HD Shotgun

This is a discussion on HD Shotgun within the Defensive Rifles & Shotgun Discussion forums, part of the Related Topics category; Finally picked up a Mossberg 500 for HD. Now Im looking forward to adding toys to it. Any 'must haves' idea's?...

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: HD Shotgun

HD Shotgun

Finally picked up a Mossberg 500 for HD. Now Im looking forward to adding toys to it. Any 'must haves' idea's?
    XD-40 4"

The road goes nowhere for those who dare not dream.

2. Remove Ads

A tube-mount light is a nice touch. An ammo sleeve would also be handy. Did you get the full size or rhw Just In Case version w/ the pistol grip?

Administrator
    The only two things I'd add is a light and a hard mounted ammo carrier.
    "Just blame Sixto"

jabo, let us know how you like the mossy. i was going to pick one up for HD as well. im assuming it is the persuader model?
    .45ACP 1911 Colt Commander XSE

Light, sling, and some way to carry ammo on the weapon is all it really needs, more than that and you tend to detract from usability.
    Fortes Fortuna Juvat

Former, USMC 0311, OIF/OEF vet
    NRA Pistol/Rifle/Shotgun/Reloading Instructor, RSO, Ohio CHL Instructor

I'd run a search of this site under the exact same items as your OP, and from that see and learn from the other threads of exact same subject and query as posted days, weeks, months and years ago.

This and the question of what caliber is best to stop a threat have got to be the two most commonly asked question on ANY gunfu forum within any given month muchless week.

Nothing will be advised, and debated, here that has not already been done over and over just days and weeks ago in exact same other threads.
    By running a search you will be able to note the nuggets of good info as well as side chatter that otherwise might not occur in your own specific thread simply because folk might be tired of repeating themself on this specific subject.

$0.02 Street

- Janq
    "Killers who are not deterred by laws against murder are not going to be deterred by laws against guns. " - Robert A. Levy

"A license to carry a concealed weapon does not make you a free-lance policeman." - Florida Div. of Licensing

Pretty much decided on a pistol grip and a tube light with a thumb activator. My concern is adding too much and making it heavy. I also kicked around the idea of changing out the sights, adding a ghost ring in back and a fiber optic in front.
    Waltah, it is the persuader model.
    XD-40 4"

I'd run a few boxes of ammo in it as is, to get a feel for it, then maybe add a mounted light and a 4 or 6 shell side saddle.
    Don't believe what you hear and only half of what you see!
    -Tony Soprano

Must have ideas? Ammo and practice before you put it in the corner or under the bed. LOL! After that? It's up to you. Anything that will make it more tactical than it needs to be more than likely. I won't spend your money......you will. Best of luck to you with your new shotty for HD!

K.I.S.S.
    Have Gun ~ Will Carry
    S-Safety
    M-Motivation
    A-Awareness
    R-Responsibility
    T-Training

I added a six round side saddle to mine and that was it. I'm gonna pick up another m500 to customize with a bunch of goodies in the next month or so. Check out YouTube, there's tons of folks that have tricked out theirs. Plenty of cool options being done to um, some pretty cool one's and a couple that seem to be a little over the top IMO, but to each his own. Excellent shotguns IMO.
    "He that hath no sword, let him sell his garment, and buy one." Luke 22:36

"If a law is unjust, a man is not only right to disobey it, he is obligated to do so." Thomas Jefferson

RKM
    As far as being good enough for HD... right out of the box is good. A mounted light is a nice touch. But if you want to go overboard like I did...........

ATI M4 style folding stock, ATI elastic shell holder, StreamLight TLR-1 and Knight Arm co Grip mounted to a univertsal picatinny rail on the pump. Too much? Yeah..... But I like it. I wouldn't mind ghost ring sights. Someday I'd like to get a side by side double barrel and leave it as is.

well i put an extendable stock w/ pistol grip that Blackhawk makes, havent had a chance to shoot it yet with the holidays but looking forward to it. I also added a tube mounted light with a pressure switch. Any ideas on the best way to secure the cord from the switch to the light?
    XD-40 4"

Distinguished Member Array Jason Storm's Avatar
    The only thing I want to do to my Mossberg 500 is to have my current forearm replaced with one that has a Surefire light. I want to do that, but I am not comfortable with disassembling the forearm and the hinges from the receiver. I only remove the receiver from the barrell and that is as far as I know regarding field stripping my Mossberg 590, which is similar to your 500. By the way, congrats on the 500 and it will last for many years to come. You will love it as I love my 590.

Post #13 = zip ties

Post $ 14 = Buy at LGS and make a deal (I'll buy it from you if you mount it at no cost.) That's what I did, and at $250.00 + he was more than willing to help me out.
    Don't believe what you hear and only half of what you see!
    -Tony Soprano

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Links