More Mini-14 Questions

More Mini-14 Questions

This is a discussion on More Mini-14 Questions within the Defensive Rifles & Shotgun Discussion forums, part of the Related Topics category; I am going to buy a Ruger Mini-14 in the near future from my Uncle, for $300. I am also going to send it to ...

Thread: More Mini-14 Questions

More Mini-14 Questions

I am going to buy a Ruger Mini-14 in the near future from my Uncle, for $300. I am also going to send it to Accuracy Systems when I have enough $$$ and I figure I will end up with a 1-1.5 MOA 16" rifle for the same price as an average AR.

But I also plan on changing the stock. I am looking at some laminated wood stocks but is there anywhere online I can find a factory folding stock? The factory folders look really cool and well built. The Butler Creeks and Ramlines look like crap.

And I would also like some hi-cap mags. The Beta-Cs are outrageously over priced. Has anyone had good luck with the 40 rounders. I'm thinking of sinching two 40 rounders together and also add a spare mag pouch on the buttstock with a 20 rounder. That will give me 100 rounds of .223 on the weapon. If they are crap I'll go with 20 or 30 rounders instead.

Lead Moderator
    I don't think Ruger makes the factory folders anymore. you may be able to find a used 1 somewhere. Also the jungle clip mag idea may not work well. the spare mag may lose ammo during recoil.
    if you are considering an optic , make sure you get a ranch rifle.
    "In matters of style, swim with the current; in matters of principle, stand like a rock." Thomas Jefferson

Nemo Me Impune Lacesset

No I'm going to get whats called the "Urban Brawler" installed when I eventually sent it to accuracy systems. It is a replacement handguard and has a picitanny rail down it. So I plan on mounting an EoTech 512. Another cool thing is the rail is slightly raised and there is a hollow tunnel so that I can still use the iron sights.

Do the mag sinches on ARs have the problem of losing ammo while shooting? If I do have a problem with rounds falling out of the spare mag I'll just put a plastic cover over the spare mag.

And the Mini-14 my Uncle has for sale is a blue version from before the Ranch Model was available.

Lead Moderator
    My AR does, but it is a Carbon 15 model , about a lb. lighter than the standard AR. Got ya on the rail mount set up.
    "In matters of style, swim with the current; in matters of principle, stand like a rock." Thomas Jefferson

Nemo Me Impune Lacesset

VIP Member Array Redneck Repairs's Avatar
    lots of work to bring a mini up to ar standards on either base reliablilty or accuracy imho , but if you love tha action .. well good luck to ya .
    Make sure you get full value out of today , Do something worthwhile, because what you do today will cost you one day off the rest of your life .
    We only begin to understand folks after we stop and think .

Criminals are looking for victims, not opponents.

Administrator
    Choate Machine & Tool makes a decently Indestructible Mini 14 stock but, I don't think they sell a folder.

Click Here To Go There & Search - Ruger

BTW The original Ruger Factory Folding Stocks fetch Big Bucks these days.
    The usual asking price is around $400.00 for one in exceptional condition.

Yeah the original folder looks great and I bet they are quite expensive considering the fact that the whole rifle will cost you well over a grand. I wish somebody would have a repro version.

If you can find a Ruger folding stock I would expect you'll have a stroke when you see the price.

I get MOA with reloads in my Mini 14s. I won't touch anything but 20rd and 30rd Ruger or PMI.

And I don't have problems with my Mini 14s.

Quote Originally Posted by '75scout
    I wish somebody would have a repro version.
    Don't! Choate's product locks up much more tightly. The factory folders pretty much had to be a hand-select affair- I've never met anyone with the Ruger part (who ordered it in, vs. trying three or more in-store) who was happy with it.

Butler Creek is "ok", but more "spindley" than Choate.

Thermold polymer mags are great. There was also "American somethingorother", IIRC , that made good steel mags. They came in individual (heavy weight) baggies, with the manufacturer's info and so forth printed on it. Honestly, stick with the 20s and 30s, or save for the Beta- 100% reliability is better than 3 rounds/FTE/37 left stuck in the mag. The John Masen Black Warriors are supposed to be very good..... www.cdnninvestments.com > gun parts >magazines > Rifle > Ruger

Distinguished Member Array dimmak's Avatar
    I've had bad luck with the 40 rders and sold them.....
    Just stick with 30 rders (green followers) and you should be ok....
    "Ray Nagin is a colossal disappointment" - NRA/ILA Executive Director Chris W. Cox.

"...be water, my friend."

I've seen the John Masons and they were definatly more expensive. I have heard the Betas aren't all that great, and cause malfunctions.

I'll stick with the 30s and 20s I guess.

Sponsored Links