My tactical AK-47 rifle build; any feedback?

My tactical AK-47 rifle build; any feedback?

This is a discussion on My tactical AK-47 rifle build; any feedback? within the Defensive Rifles & Shotgun Discussion forums, part of the Related Topics category; I must be in a tactical frame of mind, 'cause on top of my 870P tactical shotgun build ( http://www.defensivecarry.com/vbulle...uild.-Thoughts ), I got around to ...

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Question My tactical AK-47 rifle build; any feedback?

I must be in a tactical frame of mind, 'cause on top of my 870P tactical shotgun build (http://www.defensivecarry.com/vbulle...uild.-Thoughts), I got around to making my AK-47 STG-2000C (a civilian 7.62 Weiger STG-942) a bit more shootable by adding a forend grip, an oversized charging handle, a bolt hold-open, a cheek rest, a Picatinny rail, a recoil butt pad, a BlackJack buffer, and a (Chinese) red dot scope (PS: Do the Eastern Block countries think that the AK's iron sights are actually usable?? ).

I believe I modified my AK with all of the high points of what a tactical carbine should be, but I'm kind of new to the world of AK-47s... Any thoughts?

-Bill

Attached Images

IMO......that's sure pretty to look at. I'm sure the mods you've made to it fit you well. Tactical? Well, I tend to think of the AK47 as tactical from the start in it's original form with few amenities.
    I believe I modified my AK with all of the high points of what a tactical carbine should be
    High points and what a tactical carbine should be only convey to the individual and the owner. Making what you want out of it is always a great experience and a sense of self satisfaction. Impress yourself first and others later. I'm sure it will serve you well and you should always be proud of your firearms.

PS: Do the Eastern Block countries think that the AK's iron sights are actually usable??
    Actually.....yes. For the range intended they work very well depending on the model and the make. The AK was never intended to be a sniper rifle by any means. I personally think of it as a 300yd weapon max with a .308 short. The AR15 in 5.56 can be effective to 500yds with open sights. Your pic shows something other than original AK front sight anyway. Learning how to use the standard AK sights is a good thing IMO. An AK47 is one of two things....a CQB weapon in a large caliber, or a good cover and fire for effect. I personally like the AK47 since it's mainly our enemies choice of firearms on the field of battle. I like getting as close to the enemy as possible and using their own tools against them. Simply put....the AK47 holds it's own for mission specific requirements. Not much you can do to improve that. The AK47 depends on the basics for deployment. Why do you think the countries that employ this weapon have been doing so for forty plus years without a need for change? It s what it is. Improvements?

I've got an AMD-65 variant that comes standard with a front grip. I removed it. When the side folding stock is closed, it's very tidy since the barrel is only 12" before the 4" muzzle brake is added to make it a legal 16". Open the stock, and it still remains a tidy beast. I'm not looking for hunting rifle accuracy--Minute of Man at 200 is good for me. Even without a cheek weld on the wire folding stock, I shoot 3-4" groups at 100 yds even with a shorter sight radius that most AK's, and I'm good with that...

I like what you've done with yours. They're not ad "moddable" as an AR, but fun, functional that serve their intended purpose very well.

Cheers.
    One Riot, One Ranger. Long live the Republic of Texas.

JOIN THE NRA AND DO IT TODAY!!

VIP Member
    S. Florida, north of the Miami mess, south of the Mouse trap
    "Do the Eastern Block countries think that the AK's iron sights are actually usable?? "

Not really, and they didn't care. That wasn't the intent of the AK. Their idea was that if they produced a cheap assault rifle with crappy sights and distributed it by the millions, if a hundred of them were shooting at you--crappy sights and all--someone was going to hit you.
    Retired USAF E-8. Lighten up and enjoy life because:
    Paranoia strikes deep, into your heart it will creep. It starts when you're always afraid... "For What It's Worth" Buffalo Springfield

If you're happy with it, that's the main thing.
    "I do what I do." Cpl 'coach' Bowden, "Southern Comfort".

