My new Rem 870 tactical shotgun build. Thoughts?

This is a discussion on My new Rem 870 tactical shotgun build. Thoughts? within the Defensive Rifles & Shotgun Discussion forums, part of the Related Topics category; My Rem 870 12Ga has gone through a few iterations , but I think this is my final version. (It now weighs "only" 12 pounds, ...

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: My new Rem 870 tactical shotgun build. Thoughts?

Question My new Rem 870 tactical shotgun build. Thoughts?

My Rem 870 12Ga has gone through a few iterations , but I think this is my final version. (It now weighs "only" 12 pounds, lightened from the almost 14 , what with my removal of the red dot, the laser, the heavy non-skeletonized front pistol grip, and etc!):

[I had posted these pics on a well known shotgun-centric forum a week or so ago, but some of the members there didn't seem to be nearly as polite as most everyone is here at DefensiveCarry.com! [And I don't mean simple criticisms and jibes; but sometimes rude and useless remarks that can get rather annoying after awhile! ])

-Bill
    Attached Images
    Last edited by Will B. Droopy; December 9th, 2010 at 01:23 PM. Reason: Pics did not show up in some browsers!!

2. Remove Ads

No pic?
    Don't believe what you hear and only half of what you see!
    -Tony Soprano

Thanks Varob -- for some reason the pics showed up in my Chrome browser, but when I read your response, I looked at it in Internet Explorer, and no pics! Weird!!

-Bill

Is all the work you've done cosmetic or have you rebuilt the gun for reliability and function, using new internals, new follower and spring, Flextab anti-jamb feed system and other reliability work?

If not, you might want to consider sending it to Scattergun Technologies, which is a division of Wilson Combat. Check out the link for their "Remington Steal" package. They will rebuild and refinish your Rem 870 turning it into a reliable combat shotgun at a very competitive price. It is well worth the money. Not just cosmetic upgrades, but a total rebuild done professionally and arguably cheaper than you can do it yourself.
    -Bark'n
    Semper Fi

"The gun is the great equalizer... For it is the gun, that allows the meek to repel the monsters; Whom are bigger, stronger and without conscience, prey on those who without one, would surely perish."

I'd hate to be sitting in the Defendant's chair in a courtroom and have that scattergun paraded about in front of a Jury.

Does the things you did to it improve functioning, or serve any purpose beyond cosmetic?

Biker

Distinguished Member
    It certainly looks cool, and I bet it's a blast to shoot!

But I wouldn't keep it handy as a SD gun. God help you if you're ever a defendant with the prosecutor showing that thing to the jury...

edit: dangit Biker!

Smile

Thanks for the feedback guys! Except for the skulls, and arguably the heat shield, nothing else is really cosmetic. And since mine is an 870P model, I really felt very little need to internally mess with perfection!

My 870P already has a FlexTab; and the follower, which is stock Remington, works 100% after I modified it to reliably get past the +2 extension.

As well, the King's Armory KA-1212 Flash Suppressor/Muzzle Break gets rid of the nighttime risk of the "flashbulb effect", and the M-16 'ghost ring' sights (with HiViz Spark II fiberoptic bead) are better for me due to my familiarity with rifle peep sights.

The RB-A487cheek rest is ideal for a great cheek weld, and the LED tac light is obviously an essential item (rubber elastomer mounted for extra shock resistance).

I also added a big dome Vang Comp safety, which I find essential too, and I added one pound of lead to the butt stock for better balance and to lessen recoil, along with a Pachmayr Decelerator pad.

Even the pistol grips are there for a good reason, since I find racking the pump with a pistol grip a LOT more comfortable than with a normal forend setup!

-Bill

Quote Originally Posted by Xader View Post
    It certainly looks cool, and I bet it's a blast to shoot!

But I wouldn't keep it handy as a SD gun. God help you if you're ever a defendant with the prosecutor showing that thing to the jury...

edit: dangit Biker!
    You should see my EDC! (http://www.defensivecarry.com/vbulle...stol-either...)

I realize about the jury ramifications of any such type of artwork, but I decided that you only live once, and so I finally just said 'the heck with it; I want my weapons the way I feel they should look, not the way a jury may think a nice and polite defensive gun should look'!

