models out there; I need your recommendations
  • How can I work to lighten the weight? (stock options, etc)

I understand some might not like the idea of a bolt action rifle for defense - after all there are plenty of reasonable priced semi-auto rifles (Saiga, Ruger, AK) that fit the bill. Realize this is more of a survival rifle than a "fighting" rifle; the primary role it will fill will involve camping and residing in the truck while traveling. That's why I opted for a bolt action.

Fire away! Any help/suggestions - especially on caliber and make/model - will be appreciated and taken into consideration.

See less See more
#2 ·
Find a Savage Scout Rifle in .308 and you are in business. There are also scout type rifles converted from military bolt guns in other calibers that will work just as well.

#4 ·

Other than the detachable mag it meets your general requirements and its an inexpensive build $sub $500). As others have said your optics would eat up the entire budget you listed. To stay anywhere in the ballpark cash wise you would need to build a rifle from a milsurp platform. Of course I did all the work on this build myself.
Rifle: Mosin Nagant M38.....$90
Stock: ATI composit....$55
Finish: Metal Duracoat matte black, Stock OD green....$50
Scout scope mount: $60
2.5x Simmons EER scope: $90

#5 ·
I would go with a .308 due to the availability of ammo, bullets, firearms. It's also got plenty of power without too much recoil. It's what the US military snipers have been using for a long time. Most bolt action rifles don't come with a detachable magazine, and it can cost hundreds of dollars to replace. Here is the most affordable I can think of http://www.remington.com/products/firearms/centerfire/model-700/model-700-sps-dm.aspx. You should be able to get it for a little less than MSRP though.
Not too much that can be done to lighten the rifle. You can replace the stock, but there aren't any light weight stocks out there that I am aware of. You can get a rifle with a 20" barrel, which will save a few ounces.

#6 ·
If you are trying to do all this on a limited budget, mil-surp bolt actions, like Mosin Nagants, and Mausers, might be a good place to start.

Also, I have heard good things about the Mossberg bolt actions, and their MSRP is under 500, and you can find Savage's for under that too. I'm not sure any of them have a detachable magazine though.

I'd say .308 is a good all around rifle caliber.

Honestly, for your purposes I would skip the EOtech or Aimpoint style optics, they are more of CQB optics, and you don't want to be doing that with a bolt action, I think a low fixed power scope (like a 4x), would be a better choice for the roles it seems you are trying to get this rifle to fill.

Honestly, unless you see yourself taking shots longer than 100 yards or so, I'd say what you really want is a pump action shotgun, given the jobs you are trying to fill.

#7 ·
Ok not a bolt gun but --- my choice would be a 308 BLR. Short, light, handy very accurate. It's been my number one for decades. Uses a rotating lock bolt(AR like), and a gear drive lever. Mount a 1x-4 and you are good to go. It has a box mag as well.

I have the older model BLR, not the newer take-down. It may not be a cool scout rifle, but does the job. and doesn't wear you out after all day carry. Used ones are within your price range.

308 for sure ...

#8 ·
Pirate that is just a damn cool rifle. I have never seen a Nagant set up like that outstanding work.

#9 ·
Scout rifle? Lookin' fer ******, are ya?

Lightweight rifles in heavier calibers are great to carry, a pain (literally) to shoot. Since you want this firearm to do everything, Don't skimp on the weight. I learned my lesson the hard way with my Rem 700 .30-06. Lightened it up. Great to carry. Kicked the fillings loose on the range. Glassbedded it, added back the weight (and then some), and invested in a good, comfortable sling. Now it's good for all day at the bench and is easy to tote in the field.

Hunting? For what? Many will favor the .308 for general all-purpose caliber, and there's nothing wrong with that. Short action, good power, ammo available. My preference is the .30-06. Does everything the .308 does plus.

I don't consider your choices of optics as best "all-purpose." A low-power, variable scope (2x7) would fullfil the hunting/target aspect better. I can put a low power scope (2-3x) on a running target as quickly as an Aimpoint. How well is that Aimpoint going to work at 200 yards when all that buck shows is 6" of chest between the trees?

#11 ·
Oh, sorry, I see how you guys might have misunderstood. My limit of $500 isn't for the entire project, it's just for the rifle lol.

Pirate I do like the Mosin that you customized. While I am seriously tempted to go for that (they are selling them for $92.00 on budsgunshop right now), I need the detachable magazine. This is the same reason I'm not going with the suggestion of a pump shotgun.

Tarpon - the BLR was my first choice too. I'm very fond of lever actions, but the price, even used is $600+, which puts it out of the range I'm shooting for. I'm wanting to build this rifle so I don't have to use my nicer rifles for the rough stuff, haha. Well, that and it's always fun to build a specific gun up. :)

I've taken some looks at the Savage Edge for around $260-$300. I do like the 20" barrel idea.

#14 ·
Oh, sorry, I see how you guys might have misunderstood. My limit of $500 isn't for the entire project, it's just for the rifle lol.

Pirate I do like the Mosin that you customized. While I am seriously tempted to go for that (they are selling them for $92.00 on budsgunshop right now), I need the detachable magazine. This is the same reason I'm not going with the suggestion of a pump shotgun.

Tarpon - the BLR was my first choice too. I'm very fond of lever actions, but the price, even used is $600+, which puts it out of the range I'm shooting for. I'm wanting to build this rifle so I don't have to use my nicer rifles for the rough stuff, haha. Well, that and it's always fun to build a specific gun up. :)

I've taken some looks at the Savage Edge for around $260-$300. I do like the 20" barrel idea.
I am not trying to rain on your parade, just trying to offer some outside the box thinking for you. But why is the detachable magazine such an issue for you? It seems to me that they can be less reliable. And I can reload my Mosins or Mauser quicker from 5 shot stripper clips, which would work for you since you want to forward mouth your optic, in a scout position.

