Wasr 10/63

Wasr 10/63

This is a discussion on Wasr 10/63 within the Defensive Rifles & Shotgun Discussion forums, part of the Related Topics category; Probably one of the cheapest AKM's money can buy. But you know what..... It still works. So I finally got a chance to shoot it ...

Thread: Wasr 10/63

Wasr 10/63

Probably one of the cheapest AKM's money can buy. But you know what..... It still works.

So I finally got a chance to shoot it today after owning it for a week. And OMG it didn't blow up!!!!!! (as claimed by many) haha.

But seriously, it's fun. I'm defiantly going to be hollowing out the magwell as it only holds single stack 10 round mags. Shooting it back to back with my AR, 10 rounds just plain sucks. AK's kick a lot less than I thought they would, but during rapid fire, man do they climb. Old news to anybody who owns one. The thing that bugs me the most is, if you're not counting the rounds, that last dry fire shot. Then having to open the action to make sure it wasn't a FTF or bad round. Kind of annoying.

Accuracy: I only shot it at 7 and 15 yards. It hit what I was aiming at, but in my hands, it doesn't stand a chance against my AR in a battle of accuracy. But again, that's just in my hands. I'm sure it's more accurate than I can shoot it.

So far so good. The standard AK sights are terrible. But, they're probably going to stay. Only stuff I'm going to do to this AK are hollow out the magwell, ACE skeleton stock and black handguards. It's my K.I.S.S. rifle. So far I'm loving it. I'd still like a converted Saiga in .308 someday.

That's my story of the day. I'm not going to lie, as far as a rifle to fight for my life with, I'm still going to pick the AR15.... but I can gladly say I'm an owner of both platforms and can admit BOTH of their strengths and weakness's. AR15's are more ergonomic, easier to shoot, more accurate which I proved to myself today, and easier to fire rapidly with. AK's are more accurate then some may think, use a nice big bullet, just look evil as hell and are simply just REALLY fun to shoot. The biggest downside to the AK is the bolt not locking back and magazine changes. The AR's biggest downside, IMO, is the 5.56 round. Before I put my foot in my mouth here, I think the 5.56 round is a good round, and it's done it's job for MANY years. I still have confidence it'll put down an attacker if I need to use it. But, one must admit, it's far from the best. So is the 7.62x39. This is why someday I'm going to have both an AR-10 and a Saiga in .308 converted to pistol grip. Overall, I love both platforms, and most of all, I'm happy :):):)

Congrats on your AK. Stock up on ammo if you can. There's some pretty good deals off and on lately...ammoman, JG (depending on shipping), etc.

I'm getting ready to thread for a FSC47 compensator on my 7.62 saiga (would be working on it now if the package didn't get stuck on closed highways). I put a Bulgy 74 break on my 5.45 recently and was impressed on faster follow ups. Got my interested in doing something to my 7.62.

Might want to consider a Hogue, Ergo or other rubber grip if you're doing furniture upgrades. They are nice when you run a bit through at a time....less fatigue on the hand.

Have fun with your new rifle.

I'd love to have a Saiga. I think I comment on a post of yours before :)

I forgot to mention the Hogue grip when I was mentioning things I want to do. But I'm certainly keeping it simple, and that's who I think AK's should be. Simple. My AR is my tacticool toy :)

Granted......the Ak's are simple and effective. That's the way they should be. That's the way they were built. Personally, I might pick the AK over the AR15 if I had to leave one behind. That's just me. I tend to place my trust in experience. It is what it is, and I still depend on my AR15 for certain situations.

Video! With my neutered single stack AK. Man, I need to grind out the magwell.
    http://img149.imageshack.us/i/8u2.mp4/

I have one with the AR, but the sound is about half a second too fast. It's ok on my phone, but it must have uploaded wrong or something. Don't mind the tough guy face in the beginning. It wasn't intentional, HAHA!
    http://img31.imageshack.us/i/pya.mp4/

A lot of AK threads lately :)

Links