AR vs AK

This is a discussion on AR vs AK within the Defensive Rifles & Shotgun Discussion forums, part of the Related Topics category; Either will kill you dead. The .5.56/.223 may have better range, but how many people can hit something at 500 yrds? As far as reliability, ...

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
Like Tree1Likes

Thread: AR vs AK

VIP Member
    S. Florida, north of the Miami mess, south of the Mouse trap
    Either will kill you dead. The .5.56/.223 may have better range, but how many people can hit something at 500 yrds?

As far as reliability, I never had any issues with the over-worked, wornout Air Force range M-16s. My son's been shooting Mil firearms (M-16, M4, Berettas, etc.) for fifteeen years, says he can count the total number of failures on one hand and have fingers left over, and doesn't understand why so many seem to have issues with firearms feeding/firing.
    Retired USAF E-8. Remember: You're being watched!
    Paranoia strikes deep, into your heart it will creep. It starts when you're always afraid... "For What It's Worth" Buffalo Springfield

2. Remove Ads

Distinguished Member Array pirate's Avatar
    I own several of both platforms and like both for different reasons, but if I had to run out the door with only one rifle and not know when I would get back home. if ever.....I pick the AK.

And I have around 6K rounds of 7.62x39 and 3K 5.45x39 on hand now.

Tough, reliable and a bit rough around the edges....like the owner!

When I leave the home port:
    S&W 642 Airweight, Ruger SP 101, Colt Detective Spec., CZ RAMI, Kahr PM9, Kahr CW40, S&W Model 10-7, Glock 30, 19, and 26, Browning Hi Power, CZ82, Colt Commander, Dan Wesson PM7, Ruger LCP

I'll stay with the AR. If I run out of 5.56ammo or spare parts (or AR's), it's because the world the has ended and heaven doesn't have any.
    "Being PARANOID is just plain smart thinking when they are really out to get you!"

Quote Originally Posted by INccwchris View Post
    In a shtf situation, would you rather have an AK-47 or a variant of or an AR-15. Personally, I want the AK, just because it is not as dependent on oiling or cleaning+ it is a bigger round that i think is more dependable and available to pick up off an enemy
    AK for me as well. Not necessarily for your reasons....but reasons of my own. I have both myself, and I've learned several weapon systems courtesy of the American taxpayer and unlimited ammo. SHTF and I'm leaving out with my AK47 or I'm defending my realm with it. The AR15/M16 is a good weapon....something my life depended upon at one time. What I'd rather have in the end days shouldn't sway you in any way. I'll go down shooting no matter what. If it were a game of chess, I'd rank the AK47 for more points. That's just me.

what about a ak in 223?? i got one and it is the best of both worlds.
    An armed man is a citizen. An unarmed man is a subject.

Red State State of Mind

Quote Originally Posted by frankmako View Post
    I'm old school. An AK means a 7.62X39 to me......anything else would be uncivilized.

Administrator
    I'm grabbing one of my IMI Israeli built .223/5.56 Galils which would be AK format of exemplary build. Not that I have anything personally against the AR but, I shoot the Galil very well & it's a flawlessly functioning tack-driver with almost zilch recoil and no muzzle rise. So I have no real reason to switch over to the AR platform.
    It is a bit on the heavy side though but I'm a mensch & I can handle lugging it. It's an awesome machine stoked with two 50 round mags taped together.

Another downside is that an original Action Arms or Magnum Research Galil import is $$$$ & EVERYTHING (accessory wise) is also expensive for the Galil.

I would choose my AK over an AR any day.

I have shot both and the AK with the heavier bullet is the way to go IMHO. My eyes are only good to 200-300 yards.
    MNBurl

"If everyone is thinking alike, then somebody isn't thinking" - George S. Patton.

What kind of ammo is most prevalent in your area? .223/5.56mm or the 7.62x39mm
    Magazine <> clip - know the difference

martyr is a fancy name for crappy fighter
    You have never lived until you have almost died. For those that have fought for it, life has a special flavor the protected will never know

I'll grab my AK-74. AK reliable and near AR accuracy with the ability to carry as many rounds of 5.45x39 as I can of 5.56.
    "If we loose Freedom here, there's no place to escape to. This is the Last Place on Earth!" Ronald Reagan

Yup, define enemy.

There's way more .223 brass at the range than 7.62x39, not even in the same ballpark.

There's a prof shooting school that's running 10K's of rounds thru their AR's w/o cleaning (just a couple drops of oil on the BCG) and no malf's. Go figure.

Distinguished Member Array pirate's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by frankmako View Post
    An AK in a NATO caliber........sacrilege. Kind of defeats the purpose. The AK cannot ring the performance the .223 round is capable of and the round does not have the “knock down” capability of the 7.62x39 round. Heck just get an AK74 in the much cheaper to feed caliber of 5.45x39 which balistically is basically the same as the .223.
    When I leave the home port:
    S&W 642 Airweight, Ruger SP 101, Colt Detective Spec., CZ RAMI, Kahr PM9, Kahr CW40, S&W Model 10-7, Glock 30, 19, and 26, Browning Hi Power, CZ82, Colt Commander, Dan Wesson PM7, Ruger LCP

AR all the way. . . in the standard 5.56 chambering. If we're invaded, there's no guarantee they'll be using AKs, and whether it's a foreign invasion or the Zombie apocalypse, our military will be everywhere with their fighting. Not only will there be a lot more 5.56 and .223 ammo laying around, but there will be a whole lot more magazines laying around to pick up. Also, spare parts if my own weapon fails.

Oh, and I have a DPMS LR-308. . . takes the same mags as the new sniper system (sr-25) our military uses, and the same ammo (7.62x51 or .308) as a lot of the machine guns and sniper systems in use by a lot of military forces <shrug>.

Bring on the Zombies :-D

I am going for both. They are both great platforms and proven in battle.. I am starting with the AR first..
    Blessed be the LORD my strength which teacheth my hands to war, and my fingers to fight. PSALM 144:1

I CLING to my guns and my Bible.

Distinguished Member Array Jason Storm's Avatar
    Although the AK is more reliable and shoots bigger caliber, I'd still prefer the AR as it is what I have trained with, easy to manipulate, quicker to reload, ammo/spare parts are easier to find, accomodates more accessories, easy to handle, and very accurate.

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Links