New Spike's Tactical AR-15

This is a discussion on New Spike's Tactical AR-15 within the Defensive Rifles & Shotgun Discussion forums, part of the Related Topics category; I got this Spike's ST-15 back in July as a birthday present to myself. I am just getting around to posting it now. It has ...

Thread: New Spike's Tactical AR-15

New Spike's Tactical AR-15

I got this Spike's ST-15 back in July as a birthday present to myself. I am just getting around to posting it now. It has been completely flawless to date. Very impressed with the quality of this rifle. I am currently running a UTG rear sight and have purchased some PMAG's. I am thinking about eventually getting a red dot but for now I am content running the iron sights. The first picture shows the UTG sights flipped up. The second picture is from my first time shooting the rifle. All shots were fired from a standing position at 25 and 50 yards (I taped over a few flyers). I am decently happy with the results because this is the first time I had ever shot a rifle.

What do you all think?

spikes2.jpgspikes3.jpg
    Last edited by big country; December 15th, 2010 at 11:08 PM. Reason: spelling

2. Remove Ads

I think you shouldn't run .22lr through it with a spike's conversion bolt, then immediately switch back to .223 without cleaning it...

I found that out Sunday.

Their was an "incident" and the muzzle break was only returned to me today...Seems it made it over 50 feet downrange into the lead traps...

Quote Originally Posted by MitchellCT View Post
    I think you shouldn't run .22lr through it with a spike's conversion bolt, then immediately switch back to .223 without cleaning it...

I found that out Sunday.

Their was an "incident" and the muzzle break was only returned to me today...Seems it made it over 50 feet downrange into the lead traps...
    Sorta defeats the whole "train with cheap .22 ammo and save money" thing, doesn't it?
    The more good folks carry guns, the fewer shots the crazies can get off.
    www.armedcitizensnetwork.org - member
    Glock 30, 19, 26; Ruger SP101, LCR, LCP (2), Mini 14; Remington 870; Marlin 336 .30-30
    CT Lasers

Wow! Yeah I think my next purchase will be the S&W MP15-22 instead of a conversion bolt/kit.

Quote Originally Posted by 10thmtn View Post
    Sorta defeats the whole "train with cheap .22 ammo and save money" thing, doesn't it?
    I never claimed to be THAT intelligent...I had some kids shooting it and just kept feeding them ammo.

Then I switched back to standard, and put a few rounds of frangible through it. Indoor range...

Gun functioned fine...I just was missing the muzzle break when I was done.

Had I used a bore snake, it wouldn't have happened.

How many rounds of .22 were fired before you switched back?

Quote Originally Posted by big country View Post
    Wow! Yeah I think my next purchase will be the S&W MP15-22 instead of a conversion bolt/kit.
    Ding! We have a winner! Love my 15-22... great little rifle.
    "I pledge allegiance to the Flag of the United States of America, and to the Republic for which it stands, one Nation indivisible, with liberty and justice for all."
    You are not paranoid if They are actually out to get you, however, They probably are not and you probably are.

I never claimed to be THAT intelligent...I had some kids shooting it and just kept feeding them ammo.

Then I switched back to standard, and put a few rounds of frangible through it. Indoor range...

Gun functioned fine...I just was missing the muzzle break when I was done.

Had I used a bore snake, it wouldn't have happened.
    So...your muzzle brake became a muzzle break when it flew down-range?

Were you able to get it back on, or does it need to go back for repair?

Glad no one was hurt!

Do I assume too much lead residue from the .22 LR ammo caused an over-pressure situation?
    The more good folks carry guns, the fewer shots the crazies can get off.
    www.armedcitizensnetwork.org - member
    Glock 30, 19, 26; Ruger SP101, LCR, LCP (2), Mini 14; Remington 870; Marlin 336 .30-30
    CT Lasers

A spikes M4 and S&P M&P15-22, do make for a nice pair. They are kind of like big and little brothers.

Distinguished Member Array pirate's Avatar

I found that out Sunday.

So you are thinking shooting .22lr ammo with a conversion BCG through your rifle somehow caused a threaded-on (I assume) A2 style muzzle break or flash hidder installed with a crush or peel washer to fly off the rifle? I would seriously doubt it. Even if the .22 LR ammo leaded up the bore and this caused an over-pressure situation when you switched back to .223 ammo, the muzzle attachment would have to be loose and somehow unscrew itself from the barrel threads before it could fly off. Otherwise the threads would be damaged and stripped if it was blown from the rifle. That kind of over-pressure would likely have caused a ka-boom event. Thousands of people use the .22 conversions in their Ar's and normally the only issues are related to dirty gas tubes. But I will say it does make good sense to clean the barrel before going back to .223 ammo, but I do doubt that using .22 ammo in your AR caused this condition.
    Last edited by pirate; December 20th, 2010 at 06:52 PM.
    When I leave the home port:
    S&W 642 Airweight, Ruger SP 101, Colt Detective Spec., CZ RAMI, Kahr PM9, Kahr CW40, S&W Model 10-7, Glock 30, 19, and 26, Browning Hi Power, CZ82, Colt Commander, Dan Wesson PM7, Ruger LCP

Guess I'm lucky all the times I used some .223 after shooting my 22 kit...flash hider still intact. ;)

Links