-Bill

I hadn't thought of the court room aspect. It looks heavy. I'm not a huge fan of pistol grips and vertical grips on shotguns. Even on my M4 I don't care for a vertical grip.

Wow, when I posted my response, the pictures weren't visible. That sure is a mean looking weapon.

Yep, you only live once. No doubt about it. And I would prefer not to live the rest of my life behind bars because some biased jurors were prejudiced against my scary looking gun.

Yep, the looks of a weapon has nothing do to with it, but in reality, peoples personal prejudices always seems to sneak into the jury deliberation room along with them.
    -Bark'n
    Semper Fi

"The gun is the great equalizer... For it is the gun, that allows the meek to repel the monsters; Whom are bigger, stronger and without conscience, prey on those who without one, would surely perish."

Distinguished Member Array alachner's Avatar
    That is a mean looking shotgun!!! Very nice work buddy...
    "If you carry a gun, people will call you paranoid. That's ridiculous... If I have a gun, what in the hell do I have to be paranoid for?" [Clint Smith - Thunder Ranch]

Question:

What is that device at the end of the barrel and what does it do?
    What kind of stock is that?
    How functional is the positioning of your flashlight, being very rearward at the pistol grip?
    Why did you choose pistol grip (not speaking to the pump/forearm which you've already addressed)?
    What is your focus for this gun as in use/application...Because I see AR stylized and height rifle sights attached but your ammo as shown are shot rather than slugs?
    As the gun weighs 12 lbs. (that is heavy!) being down from further still 14 lbs., do you have any video of it's recoil under fire shooting 2 3/4 slug or common defensive type ammo (#4 or 1 Buck or 00 Buck)?

As to a reddot, for home defense you don't need one...Nor the rifle peep sights for that matter.
    That's just extra dead weight, to ostensibly soak up recoil....Along with the other 12 to 14 lbs. of shouldered mass.

- Janq
    "Killers who are not deterred by laws against murder are not going to be deterred by laws against guns. " - Robert A. Levy

"A license to carry a concealed weapon does not make you a free-lance policeman." - Florida Div. of Licensing

Yeah, but how is it for squirrel?

Pretty "bad" looking gun. Looks like a fun build.

Quote Originally Posted by Janq View Post
    ...As to a reddot, for home defense you don't need one...Nor the rifle peep sights for that matter
    - Janq
    +1 on that, I shot a doe a few years back with a slug from my Mossberg 590 at 70 yards using nothing more than my Meprolight tritium bead sight. I had not pulled the trigger on that shotgun in almost two years prior shooting the doe.

I honestly did not realize it was that far out or I wouldn't have taken the shot, however, I have shot that weapon extensively and in two combat shotgun courses. I've also killed a total of 4 deer with it. Both my hunting partner and I were a little surprised when we stepped off nearly 70 yards from our hunting blind to the large pool of foamy blood where it was standing. My point of aim was about 3 or 4 inches above the height of the deer at the shoulders. I penetrated both lungs but below the heart. It ran about 30 - 35 yards and dropped.
    -Bark'n
    Semper Fi

Quote Originally Posted by BikerRN View Post
    I'd hate to be sitting in the Defendant's chair in a courtroom and have that scattergun paraded about in front of a Jury.

Does the things you did to it improve functioning, or serve any purpose beyond cosmetic?

Biker
    +1000....do not do anything to your defensive firearms that promotes death (ghostly skulls) or vigilante looking for somebody to shoot behavior (i.e. "Punisher" skulls, etc.) It may look coo to you and be the pride of your collection but any jury will cringe and think you a loon looking to test your new tool when you shot a BG at 3 AM. Any prosecutor(read politician) will gladly raise his stock in the media by hanging you from the proverbial yard arm with your "skull emblazoned killing machine".

It looks nice and tacticool, and am sure you spent a lot of time and effort to get it just the way you want it, but it is not your friend in a court situation. I work in the criminal courts. Sometimes it is not what happens but what LOOKS like happened.

Your SD/HD guns should be functional...not flashy. Congrats on getting your gun the way you want it, but you would probably be better off with a plain ol 870 with a side saddle and light and trigger.
    Friends don't let friends be MALL NINJAS.

I am just as nice as anyone lets me be and can be just as mean as anyone makes me. - Quoted from Terryger, New member to our forum.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Links