Take a look at the Enfield Jungle Carbines in 7.62x51, they have the ability to load from either stripper clips, or detachable magazines.

#13 ·
Pirate, nice job!

Here's my thought: settle on 308, then learn to reload. You can create different cartridges for each of the purposes you listed, many quite fun to shoot. For example, I hunt for rabbits with my 30-06, using Speer 90 grain "plinker" bullets and a pinch of powder. Cheap, no recoil, accurate.

#15 ·
Looking at the Savage Scout on their website, does the scope mount being mounted on the barrel affect the optics as the barrel heats up?

#16 ·
How about one of the new Remington 770 models in 30-06? Package deal might be everything you're looking for within budget right now. The optics can always be something to improve on in the future if you feel the need. That IMO.....should be ready to go. If you're looking for a "project", you'll get by less on initial expense for the rifle alone, but projects can grow (that's the fun thing about projects). Caliber? You choose. When it comes to projects, you pick what you're willing to work with and improve upon. A total "project rifle" almost always includes reloading for it. That's where you turn a good buy into a good deal, and a project you never give up on. Sometimes I think it's a sin to look at all of those used rifles in the rack at the gun shop or pawn....knowing they can all be made wanted and desirable again rather than collecting dust. I can't save the world, and I can't afford to buy all of them even at a good deal. A diamond dug out of the ground is still a precious stone. Those that work the stone into something of value and more desirable know it's true worth while looking at it in the rough, and they also know their time and work spent makes it that much more valuable. An unwanted rifle in a rack covered with dust is just like an unwanted puppy at the shelter. Any sense of humanity makes you want to keep it alive. A good project rifle will be fulfilling in every way.

#19 ·
I was pondering recently what type of rifle I would make for myself if I had to use it to fulfill almost every niche. While that's not possible (at least, not if you want to fit perfectly), I came up with a new rifle project that I want to start. It will serve decently in the roles of Truck Gun, Hunting Rifle, Scouting Rifle, Self Defense, and Target.
Though not a bolt gun you just described all of the great traits of the Lever action rifle.

1. Reasonably priced ($500 tops)
Check you can find nice used Marlin 30-30's for considerably less.
2. Bolt Action (ease of use/reliability/maintenance)
Though not a bolt action Marlin rifles are very reliable and rugged. The lever can be removed as well so you can clean from the breach.
3. Must have a detachable magazine
Being that it is tube fed you won't have to woory about mis-placing/loseing a clip.
4. Finished product (post-customization) needs to be lightweight
Check, leveractions are light weight and very reponsive in the hands.
5. Good optics (Eotech/Aimpoint)
Check again you can get a lever scout rail which will allow you to mount any optic you desire.

As for caliber 30-30 since it is everywhere literally, and fairly economical. I've never noticed a shortage of 30-30 ammo at anytime either. Look at the link below, you may be able to get some good ideas from the pictures in the link. In the first post you will see what the scout set up will look like.

http://www.marlinowners.com/forums/index.php/topic,69657.0.html

#21 ·
I've been looking at Marlins bolt action rifle it's selling in the $350 range $400ish if you go stainless steel. Every review I've read has been excellent, I just haven't had a chance to hold one yet. I've own a couple of other Marlin's and have never had a problem.

#23 ·
Cammo girl: I remember a thread once in which a man was going through his grandfather's belongings and found a Luger. Imagine! That would be awesome.

I've got to say - it's really too bad that Marlin discontinued the "Camp 9". If they were still around for decent prices I would go for that over a bolt action.

I'm really considering moving towards a lever action as opposed to a bolt. Going to drop by some gun shops and handle some Marlins and Winchesters.

#24 ·
Pirate, I'd like to hear a range report on that Mosin in it's current config.

I have a 91/30 (manf. 1932 ) Hex that I have been pondering the same, with the exception of a side mounted SVD/PSL scope mount to use my 4x tip2 and 8x POSP (not sure I could morally live with drilling the receiver for the mount on a 78 year old rifle though).

#25 ·
The rifle started life as a standard Russian M38 Mosin Nagant. The stock was beatup and the finish was bad but the rifle was mechanically sound with a counter-bored but otherwise good bore. I removed the old wood stock and Duracoated the metal parts matte black. I also Duracoated the ATI replacement stock OD green. I removed the rear sight leaf and installed a scout mount base and EER 2.5x scope. The rifle with the ATI stock with built in butt pad really helps with recoil and it now does not beat up me shoulder and makes it a pleasent shooting experience. With this scout type EER scope I can generally get 2" groups at 100 yards with milsurp ammo. At 200 yards I can hit a pie plate easily. I like scout scopes myself, some othesr do not. But for a rifle setup like this it the perfect option I think. With EER scopes you sight with both eyes open and you raise your head up and see whats moving in front of you, say a deer moving in the brush at 75 yards and you can quickly get a good aimed shot off and also followup quickly if need be. The Simmons EER scope is kind of a cheapy but it works OK but I would like to add a Nikon 2x EER scope which IMO is the best EER scopes available for under 2 bills.

I shot these groups a while back at 100 off a front rest with just some heavy ball milsurp ammo. With a 2.5x scope this is not too bad with inconsistant 50 year old milsurp ammo.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.