Winchester 1300 Defender front sight options?

This is a discussion on Winchester 1300 Defender front sight options? within the Defensive Rifles & Shotgun Discussion forums, part of the Related Topics category; I just got a great deal on a very nice blue/walnut 1300 Defender and was wondering what my front sight options are? I'd like to ...

Thread: Winchester 1300 Defender front sight options?

Distinguished Member Array Wasabi's Avatar

Winchester 1300 Defender front sight options?

I just got a great deal on a very nice blue/walnut 1300 Defender and was wondering what my front sight options are? I'd like to get one of those XS Big Dot beads that I epoxy over my existing bead but the site says they're for a Rem 870. I emailed XS about if it would work and haven't heard back. Anybody know if it will work? If not, any other night sight/bead options out there?

Thanks for any input.

2. Remove Ads

I'm all ears in this thread with you Wasabi (asked similar question awhile back).

My HD pump is a Defender. It came with one of those long optic tube clip on front sights. First time it went in the safe I snapped it when leaning the shottie in its slot. I know the light tube is replaceable, but it broke way too easy for me to keep it on a HD shotgun.

After putting a Mepro on my SP101 I have thought a big dot would be great on the end of the shottie. I wrote XS too, with no reply. Someone in here said it was better to call them. Someone else in here told me the sight post thread size on most Winchesters is 3-56.

Congrats on your new old 1300. Bet the wood and blue looks classy.

It's definitely doable but requires some work.

The front bead is too small. It has to be removed and then replaced with a Brownell's #6 bead. Then you just JB Weld the XS over the #6 bead. Mine has held up for hundreds of rounds.

Thanks HeadHunter,

Couple of questions. How hard is it to replace the bead? If I JB Weld it on, how do I ever get it off without damaging the barrel if I need a new one?

Just put a pliers on the original and screw it out. Then screw the #6 bead in. The excess part of the post will have to be ground off inside the barrel with a moto-tool or such.

As far as removing the XS bead, JB Weld breaks down at 500 degrees, so I expect you could heat with a torch to get it off. Other than that, it's on to stay.

That doesn't sound too difficult except for the part about the excess post having to be ground off. Maybe it will be easier if I grind it down before I put it back in the barrel? Also, I wonder if I could just build up the existing bead some and leave it on? I'm going to be JB Welding the XS sight over it anyway.

Thanks again for the input.

I don't think building up the current bead would work. It fits quite flush to the barrel, while the replacement bead is rounded so gives the JB something to hold on to. Grinding off the excess post is no big deal if you have a moto-tool. Those beads are soft metal and grind easily. The hole is close to the muzzle.

Has any one ever try front flip up sights on a 1300

I see you used JB weld on the front sight so it work great, I won't to try it on a front flip up sights, i am looking to add some flip up sight to my 1300. and I don't wont to solder weld it on tell I know it work great.

Links