Long Range Toy

This is a discussion on Long Range Toy within the Defensive Rifles & Shotgun Discussion forums, part of the Related Topics category; I have a few toys for shooting distances and I am thinking about another one. However I have no exspierience with this round and am ...

Thread: Long Range Toy

Distinguished Member Array Dragman's Avatar

Long Range Toy

I have a few toys for shooting distances and I am thinking about another one. However I have no exspierience with this round and am looking for some advices. I am looking at a savage 110BA in 338 lapua. I have bigger long range "sniper rifles" and smaller, but have always wanted a 338lapua. Looking to see if there is much in way of reviews on them and if so what range of glass is the norm for them if anyone has one.
    To crush your enemies, to see them driven before you, and to hear the lamentations of their women

2. Remove Ads

VIP Member
    The .338 was/is designed to fill the gap between the 7.62 and the .50 caliber weapons systems. I was able to shoot them quite a bit at the range in Afghanistan in 06-07 as the Dutch forces we were with used them.

Their rifles were AWS .338 and if I remember correctly had a Schimdt and Bender optic that went up to 12-14 power, don't quote me on the optic. The rifle itself shot well and mid range was 800 meters. I and others had no problem hitting targets at 800-1000 meters with some practice. Every once in a while when all was zen with the world I could tag a target at the upper end of its range about 1400-1500 meters. After a bit hitting targets closer than 800 was not a challenge the system was just that good.

The Savage rifle look great and should perform well. Now as far as being able to find a place to shoot this rifle to it's potential who knows. Set up correctly there is no reason it could not be a MOA rifle. As far as optics I guess it would depend on how well your vision is and how experienced you are at shooting at long range as to what would suit you. Ammo is currently more available and with greater variety than before and prices have come down some but it still can be an expensive day at the range.

Good luck
    "A first rate man with a third rate gun is far better than the other way around". The gun is a tool, you are the craftsman that makes it work. There are those who say "if I had to do it, I could" yet they never go out and train to do it. Don't let stupid be your mindset. Harryball 2013

Senior Moderator
    I don't have a .338 but I have a couple of .50's.
    Like any other long range round, you really need good glass to utilize it. Any scope will do out to 400 or so, but after that, cheap glass really becomes apparent, especially if there is a good scope there to judge it by.

The thing about magnification is that somewhere around 12x or so, mirage becomes a serious factor on a warm day. The high powered target scopes work great, but they even suffer a bunch. It doesnt even have to be warm really, just a nice sunny day will warm the ground to where you can see it in the scope so its something to be aware of.

I have scopes on some of my rifles that cost more than the rifle did. The thing is, if you cant see it, you sure wont be able to hit it.
    I would rather stand against the cannons of the wicked than against the prayers of the righteous.

AR. CHL Instr. 07/02 FFL
    Like custom guns and stuff? Check this out...
    http://bobbailey1959.wordpress.com/

Thanks for the info guys. I have the 7.62 and a .50 so bridging the gap is what I am trying to do I guess. The ammo becoming availible is what really made me start thinking on this. I have a 4.5-14 VXIII do you think that will be enough or should should I buy someting new so that I don't limit the guns abilitys?
    To crush your enemies, to see them driven before you, and to hear the lamentations of their women

Senior Moderator
    It'll do for a start. I have several of them on my rifles.

For the long range stuff, you might think of one of the 6x18's or something even a bit higher. I like the zoom feature because if the mirage is bad at least you can zoom back to minimize it. Make sure you get the tactical turrets so that you have enough adjustment for way out yonder.
    I would rather stand against the cannons of the wicked than against the prayers of the righteous.

AR. CHL Instr. 07/02 FFL
    Like custom guns and stuff? Check this out...
    http://bobbailey1959.wordpress.com/

Still trying find someone with first hand exsperience with this gun?????

Links