Thanks for the comments guys. My AK-47 "improvements" just personally help me to better shoot the AK accurately and comfortably, since I am far more use to the AR platform (M16A1, specifically); so my mods will assist me in not embarrassing myself in USPSA rifle side-matches. (I am just too use to bolt hold-open capabilities and peep sites (with a decent sight radius!), as well as vertical fore-grips [even my shotgun has one, as now-a-days it just feels uncomfortable for me to hold up things horizontally with my left hand]). I even feel kind of weired without a forward assist, but the AK doesn't even remotely need one with its heavy bolt return power.

Why didn't I just get an AR? The cost! It was simply more than my wife would tolerate without hitting me over the head. Still, I truly appreciate the AK's brute strength, extreme simplicity, and "primitiveness" (A surgeon might say that the AR is a precision scalpel, while the AK is a crude meat clever!)

-Bill

I like the smiley face.

As for irons If you don't know already...Krebs makes a peep sight that replaces rear blade. XS also makes some big dot and variants that replace factory set ups.

I put an Ultimak on my 5.45 with a PA red dot, so far so good.

Enjoy running your AK, they are fun.

RKM
    Quote Originally Posted by zero View Post
    As for irons If you don't know already...Krebs makes a peep sight that replaces rear blade.
    I need to look into that. I don't like the rear sight at all.

I have one (Krebs peep) on my SA85-M and I am quite pleased with it. It is a significant improvement over the stock sight. The diameter of the aperture is of sufficient size that is is almost like a ghost ring compared to the small aperture peep sights.
    "I do what I do." Cpl 'coach' Bowden, "Southern Comfort".

VIP Member
    As stated the mods you made to the rifle will serve your intended purpose.

Their are three main complaints with the AK series.

The rear sight notch is to small. It is very small. Get a Rifle Dynamics sight mod or a Krebs peep to solve this issue. If you have the skill open it up with a file just a bit, it works fine.
    The safety is not ergonomic. The US and its allies are the only ones who practice safety on, off, green, amber, red conditions and so on. Soviet doctrine under which this rifle was designed was/is very simple. Take the safety off, chamber a round, if you are going to shoot someone in the near future leave it off and keep your finger off the trigger, if you are not going to shoot someone in the near future put the safety on. Very simple.
    The third issue is the mag release and the fact you have to rock the mags in. Ok you do the same thing with the M-14 and FN/FAL practice doing it and get over it.

I keep my AK's simple as they were designed to be. I have both stock AK's and one is being built as we speak. This is the East German variant that I carry daily here. Except for the rear sight mod being opened up it is stock. I have since added a rail section to the left side of the forearm to mount a surefire light since this photo was taken.

This is the custom. This is not my rifle but the style that it will be built in.

This rifle started out as a Chinese Mak-90 one of the finest AK's ever built. It has the Fuller sight mods front and rear, Bolten gas block, Ultimak rail system and he has fit a AK 100 side folder to the rifle along with some simple internal mods to the trigger and retaining plate. It is about as simple direct and to the point as you can get.

Everything you added hopefully work for you. Just remember the AK is not and M4 and no matter how much stuff you add it will never run like one. Run an AK as the platform it was designed as and it will do everything you want to do. I borrowed this quote from another website simply because it sums up the AK so well. It is from a member of the Special Operations Community.

“The AK? Nothing wrong with it,
    Inaccurate? Step out to 300 yards and give me a mag.
    Complicated? I’ve seen 12 year old's on the 2-way range run it.
    This cheap, simple, easy to maintain gun has killed a lot of bad mothers. I have a nice scar on my leg from some amateur who used this “cheap gun” to tattoo my”professional” butt.
    I prefer the M-4 but I have used the AK in combat. My enemy uses the AK so I have spent a lot of time learning to use it. Some guys far more experienced than I prefer the AK.
    Who makes a good one? Whoever follows Mr Kalashnikov's design, uses the right materials and processes and who won’t allow stuff to bear their name

Quote edited for language content as I don't want to get in trouble again for bad language.
    "A first rate man with a third rate gun is far better than the other way around". The gun is a tool, you are the craftsman that makes it work. There are those who say "if I had to do it, I could" yet they never go out and train to do it. Don't let stupid be your mindset. Harryball 2013

Distinguished Member Array pirate's Avatar
    From looking at your photos I have a couple of questions....it appears from the forend and AR style flash hidder this AK started life as a STG 2000, is that correct? For those who are unaware the STG 2000 is basically a Romanian WASR with furniture installed to resemble East German Weigner design. (IO, Inc.) builds these rifles. Just curious but why did you change the furniture if you bought a STG 2000 instead of a regular WASR? How did you attach the front vertical grip? It looks like you must have cut a opening in the bottom of the two piece forend and attached the vertical grip to the barrel maybe with some sort of barrel clamp. If this is the case you should realize that anything clamped to a rifle barrel can and usually does adversely effect accuracy because it alters the barrel harmonics.

Last edited by pirate; December 19th, 2010 at 12:45 PM.
    When I leave the home port:
    S&W 642 Airweight, Ruger SP 101, Colt Detective Spec., CZ RAMI, Kahr PM9, Kahr CW40, S&W Model 10-7, Glock 30, 19, and 26, Browning Hi Power, CZ82, Colt Commander, Dan Wesson PM7, Ruger LCP

What makes it "tactical"?
    Magazine <> clip - know the difference

martyr is a fancy name for crappy fighter
    You have never lived until you have almost died. For those that have fought for it, life has a special flavor the protected will never know

Distinguished Member Array pirate's Avatar
    1. Of, relating to, or using tactics.
    a. Of, relating to, used in, or involving military or naval operations that are smaller, closer to base, and of less long-term significance than strategic operations.
    b. Carried out in support of military or naval operations: tactical bombing.
    3. Characterized by adroitness, ingenuity, or skill.

We all know "tactical" is one of those terms that is overused and misuse on gun forums and in the media.

But the bottom line is 95% of the people on this forum will never fire a weapon in self defense, much less in a real military, LE or tactical sense.........its just for fun and there is nothing wrong with that. While I certainly have several serious duty firearms that I train and compete with, most of my extensive firearms collection are owned by me just for the fun of it (big boy toys). And tha'ts true for most people IMO.
    When I leave the home port:
    S&W 642 Airweight, Ruger SP 101, Colt Detective Spec., CZ RAMI, Kahr PM9, Kahr CW40, S&W Model 10-7, Glock 30, 19, and 26, Browning Hi Power, CZ82, Colt Commander, Dan Wesson PM7, Ruger LCP

Thanks TacMan, I will open my rear sight up to a Fuller mod width of 0.140". (BTW, it simply amazes me the number of people I read on forums who purchase a Rifle Dynamics Fuller mod sight for $85, instead of simply taking a small file to their own rear sight for $0!! Some people have money to burn, I guess.)

Hi Pirate. Yes, it is an STG-2000-C model, and I installed the forward vertical grip by the method you state (using a UTG Universal Single-Rail Barrel Mount with 5 Picatinny Slots for $7.65). Thanks; I did think very much on the effect on accuracy such a setup would have on my AK, but I decided that any (severe) accuracy issues would be extremely mitigated due to two things: 1. The forend clamp is almost touching the front of the rear sight assembly, as opposed to being anywhere even close to the front half of the barrel; 2. I will always be using the foregrip, and will sight the weapon in using it.

Hi Zero. I love peep sights, but ones that are 10" from my eye, such as are most of the after-market peeps for the AK, leave me with a very uncomfortable feeling! (Wish I could afford one of those great rear-mounted Tech-Sights, that's for sure!).

-Bill

I eschew vertical foreend grips on the AK; they interfere with reloading. I also would prefer that any optic on an AK47 either cowitness or be removable by quick detach mounts. Battery operated devices can and will fail - what do you do then?

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Links